Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
Kind of fits in with a driving experience I had a couple of weeks ago.  ...

Seems that driving a high end car gives you privilege.

People like that are used to bullying to get their way.
Will

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
Seems that driving a high end car gives you privilege.

Haha, oh man, next time I'm at the grocery store I usually shop at I should take a picture of the cars parked in the fire lane right in front of the store. Nine times out of ten it's some douchecanoe in a BMW, Mercedes-Benz or Audi.

I see it so often now I don't just think "what an asshole", I call them assholes to their faces. Or rather, my favourite go-to comment is: "You may or may not be an asshole, but you certainly park your car like one." :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 93JC on July 21, 2016, 05:23:33 PM
Haha, oh man, next time I'm at the grocery store I usually shop at I should take a picture of the cars parked in the fire lane right in front of the store. Nine times out of ten it's some douchecanoe in a BMW, Mercedes-Benz or Audi.

I see it so often now I don't just think "what an asshole", I call them assholes to their faces. Or rather, my favourite go-to comment is: "You may or may not be an asshole, but you certainly park your car like one." :lol:
Haha, good man.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on July 21, 2016, 05:23:33 PM

Dude I see that all the time, too.  I'm at the point where I shamelessly will give a death glare or do a triple take between the "No Parking" sign or equivalent and the offending vehicle.  Happens allll the time at Walmart, too. 

Bitch, there are plenty of spots open, I don't care if you're running in for something "quick."

12,000 RPM

Elon has an idea that could actually help big rigs in a big way:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/teslas-plan-to-build-a-semi-truck-is-the-smartest-idea-1784065871

I think the best thing for him to do though would be to sell the batteries + tech and leave the truck building to the truck builders though. And plug away on the autonomous stuff in private

MX793

The trucking industry is a really tough nut to crack for a newcomer.  Both Ford and GM tried many years ago and both failed, despite being kings of the auto industry.  Class 8 truck industry just doesn't work on the same model as the auto industry.  And the idea of having trailers with batteries and charged trailers waiting at distribution centers is the dream of somebody whose never been to a truck yard.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Yeah, that Jalopnik article doesn't make any sense.  Tesla trucks would need to carry Tesla trailers then too.  That's a whole lot of trucks and trailers that would need to come out to have any chance at disrupting the current market.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Fair assessments.

I thought trailers and containers were standardized though. But yea adding batteries to the freight equation could be tough.

MrH

They are.  That's exactly the problem.  The whole industry is built around that interchangeability to some degree.  Now you want to add in that you have to pair specific types of trucks with specific types of trailers really limits what you can do with them.

This idea would be best for 3PLs that do some sort of constant milk run situation between warehouses and production facilities.  That makes a lot more sense than any sort of long distance hauling.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Or UPS/FedEx/DHL. An electric 26 foot box truck would also work well for them.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

I've long thought that postal vans were the ideal use of electric vehicles.

The USPS can order enough of them to make pursuing the contract worthwhile for lots of companies, they have the means to instal their own infrastructure, and the trucks are used during daylight hours and are parked for the night, when they could recharge.

The actual miles they put on are pretty low, as are their speeds and the service is all stop and start where electrics would make tons of sense.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

O hell yea. Delivery vehicles are an obvious target. We spent that money on Solyndra though

CaminoRacer

Amazon has a fleet of Prime semi trucks/trailers. Would not be surprised if they were an early customer of some sort of electric truck.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 22, 2016, 09:27:58 AM

The USPS can order enough of them to make pursuing the contract worthwhile for lots of companies, they have the means to instal their own infrastructure, and the trucks are used during daylight hours and are parked for the night, when they could recharge.

The actual miles they put on are pretty low, as are their speeds and the service is all stop and start where electrics would make tons of sense.

+1

Each Post Office could determine how many they would need- wouldn't make sense for rural routes but when I lived in UT the mailman would park, walk around the block, drive to the next block, repeat.

Where I live now, there are clusters of mailboxes in each neighborhood, truck would drive a few miles, park a half hour, drive, repeat.

Solar panels on the roof could help too, but that might be overkill, might just need a nightly charge.

But the USPS is the best example of anything, they are completely self-sustaining. I wonder if they contract out maintenance now??
Will

Soup DeVille

They contract out a lot of things, but I think they have their own mechanics for minor issues.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 22, 2016, 09:27:58 AM

I recall when they used to delivery milk, that the vans they used were electric...a bunch of car batteries. Good for stop and go.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

AutobahnSHO

All about those views...
Will

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 22, 2016, 09:47:09 PM
I recall when they used to delivery milk, that the vans they used were electric...a bunch of car batteries. Good for stop and go.

I don't know about that, but this may be my favorite moment in Top Gear history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vma72nSL7g

James May is the best. 
"No, not eggs, James."
"No, no you're wrong.  Eggs come from the milkman."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Holy shit, the 911 Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and a quarter mile in 10.6?  That's a dead heat to 60 with a Hayabusa. 

Is it also DSG only now?  The world sucks. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Not far off in the quarter either. But both are blunt speed hammers. Give me the 12 second SV650/base Carrera 7MT instead.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 25, 2016, 12:09:34 PM
Not far off in the quarter either. But both are blunt speed hammers. Give me the 12 second SV650/base Carrera 7MT instead.

It's amazing what these cars do now.  Back in the day, the superiest of supercars was like 4 seconds.  Now even the youngest son of a Greek shipping magnate can afford a 911 Turbo which can run neck and neck with a Dubaian sheikh's Bugatti Veyron (for a while, anyway).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Yeah, the Turbo S continues to get more and more absurd.  IMO, it's the perfect daily driver.  If I won the lottery, that's what I'd daily.

You should watch a launch in slow motion for the new one.  It's crazy.  The rear wheels actually change position within the wheel wells substantially.  Like, they slide forward in the wheel well.  The rubber mounts are basically all loaded up to such a degree that there's a noticeable change.  It's wild they don't explode with every launch.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

You would pick a Turbo S over a 911R? :confused:

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 25, 2016, 12:43:45 PM
The Turbo S has the distinct advantage of a simple hassle free ordering and buying experience. I agree that it is a fantastic daily.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 25, 2016, 12:09:34 PM
Agree with this however. That MT video of the base Carrera made me a believer.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 25, 2016, 12:43:45 PM

To daily drive?  Yeah, of course.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 25, 2016, 12:45:36 PM
The Turbo S has the distinct advantage of a simple hassle free ordering and buying experience. I agree that it is a fantastic daily.
If you win the lotto, there is no such thing as a hassle anymore. :lol: A 911 R is worth 3-4x the price of a Turbo S IMO, for many reasons.

MrH

I wouldn't object to buying a 911R too, but they aren't even available.  But I wouldn't daily one.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

If I win the lotto, my daily will be a Pagani and my weekend toy will be a Koenigsegg