Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 09, 2016, 06:20:59 PM
Dog slow.

So? It's an SUV. 7.5 to 60 is quick enough for a car that will be mostly driven in the snow.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 09, 2016, 05:48:41 PM
That sounds like a really bad idea
Quote from: 2o6 on August 09, 2016, 05:49:42 PM
Just get an X3 and never look back

Why? To both.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

There's a reason why the X3 is basically the CRV of the class. It's very workable and more likely to stay together than the British cars. And although you say the cayenne is a "basically a touraeg" it more than likely isn't in many places that count, your VW dealer can't really service it. Parts are probably more bespoke and service will be different.

The X3 is also faster, more plentiful, and still pretty sharp to drive. There's a hell of a lot of used or new models to choose from, and long term reliability of the new 2.0T has been pretty OK.

The X3 is a fine car. Has about the same space inside as the Disco Sport and better, nicer, quieter than anything Subaru makes.

If you're set on SOLELY buying a car for AWD, and MK1 X1 wouldn't be bad either, although it's basically a 3 series hatchback in regards to carrying capacity. The old X1 is also a sharp car to drive, too.

2o6

I trust a 60k X3 far more than a 60k Porsche SUV

12,000 RPM

X3 is the CR-V in bad ways too though, generic AF, not very good looking, just gets the job done

F-Pace, GLC, Q5, Disco Sport all have way more of that "look back at it in your driveway" factor
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2016, 08:27:35 PM
X3 is the CR-V in bad ways too though, generic AF, not very good looking, just gets the job done

F-Pace, GLC, Q5, Disco Sport all have way more of that "look back at it in your driveway" factor

Q5 and GLC look meh too. The other two are nice.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

You can't get those used (at least not the GLC or F-Pace), and the X3 is better to live with than the Audi.

MrH

An outback or a 4Runner will reliably get you to work :huh: and the depreciation rates are nice
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I really want a Sprinter or Transit van. Put a small mattress in the back along with some other camping necessities, motorcycle, and some surf boards on top. Bam, roadtrip monster.

And I could drive it to work and have A/C. And it'll tow racecars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

How well would Eyesight be able to take Raza to work for him?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: MrH on August 09, 2016, 08:49:34 PM
An outback or a 4Runner will reliably get you to work :huh: and the depreciation rates are nice

They're not as comfortable

68_427

Big hummy Matt Farah drives the F-Pace harder than Raza will ever drive his SUV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYW8C-r8ndw

Edit:  I think we should have a One-Take thread.
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on August 09, 2016, 10:25:07 PM
:lol:

It was "solely" but autocorrect decided differently

93JC

68_427

Is this some gay mark gay kevin butt stuff or what
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Jesus Christ

Solely

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2016, 08:27:35 PM

That's true. My neighbors here have an X3, an ML, a Q5, and an Outback. The Q5 and even the ML catch the eye way more than the X3. X3 looks kind of cheap from the outside.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 09, 2016, 08:49:34 PM

CVTs are gross and never Toyota.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Yea lol @ 4Runner in a discussion about luxury crossovers

I do find it funny that our resident purist is going all in on crossovers though. They still make the 328i 4WD wagon

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on August 08, 2016, 10:24:27 PM
300hp IIRC for 2011 and newer models, and about the VW dealership thing... I don't know if any price difference is worth having the same people that service Jettas working on your car vs people who service Porsches.

FWIW, when I did own my GTI and worked in NJ (Cherry Hill) the dealer I went to sold VW/Porsche in one building and Audi's in another. So when I would drop my VW off for repairs it would be in the same garage as the Porsche's.  :lol:

I assumed they did have different mechanics though.  :hmm:

12,000 RPM

They worked in the same space but didn't share tools, like a kitchen that prepares kosher and non-kosher foods.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 05:53:02 AM
Yea lol @ 4Runner in a discussion about luxury crossovers

I do find it funny that our resident purist is going all in on crossovers though. They still make the 328i 4WD wagon

Well, it's about the right tool for the job. Assuming I get a good job out of law school, I should have the money to make two cars work, and over the past three years, my brother and I have on more than one occasion lamented the lack of space for cargo in our cars. If I were going for a one car solution, it's likely be something like an S5 cabriolet, but I'd rather keep the Z4 and pick up a small SUV for snow and hauling. It'd never be my daily driver, it'd never be a replacement for a fun car. It's like wearing a tie. You don't want to, but there are times when you pretty much have to. Plus, there is a certain romance about some SUVs, especially the Land Rovers.

I'll look at the 328i wagon again. Last I looked, comparably equipped, it was something like $12,000 more than a Discovery Sport. Not worth it, especially as it'll be an automatic BMW 3, and that will make me sad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Is this car new or used? I was under the impression it was used.

Because a used X1 would be perfect.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 10, 2016, 08:19:52 AM
Is this car new or used? I was under the impression it was used.

Because a used X1 would be perfect.

Likely new. I only looked at used because of the manual Cayennes. I want to lease something for the length of the warranty and never have to worry about it.

It does go to show you how out of touch I am with this market. I didn't know the X1 has been around long enough for there to be two generations.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 08:20:46 AM

Likely new. I only looked at used because of the manual Cayennes. I want to lease something for the length of the warranty and never have to worry about it.

It does go to show you how out of touch I am with this market. I didn't know the X1 has been around long enough for there to be two generations.

The old X1 is bascially a 3-series with a slight lift. The steering is nice and the car overall drives really well.

The new X1 is FWD Mini based.

If that's the case, BMW usually offers pretty OK lease deals. But TBH if you're considering a lease that changes the ball game. I'd really shop around to see who offers an attractive lease. Quick search shows the Disco Sport has a pretty nice lease (from LR's website), but I don't know if the Disco Sport is as nice as the X3. Not to mention that local dealers probably offer things differently.

2o6

Tiguan's offering a special, for like 1/2 the price of the Disco Sport. You can probably find a really nice AWD Tiguan for a fraction of the cost of the "Premium" cars.

MrH

http://leasehackr.com/

I'll let you know if anything pops up that looks enticing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 10, 2016, 08:57:20 AM
Tiguan's offering a special, for like 1/2 the price of the Disco Sport. You can probably find a really nice AWD Tiguan for a fraction of the cost of the "Premium" cars.

Tiguan's due for a replacement that won't be here until mid to late 2017 (talked to a VW dealer yesterday to get a ballpark on when they'd be available).  I'm not sure the Tiguan is competitive right now.  To be fair, though, I don't know much about this segment; I'm only starting the research phase. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i