Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

JWC

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2016, 11:13:00 AM
I've done some overflow work for a local dealership before, but AFAIK basically all dealers do their own detailing.  Would be cool if I could get steady work from one, but I also have reservations about doing things for dealerships.  They want it done yesterday and it takes a week to get paid. 

I'd also add that I'm usually plenty busy during the summer without any contract work.  Though, it wouldn't be a bad thing to do some work for dealers over the winter slow season...hmmmm.  granted, winter is probably their slow season, too, so I dunno.

They have to have someone on hand to prep a sold car....so he does detail work as well in between rush jobs. We used to send used cars to some detailers, but for what it took to bring some back to a condition favorable to sell, could take days when the seats had to be removed. Then there is the inevitable debate about something that a salesman said worked when it went to an outside detail shop, and the shop owner who says it didn't work when he got it and it isn't his problem, nor is he paying for it.

AutobahnSHO

Would it be better to do the detailing work AT the dealership??

Subaru down in Georgia had our car done when it was in for the headgasket job. Was nice, car hasn't been that clean since new. (or since :lol: )
Will

68_427

Quote from: MrH on August 29, 2016, 12:47:37 PM
Future Father in law ordered a 2017 Chevy SS :rockon:

Blue, 6 speed manual, no sunroof, spare tire.  Pretty much exactly how I'd order it, except maybe Jungle Green instead.  He claims he's going to daily drive it except in the winter, when he'll use his Pilot.  He doesn't drive a ton of miles though.  He's 65 years old, so if he gets tired of driving a manual every day, I know just the guy who would buy it off of him :praise:

Or he loves it so much he gets buried in it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Maybe.  I'll get to drive it and see how great it really is though.

It's kind of sad.  That's going to be the last V8, naturally aspirated, manual transmission, RWD sedan ever probably.  End of an era!

If he does ever get bored or tired of it, he'll give it to me for carmax offer or cheaper I'm sure.  Carmax is a giant rip off so it'd be cheap :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

04dram04 is my hero. that's tyte
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2016, 11:21:47 AM
04dram04 is my hero. that's tyte

I think it's pretty dumb.  If you're gonna drive a Fiero, spend the cash on the Fiero instead of a fake Porsche body.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
I think it's pretty dumb.  If you're gonna drive a Fiero, spend the cash on the Fiero instead of a fake Porsche body.

Buddy of mine has an awesome Fiero because of that. He spent the cash on building the engine up and improving the suspension instead of making it into a fake.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2016, 11:32:30 AM

I was joking, I don't normally say things that dumb, do I?  :mrcool:
Will

68_427

Looks like Lexus design cues are trickling down to Toyota's mainstream offerings

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

So this license plate is running around Cincy :lol:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

This guy has some points....

6 things he hates about the Ford GT  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I280XuCOfZ8
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on August 31, 2016, 07:59:13 AM
Found my next car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFADGeGo7w

"Replica"

LOL

Quoterep·li·ca
ˈrepləkə/
noun
an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 68_427 on August 22, 2016, 11:40:06 PM
The arm rest and window switch issue look to be addressed with the new model

plus it looks much better IMO

I like that interior.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

ifcar

Kia is offering $25 to anyone who test drives a new Optima: https://www.kiatestdriveoffer.com/

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

BimmerM3

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 15, 2016, 08:24:31 PM

I briefly considered trying to get one before they actually came out. I could have made it work, but the payments would have been higher than I was comfortable with. It may have ended up being worth it. :cry:

The S2000 may still pay off though. Probably depends on how long I keep it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 13, 2016, 05:42:17 PM
This guy has some points....

6 things he hates about the Ford GT  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I280XuCOfZ8

Really? It's hard to put in reverse, has no backup camera, poor rear visibility, and the doors swing too wide?

What is this, a review by my aunt?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2016, 10:12:50 PM
Really? It's hard to put in reverse, has no backup camera, poor rear visibility, and the doors swing too wide?

He starts the video by saying it's one of his favorite cars. The whole point is that even amazing-to-drive cars have annoyances that you don't see in a typical review, especially if you're planning on using it for DDing or even the occasional random errand.

AutobahnSHO

:lol:

But seriously, imagine trying to drive that thing as a DD. Forget grocery store parking lots, you'd have to park nose-out at work, sounds like a hassle.

A hassle I would LOVE!!!!!!   :mrcool:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 15, 2016, 10:16:04 PM
He starts the video by saying it's one of his favorite cars. The whole point is that even amazing-to-drive cars have annoyances that you don't see in a typical review, especially if you're planning on using it for DDing or even the occasional random errand.

I don't think anybody on earth is cross shopping it with an Accord, you know?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 15, 2016, 10:12:15 PM
I briefly considered trying to get one before they actually came out. I could have made it work, but the payments would have been higher than I was comfortable with. It may have ended up being worth it. :cry:

The S2000 may still pay off though. Probably depends on how long I keep it.

I also considered one myself :lol:  It was so hard to get an allocation at MSRP though.  Dealers were charging through the roof if they could get one in.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on September 15, 2016, 10:16:04 PM

Yeah, they're things that are good to be aware of, especially in rare supercars that may require a deposit or even purchase before a test drive. A review doesn't have to say "don't buy it because of bad visibility" but it's better to mention more than less.

12,000 RPM

Random observations about cars and drivers in the UK

People here are such better drivers it's kind of amazing. And just like Italy the lane discipline is orgasmic. So much easier on the highway

Women take cars and driving a lot more seriously. I have seen women driving everything from a Fiesta ST hatch to a full on NC race car, cage and all.

Opel Astra and new Megane are the sexiest C segment rides by a wide margin. Megane should come here as the next Sentra or Versa. Wouldn't mind an Astra as a Buick. Want factor, especially with big motors, pretty high.

Small diesel engines sound like school buses/submission/sadness. Absolutely crushes me every time I see a proper poseur class car with a "18" or "20" + d engine designation on the trunk. What's the point???

Seems like people get poverty spec diesel or go balls to the wall. Have only seen x20ds and full on M cars..... no x28/x35i or anything else in between

People here don't give a FUCK about pedestrians. You better move! Physics are law

B roads are not fun
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rich

A lot of U.K. Women won't drive anything but stick

The astra is fing gorgeous. I Give long looks to the performance version every time. I'm always noting how well that two door looks too.

B roads have shit visibility around turns most parts. Can't have much fun in them at all. And theres traffic anyway. Even on the B roads :-/
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Yeah my roommate went to Birmingham (?) and rented an automatic Avensis wagon. She was terrified the entire time and said driving something so big was nerve wracking.

12,000 RPM

People really don't comprehend the difference in road size. I felt more at ease on the interstates with the moving truck from NY to NC than I do in the C4 on a b road. Panda was "right sized" for Italy roads as well.

MrH

Are you going to Germany at all?  Lane discipline there is by far the best.  Puts UK to shame.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on September 16, 2016, 09:49:58 AM
Are you going to Germany at all?  Lane discipline there is by far the best.  Puts UK to shame.
Not this trip. Next time we come to Europe I think we will hit the north and make a stop in ze Deutscheland. Italy was really good too though. Point is it's complete shit in the US. I feel no guilt or shame cutting people off or passing on the right anymore.