Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 10, 2016, 09:14:05 AM
http://leasehackr.com/

I'll let you know if anything pops up that looks enticing.

Hmm...that's an interesting site. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

The tie analogy is pretty good. Ultimately, real life has to factor into daily driver considerations. I can't knock it. I just thought you would fight till the bitter end :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 09:54:04 AM
Tiguan's due for a replacement that won't be here until mid to late 2017 (talked to a VW dealer yesterday to get a ballpark on when they'd be available).  I'm not sure the Tiguan is competitive right now.  To be fair, though, I don't know much about this segment; I'm only starting the research phase.

"Competitive" is a myth, unless it something like a Mitsubishi. Drive what you want and buy what you want. Most cars are basically the same.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 10:17:30 AM
The tie analogy is pretty good. Ultimately, real life has to factor into daily driver considerations. I can't knock it. I just thought you would fight till the bitter end :lol:

I'm still considering an STI hatch. :lol:  Just depends on when we move. 

The problem is that as sedans get more and more boring, there's little reason to go with a sedan over a slightly more boring, but much more practical than sedans SUV.  So if I can have a garage of two polar opposites, or close to it, it allows me to have my sports car 9-10 months out of the year and the space, practicality, and all-weather ability for those moments when I do need them. 

I think, honestly, that I did fight until the bitter end.  We're just here, at the end.  And there's no fight left.  I lost.  The market wants automatics, they want boring, hell, they don't even want to drive themselves anymore.  I lost. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 10, 2016, 10:24:47 AM
"Competitive" is a myth, unless it something like a Mitsubishi. Drive what you want and buy what you want. Most cars are basically the same.

I mean, is the gap between the Tiguan and something like the Q5, X3, and Discovery Sport at this point in the Tiguan's life cycle an insurmountable expanse?  I'm not comparing it to the Outlander and CR-V. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 10:31:01 AM
The problem is that as sedans get more and more boring, there's little reason to go with a sedan over a slightly more boring, but much more practical than sedans SUV.  So if I can have a garage of two polar opposites, or close to it, it allows me to have my sports car 9-10 months out of the year and the space, practicality, and all-weather ability for those moments when I do need them. 

I think, honestly, that I did fight until the bitter end.  We're just here, at the end.  And there's no fight left.  I lost.  The market wants automatics, they want boring, hell, they don't even want to drive themselves anymore.  I lost. 

And there you have independently arrived at the rationale behind cars like the X4/X6 that you hate so much.

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 10:34:30 AM
I mean, is the gap between the Tiguan and something like the Q5, X3, and Discovery Sport at this point in the Tiguan's life cycle an insurmountable expanse?  I'm not comparing it to the Outlander and CR-V. 

Yes. The current Tiguan is a PoS. I evaluated and test drove one when I got the Countryman. I also drove a friend's one in SF last year. And I just drove an X3 last Saturday. Worlds apart.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 10:34:30 AM

X3 and Q5 are also old cars. And this car will sit outside and only be driven in the cold. And you seem to like VW's and it's much cheaper than the Audi and BMW.  :huh:

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 10, 2016, 10:51:30 AM
And there you have independently arrived at the rationale behind cars like the X4/X6 that you hate so much.

But those cars add nothing to anything! They simply look terrible, make an inherently practical body style less practical, and don't make them any better to drive.

Yes. The current Tiguan is a PoS. I evaluated and test drove one when I got the Countryman. I also drove a friend's one in SF last year. And I just drove an X3 last Saturday. Worlds apart.

Yeah, the Tig's been around for a while now. Not sure I'd choose it when there's a much better looking one coming.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

I really dislike that I have to go into the trunk to fold rear seats down in certain vehicles, like this Corolla I'm detailing. Minor inconvenience, but it would annoy me as an owner. 

Also, doing Tacoma's front brakes tomorrow (assuming the parts get here).  Is a brake job as easy as I remember it being?

Jack up.  Wheels off.  Caliper off. Disc off. Take out old pads. Brake cleaner on all the new stuff.  Put in new pads. Put on new disc. And put everything back together. Repeat on other side.  ?

CaminoRacer

May have to take off the caliper bracket to get the rotor off. Lots of newer cars require that, not sure about your truck. It's obvious if you do.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

As long as I don't run into any asshole bolts (though that's always a strong possibility 'round these parts), I think I'll be fine. 

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

Bro a Harbor Freight electric impact wrench is like $100... worth its weight in gold

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 11:46:25 AM
Bro a Harbor Freight electric impact wrench is like $100... worth its weight in gold

Yea. With an impact, I can do brakes in like 20 minutes a side.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 11:46:25 AM

I have a battery Bosch impact but it's only good for about 80 torques.  I could get a full-size cheap-o at Menards. 

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/power-drills-accessories/tool-shop-reg-1-2-corded-impact-wrench-kit/p-1444436494173.htm

12,000 RPM

My bad it was $50 from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Probably the same shit though. Either way, life saver. Crank pulley on the bike, axle nut and all kinds of rusty suspension nuts on the car. All kinds!!!

AutobahnSHO

hmmm......   Christmas is on it's way.....
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 12:08:33 PM
My bad it was $50 from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html

Probably the same shit though. Either way, life saver. Crank pulley on the bike, axle nut and all kinds of rusty suspension nuts on the car. All kinds!!!

Good call. I'm gonna hit up Menards for one today.  I don't like wrestling every bolt with a breaker bar. Shit takes forever.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 11:14:02 AM
But those cars add nothing to anything! They simply look terrible, make an inherently practical body style less practical, and don't make them any better to drive.

The loss in practicality is marginal. And they do drive slightly better. I've loved every X6 I've driven (even with the base engine).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 10, 2016, 12:26:37 PM

The loss in practicality is marginal. And they do drive slightly better. I've loved every X6 I've driven (even with the base engine).

But in order to own an X6, I'd have to gouge my eyes out, and then I think after that I'd have some trouble driving. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Got a 220lb-ft 18V Li-ion Tool Shop impact for $89.  Only corded one they had was a 440 lb-ft monster for $99.  Debated it, but the thing is huge. I'm sure the smaller one will handle what I throw at it and be much better in tighter car-like spaces.

Gonna keep it clean and well-packaged and if it fails me when I do my brakes tomorrow, I'll hopefully be able to return it.  I'm sure it'll work fine, though. May not last long, but it probably will for my purposes since I'll only be using it quite occasionally. My Bosch takes care of everything else, like the dirtbike.

12,000 RPM

What is the life like on batteries? Wifey bought a boatload of battery powered tools at a garage sale and I never used them. All the batteries were dead. A lot of em had dates written on em and dude jerry rigged a 120VAC to whatever VDC adapter for them. I figure I'm paying to charge the battery and use the energy the same as I would a plug in so mucking with replacing batteries is just added maintenance and cost

giant_mtb

Dunno what the life is like. Probably enough for basic projects. It's a 1.5Ah Li-ion.  So not a ton of juice, but it should at least last through many cycles. 

My Bosch has been great so far. It's got 12V 2.0Ah Li-ion batteries. Only have had to charge them once or twice since I got em and I use them fairly frequently. 

giant_mtb

Charging up TRACKER battery to make sure it runs so I can clean it up a bit and sell it.  I'll take $300, gonna ask 400 obo.  It's nothing more than a camp/trail vehicle at this point.

Gahhh it's fucked.  Started fine. No brakes. Dumped fluid in, cycled some into the lines, checked, no leak. Filled it back up, braked a bunch more, and hear it dumping out the RF brake line.

Probably just gonna scrap this thing.  Sigh. It was the best side by side ever.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 05:29:00 PM
What is the life like on batteries? Wifey bought a boatload of battery powered tools at a garage sale and I never used them. All the batteries were dead. A lot of em had dates written on em and dude jerry rigged a 120VAC to whatever VDC adapter for them. I figure I'm paying to charge the battery and use the energy the same as I would a plug in so mucking with replacing batteries is just added maintenance and cost

Newer battery powered stuff seems pretty good but I like to have a corded version for most things. Nothing worse than waiting for stuff to charge.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 10, 2016, 06:40:02 PM
Newer battery powered stuff seems pretty good but I like to have a corded version for most things. Nothing worse than waiting for stuff to charge.

Yeah, I kinda wish this thing had two batteries. Or that they had an equivalently powerful corded version. I do prefer corded as well, depending on the application.  Oh welllllll.  $80 for an impact is better than a couple hundred bucks in labor for brakes at the shop.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2016, 01:04:48 PM
But in order to own an X6, I'd have to gouge my eyes out, and then I think after that I'd have some trouble driving. 

FWIW I do like the looks of the X6/X4 quite a bit. They seem popular here and I am not alone. I do notice that most US reviews and commenters do hate them. Weird taste difference there. AFAIK they're popular everywhere but in the US. Can't understand why really.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 10, 2016, 08:16:25 PM
FWIW I do like the looks of the X6/X4 quite a bit. They seem popular here and I am not alone. I do notice that most US reviews and commenters do hate them. Weird taste difference there. AFAIK they're popular everywhere but in the US. Can't understand why really.

Can't speak for the rest of the population up here but, imo, they're downright ungainly. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 10, 2016, 08:16:25 PM
Americans are automotive conformists & contrarians.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2016, 08:46:46 PM
Americans are automotive conformists & contrarians.

Yeah, maybe, but the X4 and X6 are gross. The only way to make them bearable to look at would be to have a Nissan Juke next to them all the time, since in comparison, they wouldn't look as bad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i