Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 03, 2016, 09:28:01 PM
I'm not denying their existence.  As someone who has apparently owned 4 minivans with zero sunroofs, you're just proving my point. ;)

I buy the cheap ones though. Last buy was 12yrs old. :huh:

BTW Honda didn't put sunroofs on before 2004. 2004 is also the year Toyota started the roll-down middle-seat windows.  For some reason that's the time period a lot of the minis gained many of the car features. (hideable 3rd row, Chrysler one-upped that with Sto N Go)
Will

Raza

Okay, so Disco Sport, Q3, Q5, 2017 Tiguan. Is there anything else I should consider? Looking for no bigger than midsize, AWD is a must, nice interior, decent pedal feel, and around $50K with options. Looking to buy next year at the end of summer or beginning of fall.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Off the top of the dome- F-Pace, Macan 2.0T, X4... may not be a bad idea to check out the Sportage 2.0T, NX200t and RDX. Softer, cheaper, less dynamic and brand snobby... but you will get more for your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Speaking of SUVs, this is significant-

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/july-makes-official-americans-buy-suvscrossovers-cars/

Big eye opener- CUVs up 8%, cars down 9%. The tides are turning.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 04, 2016, 10:42:19 AM
RDX.

I'd look at that one, along with the boring Rav4 or CRV or Outback flat-six.  Then have extra money for add-ons.
Will

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on August 04, 2016, 09:49:58 AM
Okay, so Disco Sport, Q3, Q5, 2017 Tiguan. Is there anything else I should consider? Looking for no bigger than midsize, AWD is a must, nice interior, decent pedal feel, and around $50K with options. Looking to buy next year at the end of summer or beginning of fall.

Aren't you still in law school for awhile?

Volvo XC90 would be my pick.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MrH on August 04, 2016, 12:50:54 PM

He said no bigger than midsize. XC90 is huge compared to his suggestions.

The Q5 is truly outdated. Next X3 will be out by then.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 04, 2016, 10:42:19 AM
Off the top of the dome- F-Pace, Macan 2.0T, X4... may not be a bad idea to check out the Sportage 2.0T, NX200t and RDX. Softer, cheaper, less dynamic and brand snobby... but you will get more for your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

F-Pace and Macan are likely going to be too expensive. I will never touch a "Sports Activity Coupe"; I'd rather have an STI than a compromised coupe SUV. Kia? Really? I mean, that's realistically not going to happen. I admit to being too much of a snob for that. Plus it's super goofy looking. The RDX isn't as horribly disgusting to look at as other Acuras, I'll give that one a shot.

Edit: Macan is definitely too expensive. But the F-Pace might be in range.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 04, 2016, 12:50:54 PM

I'll be done law school in 9 months. Bar shortly after that. Then hopefully working. If I get a job at a place I need to drive to, I'll need something that can deal with the winter and the added space of an SUV will come in handy for house stuff. There have been so many times in the last few years where my brother and I lamented not having a more practical car between us.

XC90's enormous and Chinese. If I were to go Volvo, I'd choose the XC60.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 04, 2016, 01:04:31 PM
He said no bigger than midsize. XC90 is huge compared to his suggestions.

The Q5 is truly outdated. Next X3 will be out by then.

I'll look into the X3. Not super impressed by anything BMW is making right now, and I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 04, 2016, 10:44:33 AM
Speaking of SUVs, this is significant-

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/july-makes-official-americans-buy-suvscrossovers-cars/

Big eye opener- CUVs up 8%, cars down 9%. The tides are turning.

I look around at sedans and see stagnation and nothing exciting. And I'm willing to make compromises with an SUV I wouldn't with a sedan--namely the manual transmission. SUV with an auto is necessary by availability. There are still sedans with manuals, and that's the only way I'd have one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

68_427

Raza check the MB GLC.  Merc interiors are killing the game right now and it looks really good
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 68_427 on August 04, 2016, 03:06:30 PM
Raza check the MB GLC.  Merc interiors are killing the game right now and it looks really good
GLC is nice.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

GLC is sexy AF. Would wife

Quote from: MX793 on August 04, 2016, 02:12:27 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29892/how-to-kill-the-crossover/
Jack sure knows how to provoke. Lol @ using an Accord and CR-V as examples.... they make a solid case for the CUV. CR-V gets 1MPG less combined than the Accord with the same engine. The near triple cargo space with the seats up as well as the easier ingress/egress are legit advantages. CR-V weighs a whopping 200lb more than the Accord (aka what a theoretical Accord wagon would weigh, with nowhere near the cargo space). And that he had to present such an extreme scenario to demonstrate the handling discrepancy shows how little it really matters.

There will always be money in drivers cars because there will always be people who enjoy driving. If anything the shift to CUVs will allow less compromise in non CUVs.

giant_mtb

I don't understand the point of automatic transmissions with "manual mode" that have super shit programming.

Detailed/drove a Traverse today.

Was cruising down the highway, 60mph.  Put it into manual mode.  Wanted to test the low-end grunt a bit, so I gave 'er some gas in 6th gear.  And what does the stupid thing do?  Downshifts two gears.  What in the actual fuck is the point if it's just going to downshift on its own?  :wtf:

So many vehicles seem to do this and it drives me bananas. 

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 04, 2016, 03:06:30 PM

I'd look at the GLC, but I value a car that can actually get me to my destination, so I'm wary of owning another Mercedes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 04, 2016, 04:12:04 PM
I don't understand the point of automatic transmissions with "manual mode" that have super shit programming.

Was cruising down the highway, 60mph.  Put it into manual mode.  Wanted to test the low-end grunt a bit, so I gave 'er some gas in 6th gear.  And what does the stupid thing do?  Downshifts two gears.  What in the actual fuck is the point if it's just going to downshift on its own?  :wtf:

GM is particularly bad at this. My wife's Acadia does the same thing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 04, 2016, 04:18:13 PM
I'd look at the GLC, but I value a car that can actually get me to my destination, so I'm wary of owning another Mercedes.

AFAIK Merc is out of its quality doldrums these days.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 04, 2016, 04:12:04 PM

The 8AT in my dad's Lexus used to secretly upshift and downshift in manual mode. Aka, there really was no manual mode.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 04, 2016, 04:19:36 PM
AFAIK Merc is out of its quality doldrums these days.

And yet the memories of being stranded several times in MBs act as a mental block.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2016, 04:19:00 PM
GM is particularly bad at this. My wife's Acadia does the same thing.

Yes.  Every goddamn GM vehicle with that stupid transmission (Acadias, Terrains, Traverses, Equinoxes) does it.  I don't know why they even bother.

However, I guess it is slightly analogous to the days when autos had an L/1, 2, and sometimes a 3.  You could select 3 and it would run gears 1-3 as it normally would, but just wouldn't shift up past that.  At least, I think that's how they operated...I don't recall being in a 2 or 3 and feeling like it was starting off in 2nd or 3rd...I suppose that would be less than ideal for da torque converter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 04, 2016, 04:27:32 PM
Yes.  Every goddamn GM vehicle with that stupid transmission (Acadias, Terrains, Traverses, Equinoxes) does it.  I don't know why they even bother.

However, I guess it is slightly analogous to the days when autos had an L/1, 2, and sometimes a 3.  You could select 3 and it would run gears 1-3 as it normally would, but just wouldn't shift up past that.  At least, I think that's how they operated...I don't recall being in a 2 or 3 and feeling like it was starting off in 2nd or 3rd...I suppose that would be less than ideal for da torque converter.

That is how they operated stock from the factory, yeah. You could get any number of shift reprogramming kits to make it hold a gear, or even do any number of odd things like go into reverse at any speed, as well as clutch conversions that eliminated the TC.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Eliminating TC is as easy as removing the ABS fuse. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 04, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
Eliminating TC is as easy as removing the ABS fuse. :lol:

I tried looking for the ABS fuse on my car; can you believe it's not even listed in the shop manual?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2016, 04:40:46 PM
I tried looking for the ABS fuse on my car; can you believe it's not even listed in the shop manual?

On a modern car?  Yeah, I'd believe it.  On an older car...wtf? 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 04, 2016, 04:47:53 PM
On a modern car?  Yeah, I'd believe it.  On an older car...wtf? 

Yes, that was a joke. The car is not exactly pre-ABS, but it doesn't have it, and I don't know how it would get rid of the torque converter anyways.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2016, 04:50:53 PM
Yes, that was a joke. The car is not exactly pre-ABS, but it doesn't have it.

Oh.  That car.  Shit went right over my head.  :lol:

*retroactive LOL*

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on August 04, 2016, 04:20:47 PM
And yet the memories of being stranded several times in MBs act as a mental block.
The GLC is no more or less reliable than the other cars you are considering.

My last Accord lunched 3 engines. Mostly my fault though. But still, car companies change. Remember how Hyundais were back when you were pushing the E320?

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 04, 2016, 05:07:46 PM
The GLC is no more or less reliable than the other cars you are considering.

My last Accord lunched 3 engines. Mostly my fault though. But still, car companies change. Remember how Hyundais were back when you were pushing the E320?

May or may not be rational, but it's there.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i