Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

They're building a Charger right now too.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

Not sure whether I'd spec the leather pack to cover the aluminum trim.  Don't really like how it looks.
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

I think it's cool to see the thought process from an actual level-headed buyer. 

There's some things I'd change, but I love the way it looks.  I'd go non-S too

68_427

Me as well.  If I wanted more power it's easily attainable.  I don't know what the options are but I assume adaptive dampers are not standard?  Tough choice but I think a base 911, aftermarket exhaust, lightweight wheels, and KW V3s/DDCs would be boss.

$99,790 for my desired spec.

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

The lowest 911 I would want starts at $108K.  Targa.  I wish they made it in RWD, but I guess that just makes it a top "down" year round choice, even when it's snowing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Mine came in at $133k :cry:  Carrera 2S with all the sport packages and red leather.  CC spent way too much on interior leather things.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Some notes from the build:

Oooh that Sapphire Blue Metallic looks good on the configurator.

Porsche Entry and Drive?  Nah, I want to feel that 911 key in my hand when I walk to the car.

Sport Exhaust system because sometimes I want it loud and clear.

Multifunction wheel -  I love that it still leaves the negative space

Sport Seats Plus - cheapest seat option I think I've ever seen from any OEM.

Rear wiper because fastback in the rain = can't see shit.

Smokers package makes the console look better.  And luggage net because free shit.

Euro or Atlanta delivery for sure

Base price:$89,400
Price for Equipment:$5,290
Delivery, Processing, and Handling Fee  $1,050
Total Price:*$95,740

giant_mtb

Replacing the serpentine belt on the 2011 Explorer my parents are trying to sell. I'm guessing it snapped just 'cause it sits all the time.

Have to take the FR wheel off to make it easier.  And the tensioner doesn't use a socket...it uses a 1-1/4" square tab that you put a wrench on to loosen it. Never seen that before, but I suppose it prevents tightening the bolt to hell like you basically do on a normal tensioner with its reverse threaded bolt. 

12,000 RPM

I would get a 911 C2 with:

- Sapphire Blue exterior/Luxor Beige interior
- PDK
- Premium Package Plus (LED headlights + vented seats won me over)
- 18-way sport seats
- Bose stereo
- White instrument dials (like my old Maximas :) )

Aside from that I would get whatever the best coilovers Bilstein makes for this are, along with better pads and a set of track wheels/tires.

I think it all came to $120K.

Or I would just wait for the inevitable GTS which will cost like $110K and have basically everything I want....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

GTS will be more like 120k if it comes out.
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Weird. The 3.5L V6 in parents' Explorer only has three drive pulleys.  Crank, generator, and what I assume is the water pump. ...the pump must also drive the p/s..?  Only other pulley is the tensioner pulley.  I searched far and wide, and it's a short little belt, so I guess it's correct.  Electric p/s?  Would make sense...the p/s was pulsing when I moved it into the garage...I'd expect no p/s with a pump.

Who knows. Got it on in a couple hours.

MexicoCityM3

These days Mexico is about the least expensive place on the planet to buy a car, especially Germán premium ones.

I specced my dream 911 Carrera and it comes out to about 96K.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Porsche options: Hey, you want this thing?  It's only $600.  But to add it, you need these other things, which cost $8000.  Thank you!

So many choices, most of which I don't have the energy to research, so I just took a stab at it.  So, my Targa comes to $126K

Base Price 911 Targa 4
$108,600
Price for Equipment
$16,300
Destination Charge
$1,050
Total Price*
$125,950
excl. Accessories
$4,490
Exterior Color
White
0Q
$0
Targa Roof in Red
5V
$0
Interior Color
Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red
BM
$4,280
Packages
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P3G
$3,970
LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
$0
Porsche Entry & Drive
$0
Auto-Dimming Mirrors
$0
Light Design Package
$0
Seat Heating (Front)
$0
Seat Ventilation (Front)
$0
Exterior
Model Designation "911"
$0
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
$320
Performance
Manual Transmission
$0
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
$1,320
Wheels
19" Carrera Wheels
$0
Wheel Accessories
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
$185
Interior
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
$850
GT Sport Steering Wheel
$320
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
P07
$3,465
Audio and Communications
BOSE® Surround Sound System
9VL
$1,590
Total Price:*
$125,950
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Is it me or does this 335i sound like a Cummins diesel (0:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evqiOSxjpN0&t=40

AutobahnSHO

I used to laugh at people complaining about, or shopping based on, "luxury features".

But we have to show IDs everytime we enter the base, having to hold the button to raise the window back up in my wife's car is seriously annoying. Odyssey has auto-up in addition to auto-down on the driver window.
Will

12,000 RPM

Bro once you become accustomed to a certain level of luxury it's hard to go back

My wife's car has auto up/down on all windows.... pisses me off in my car that I only have it for the driver. Supposed to be the top trim (EX)

I miss navigation and fuel economy in the trip computer too.... next ride

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 15, 2016, 08:51:43 AM
Bro once you become accustomed to a certain level of luxury it's hard to go back

My wife's car has auto up/down on all windows.... pisses me off in my car that I only have it for the driver. Supposed to be the top trim (EX)

I miss navigation and fuel economy in the trip computer too.... next ride

Auto up/down windows are sooooooooo Idiocracy You can't hold a button down for five seconds? Lol. I like it, too.

Element EX only has it for the driver, too. Honda is for drivers.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Also, for trip and fuel economy, and much more:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

The only negative is finding an acceptable mounting solution. The windshield mount is very good for what it is, but I still hate it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 15, 2016, 08:55:11 AM
Auto up/down windows are sooooooooo Idiocracy You can't hold a button down for five seconds? Lol. I like it, too.

Dude, it gets cold here. Between turning the headlights back on (i'm the 1% who dims them for the guards like the signs direct), turning the interior lights off (they ask sometimes that you turn them on so they can see no terrorists are in the car), putting the ID down so I don't lose it anywhere, and driving away from the gate, I don't like the window down that whole time.
In Odyssey I just push the window button and continue on with all that other junk.

#firstworldproblems I know. But still I just find it funny that I never ever ever never used to care about "luxury" stuff. But I now understand how people can get spoilt.
Will

MrH

4Runner has auto up/down on all four side windows, the rear window, and the sunroof. :praise: just hit all the buttons and wait and it's a lazy man's utility convertible.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 15, 2016, 09:36:36 AM
Dude, it gets cold here. Between turning the headlights back on (i'm the 1% who dims them for the guards like the signs direct), turning the interior lights off (they ask sometimes that you turn them on so they can see no terrorists are in the car), putting the ID down so I don't lose it anywhere, and driving away from the gate, I don't like the window down that whole time.
In Odyssey I just push the window button and continue on with all that other junk.

#firstworldproblems I know. But still I just find it funny that I never ever ever never used to care about "luxury" stuff. But I now understand how people can get spoilt.

Yeah, it remember it being an ordeal pulling up to the gate in my SJ410 (Samurai). It wouldn't always idle, so I had to keep my foot on the gas while my left foot operated the clutch + brake. The synchros were also worn so I had to rev match most shfts. Weaving through the obstacle course with manual steering. Bouncing off my head off the ceiling over the speed bumps. My window crank was a vice grip that needed periodic adjustment. And I usually had a cigarette in one hand. I also dimmed my headlights, unlike so many.

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

New Lacrosse looks really good but it kind of looks like an old Azera

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

How does that work since it's unibody? Did he bolt the Miata subframes to the RX-7 body? And then swapped the Miata interior into the RX-7 body? Seems like a lot of work for no gain.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Question-
Since the backup cameras become mandatory soon, how long do y'all think it will take someone to eliminate the rear glass? (hatchback or sedan?) Should save a little weight and some money. They could put the camera screen where the rearview mirror is, or just use a dash screen...

Also, some dummy driving in pitch dark this morning with fog lights only. No headlights or taillights, they appeared to be OEM fogs, but still you have to modify to run fogs without main lights....  Black sedan.
Will

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 19, 2016, 04:49:26 AM
Question-
Since the backup cameras become mandatory soon, how long do y'all think it will take someone to eliminate the rear glass? (hatchback or sedan?) Should save a little weight and some money. They could put the camera screen where the rearview mirror is, or just use a dash screen...

For a mainstream automaker?  Maybe never.  The rear window still offers viability for the car behind, removing that is a safety hazard itself.
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on October 19, 2016, 04:51:29 AM
For a mainstream automaker?  Maybe never.  The rear window still offers viability for the car behind, removing that is a safety hazard itself.

Have you seen the new Camaro? They could put sheet metal over the rear window, and nobody would notice. Besides, there are billions of cargo vans without rear glass, and nobody cares.