Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

veeman

I'd test drive the Lexus RX F-type.  You'll probably like the Audi Q5 better but you may be surprised.  I find the styling of the new RX very good.

A midsize sedan with fold down rear seats (not just a small pass through for skis) has an enormous amount of room especially if it's just you and your brother.  Maybe also consider an Audi A6 or certified S6.

A mattress is easier to carry on the roof of an SUV though.  I've put them as well as Christmas trees on top of my Sonata though without any problem. 

Raza

Quote from: veeman on August 04, 2016, 05:33:08 PM
I'd test drive the Lexus RX F-type.  You'll probably like the Audi Q5 better but you may be surprised.  I find the styling of the new RX very good.

A midsize sedan with fold down rear seats (not just a small pass through for skis) has an enormous amount of room especially if it's just you and your brother.  Maybe also consider an Audi A6 or certified S6.

A mattress is easier to carry on the roof of an SUV though.  I've put them as well as Christmas trees on top of my Sonata though without any problem.

RX F-Sport starts at 12K more than the Discovery Sport. Plus, it's a Lexus RX--I'm not a suburban mother of two.  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 04, 2016, 04:19:36 PM
AFAIK Merc is out of its quality doldrums these days.

Having wasted an entire year of my life working countless hours launching the Mercedes C class, I can assure you the quality doldrums are not gone :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on August 04, 2016, 01:36:10 PM
I'll be done law school in 9 months. Bar shortly after that. Then hopefully working. If I get a job at a place I need to drive to, I'll need something that can deal with the winter and the added space of an SUV will come in handy for house stuff. There have been so many times in the last few years where my brother and I lamented not having a more practical car between us.

XC90's enormous and Chinese. If I were to go Volvo, I'd choose the XC60.

It's not all that much bigger. Price is about the same. Tons of value for the money. Thatd be my pick.

I actually like the RX350 pick too. The new ones look great.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

https://smallcar.com

Awesome looking idea, but why do I think that an STi powered Vanagon might be just slightly unsafe?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2016, 07:48:54 PM
https://smallcar.com

Awesome looking idea, but why do I think that an STi powered Vanagon might be just slightly unsafe?

Definitely want a brake upgrade, slightly stiffer springs, and sway bars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 04, 2016, 08:06:37 PM

I remember the driving position itself making me uncomfortable. There is absolutely nothing in front of ortho the left of you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 04, 2016, 08:26:02 PM
I remember the driving position itself making me uncomfortable. There is absolutely nothing in front of ortho the left of you.

Say bye-bye to your legs in an accident.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 04, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
Eliminating TC is as easy as removing the ABS fuse. :lol:

Odyssey has a big button next to the cruise control to turn off TC. :rockon: :rockon:  And they did the cruise right- it's a depressible button that stays depressed. ie Turn the car off and back on and I don't have to "turn cruise back on" because it's still on.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 04, 2016, 03:32:55 PM
CR-V weighs a whopping 200lb more than the Accord (aka what a theoretical Accord wagon would weigh, with nowhere near the cargo space).

You'd be surprised. My Legacy wagon had the same amount of space as a PT cruiser. One is taller, one is longer.
Though the CRV might be easier to load than a wagon, seats down it's awkward to slide stuff from the tailgate all the way forward in a wagon. And the rear doors make it tricky to load from the side.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Saw a red late-series BMW 5er wagon this morning.

So sexy. They do wagons right over in the Wimmerland.
Will

giant_mtb

Finally installed the dash cam I had in the Audi in the Tacoma.  Cheap Chinese 720p with date stamp, cyclic recording, motion detection, and a rear view camera. Never used the rear view in the audi but I'm gonna mount it in the tacoma.

Rupert

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 04, 2016, 08:06:37 PM

And crumple zones.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

I don't get it, where does that leave the Pilot???
Will

Raza

Perhaps it's a sign of the times, or maybe my changing tastes, but I think SUVs may be the best looking cars on the road today.  Current sedans just don't do it.  Barring very few outliers, every sedan on the market is either ugly or boring.  But there are a lot of good looking SUVs:

There are some sports and GT cars that still look good, but sedans all seem to suck, wagons are dead, there aren't that many nice hatches (Golf/GTI and Mazda3, basically, Focus ST maybe), minivans will always look gross.  And it's not like all SUVs are good looking, most suck too.  But it seems like there are more good looking SUVs than regular cars. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

I feel like SUV/CUV's are morphing in to slightly raised hatchbacks.  :lol:

I mean, if you get a Q5 and then lower it, you essentially have an A4 hatchback.   :praise:

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 08, 2016, 12:05:29 PM
I feel like SUV/CUV's are morphing in to slightly raised hatchbacks.  :lol:

I mean, if you get a Q5 and then lower it, you essentially have an A4 hatchback.   :praise:

It's most evident with the really small ones, like the X1 and Q3.  They're just hatchbacks raised half an inch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on August 08, 2016, 12:09:54 PM
It's most evident with the really small ones, like the X1 and Q3.  They're just hatchbacks raised half an inch.

Don't forget the name-is-too-long Crosstrek..
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 08, 2016, 12:57:41 PM
Don't forget the name-is-too-long Crosstrek..

Is that supposed to be an SUV anyway? I thought it was like the Audi Allroad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

CUVs have good proportions- especially the ones on RWD platforms with larger wheels. Their larger greenhouses balance better with the all that sheetmetal in ways a low roof high shoulder sedan just can't.

Plus by metrics anyway many of them come close to if not equal the dynamics of the sedans they are based on. For example a run of the mill Q5 twirls the skidpad at 0.85g and stops from 70 in 167ft. Same year A4 does the same at 0.88 and 166ft. Does that mean a Q5 handles as well as an A4? Of course not, there are subjective considerations and other stuff that's not measured. But we're not talking the old topsy turvy ladder frame live axle beasts of the past... these things are just wagons with long suspension travel.

MrH

Who are you, and what have you done with Raza?

But yeah, honestly after living with the 4Runner for awhile, I don't think I'll go back to a sedan for daily driving for a long time.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on August 08, 2016, 01:29:20 PM
Is that supposed to be an SUV anyway? I thought it was like the Audi Allroad.

It's Subaru's CUV. It's the impreza, only taller.
Will

MexicoCityM3

Manufacturers are spending more money developing SUVs/CUVs than in any other category because there is where the money is. That includes design and it's becoming very noticeable.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Hey Raza- I know this is lukewarm at best- but I like the looks of the updated Kia Forte5

Someone on my commute has one in red... looks a lot lower and leaner than this picture, and the GTI/Focus ST.  There's still some hope

AutobahnSHO

Yeah I like those Fortes. I assume they handle like Kias thigh... :(
Will

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 08, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
Who are you, and what have you done with Raza?

But yeah, honestly after living with the 4Runner for awhile, I don't think I'll go back to a sedan for daily driving for a long time.

I don't think I could ever daily drive an SUV. They'd get regular work about 3 months out of the year, and occasionally used in the other 9. Sports car for daily driving and SUV for bad weather and hauling. The only bad thing is that you can't get one in a stick anymore, and automatics suck. I hate driving them. And it's not like you can get an AWD stick wagon anywhere, can you?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on August 08, 2016, 10:01:37 PM
I don't think I could ever daily drive an SUV. They'd get regular work about 3 months out of the year, and occasionally used in the other 9. Sports car for daily driving and SUV for bad weather and hauling. The only bad thing is that you can't get one in a stick anymore, and automatics suck. I hate driving them. And it's not like you can get an AWD stick wagon anywhere, can you?

Golf Alltrack wagon

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2016, 08:20:49 PM
Hey Raza- I know this is lukewarm at best- but I like the looks of the updated Kia Forte5

Someone on my commute has one in red... looks a lot lower and leaner than this picture, and the GTI/Focus ST.  There's still some hope

Not bad, actually. And the Optima isn't so bad either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 08, 2016, 10:02:24 PM
Golf Alltrack wagon

That doesn't sound like something that's sold in America.

I could probably get by with a Golf R, but the extra space of an SUV, when I'd only use it for a little while relatively, could easily come in handy. I bought some of those plastic boxes to store clothes and stuff today from Target. Put two in the trunk, but one had to go in the passenger footwell and another belted into the passenger seat. Sure, the Z4 has done a lot of hauling for such a small car, but having something more practical to make those trips would be nice. SUV/wagon plus sports car seems to be the ideal garage.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i