Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 12:21:45 PM
True.  But just on numbers. the X5 makes the RR Sport SE look like a bargain.

yes.

But local dealers tho. We had a lot of X3 leases due to agressive pricing.

But I also know that LR has been more agressive lately.

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on August 12, 2016, 12:09:25 PM
It's guaranteed to actually work!

I actually like Toyota trucks a lot.  Woman's family had two Sequoia's.  Not bad for what they are.  I had that Tacoma for a bit.  I loved that truck.

Man I want a 4Runner so badly. How much did you get yours for?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 12, 2016, 12:09:25 PM
It's guaranteed to actually work!

I actually like Toyota trucks a lot.  Woman's family had two Sequoia's.  Not bad for what they are.  I had that Tacoma for a bit.  I loved that truck.

No car will be kept past its warranty period, so long term reliability isn't much of an issue.  Looks, interior, et al are though.  Plus, never Toyota.   :lol:

Well, if the Land Cruiser were $30,000 cheaper, I'd have to consider it. 

Also, did anyone else notice that the SRT Grand Cherokee is over twice the price of the base model Grand Cherokee?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Land Cruisers are gross

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on August 12, 2016, 12:27:55 PM
Land Cruisers are gross

Land Cruisers are awesome. At least right up through the end of the 70 series Cruisers that is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 12, 2016, 12:27:55 PM
Land Cruisers are gross

Well, there's no such thing as a good looking Toyota.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 12:31:03 PM
Well, there's no such thing as a good looking Toyota.
One exception...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 11:57:38 AM
What did I say about Toyota?

[emphasis added]  :lol:

Not that I actually think I'll change your mind, but why not?

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 12, 2016, 01:39:45 PM
Not that I actually think I'll change your mind, but why not?

Well, they're all ugly, so that's a start.  I've driven a few and been in a few more, and they all seem like floaty, soulless cars designed by suburban focus groups and created soLELy to maximize sales revenue.  Toyota represents pretty much everything I dislike about car manufacturers; it goes against my fiber to buy a Toyota.  Buying a Toyota would be the ultimate capitulation, the ultimate resignation.  It's throwing in the towel.  I understand that car manufacturers are businesses and need to run like businesses, but I won't do my part to hasten the demise of the automotive soul. 

Now, if we're talking old Toyotas, that's probably a different story.  Something like Rags's old 4Runner is a pretty cool truck.  But I can't deal with these modern ones. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

68_427

Land cruisers are amazing
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 01:48:39 PM
Well, they're all ugly, so that's a start.  I've driven a few and been in a few more, and they all seem like floaty, soulless cars designed by suburban focus groups and created sololy to maximize sales revenue.  Toyota represents pretty much everything I dislike about car manufacturers; it goes against my fiber to buy a Toyota.  Buying a Toyota would be the ultimate capitulation, the ultimate resignation.  It's throwing in the towel.  I understand that car manufacturers are businesses and need to run like businesses, but I won't do my part to hasten the demise of the automotive soul. 

Now, if we're talking old Toyotas, that's probably a different story.  Something like Rags's old 4Runner is a pretty cool truck.  But I can't deal with these modern ones. 

Fair enough. I agree with MrH that the Tacoma/4Runner/Land Cruiser are best in segment, and even the RAV4 and Highlander are pretty nice vehicles (I don't know enough about the full size truck segment to comment on the Tundra, and I kinda forgot about the Sequoia all together).

But if you care more about driving dynamics than practicality and reliability (which seems to be true for you), I can see why they wouldn't be the right choice for you.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 01:48:39 PM
Well, they're all ugly, so that's a start.  I've driven a few and been in a few more, and they all seem like floaty, soulless cars designed by suburban focus groups and created sololy to maximize sales revenue.  Toyota represents pretty much everything I dislike about car manufacturers; it goes against my fiber to buy a Toyota.  Buying a Toyota would be the ultimate capitulation, the ultimate resignation.  It's throwing in the towel.  I understand that car manufacturers are businesses and need to run like businesses, but I won't do my part to hasten the demise of the automotive soul. 

Toyota is beautiful in a sense that they are the kings of lean manufacturing and quality.  They represent how every company should act to design and produce a reliable car to the masses.  There is a method to their overly cautious madness.  And in the end, it makes for something that doesn't depreciate and you can drive without worrying about for years.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 12, 2016, 02:46:26 PM
Toyota is beautiful in a sense that they are the kings of lean manufacturing and quality.  They represent how every company should act to design and produce a reliable car to the masses.  There is a method to their overly cautious madness.  And in the end, it makes for something that doesn't depreciate and you can drive without worrying about for years.

I know, I went through the professor worship of Toyota in supply chain management courses back when you still had hair.   :devil:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

JFC.  Got new calipers.  But of course the nut on the brake line connecting it to the old caliper is stuck as fuck and I rounded it a bit. Tried vice grips. Now I'm just soaking it in WD40 and praying. Gahhhhh why does everything here have to be rusty shit.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 12, 2016, 02:49:56 PM

Just do it

No way.  The BMW X3 and X5 represent the worst values in their segments.  They are far too expensive thanks to bloated options packages and a lack of standard features, and on top of that, even if the end product comes out similar in price, it costs more month to month because they lease like shit.  A comparable SQ5 to the X3 xDrive28i costs $50 less per month over similar terms, has more features, better looks, and a better interior.  BMW is adrift right now. 

Frontrunners on numbers are the Q5/SQ5 and F-Pace (surprisingly affordable, depending on trim).  RR Sport is the stretch, Discovery Sport and Audi Allroad look like good lower priced options.  Jag also has the best warranty, and on looks, fights the RR Sport and SQ5 for kind of the hill. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Raza did you watch the smoking tire f pace video I linked?  Good but simple explanation on the differences between trims and good advice on an "enthusiast spec" with the good stuff without breaking the bank
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 12, 2016, 03:14:25 PM
Raza did you watch the smoking tire f pace video I linked?  Good but simple explanation on the differences between trims and good advice on an "enthusiast spec" with the good stuff without breaking the bank

No, I didn't.  In this thread?  I'll check it out. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

I think so a couple pages back
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 09, 2016, 10:42:00 PM
Big hummy Matt Farah drives the F-Pace harder than Raza will ever drive his SUV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYW8C-r8ndw

Edit:  I think we should have a One-Take thread.

Found it.  I'll give it a watch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 03:03:53 PM
I know, I went through the professor worship of Toyota in supply chain management courses back when you still had hair.   :devil:

Ah, the good old hair days. I remember it fondly.

Yeah, I think being in the auto industry just showed me how the sausage is made, you know? And Toyota was really one of the few that didn't totally disgust me.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on August 12, 2016, 03:40:39 PM

Yeah, I think being in the auto industry just showed me how the sausage is made, you know? And Toyota was really one of the few that didn't totally disgust me.

Man of science, man of art.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Toyota and Honda need to get their fucking mojo back. Having a great process doesn't matter when the end product is a CR-Z.....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

F-Pace and SQ5 are on the test drive list. Probably for the weekend after next.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on August 12, 2016, 03:40:39 PM

Yeah, I did an internship at the Toyota engine plant in Huntsville, AL back when I was still an ME major. It was a pretty well run plant.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2016, 07:25:18 PM
F-Pace and SQ5 are on the test drive list. Probably for the weekend after next.
We're a bit disappointed by the interior of the F-Pace. Seems like a lot of plastic for what it is.

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 13, 2016, 07:07:24 AM
We're a bit disappointed by the interior of the F-Pace. Seems like a lot of plastic for what it is.

Sounds like the higher trims get better materials.  You can even get a suede headliner.
'racecar is die'
no