Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 68_427 on October 19, 2016, 04:51:29 AM
For a mainstream automaker?  Maybe never.  The rear window still offers viability for the car behind, removing that is a safety hazard itself.

Vans have had no rear windows for a long time. Lots of vehicles actually. And in a modern SUV, with two rows of headrests, tinted windows and a fold down monitor showing Hotel Transylvania for the 2487th time, the rear window is basically useless anyways.

I'd say it's a possibility. And I hate that idea, but it's possible.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 19, 2016, 06:48:51 AM
Vans have had no rear windows for a long time. Lots of vehicles actually. And in a modern SUV, with two rows of headrests, tinted windows and a fold down monitor showing Hotel Transylvania for the 2487th time, the rear window is basically useless anyways.

I'd say it's a possibility. And I hate that idea, but it's possible.

As of now, all backup cameras still have the warning to check all surroundings and not just rely on the camera--even overhead 360 degree cameras. I see it becoming a legal liability issue for manufacturers, should a camera malfunction.

I know cars exist where there is no back window, but I don't see it becoming commonplace until autonomous cars take over and human driving is made illegal (~2025).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Driving a car without a rear window is a really weird experience.  Like driving a Uhaul.  I panicked for a split second every time I went to check my rear view mirror
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 19, 2016, 07:08:33 AM
Driving a car without a rear window is a really weird experience.  Like driving a Uhaul.  I panicked for a split second every time I went to check my rear view mirror

Or tried to back up. My brother and I moved his stuff in a Uhaul once and driving that thing on city streets--and parallėl parking it--was kind of a nightmare.

When I moved into my apartment, I just used my Jetta. Much easier.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on October 19, 2016, 07:08:33 AM

+1

Or any army truck, even HMMWVs...
Will

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on October 19, 2016, 07:08:26 AM
I don't see it becoming commonplace until autonomous cars take over and human driving is made illegal (~2025).

I used to be on the bandwagon of expecting this stuff to happen in about 2022, but with recent events, I think this will be an even longer way out, if at all.  Apple has blown up their car program and seems to just be idle R&D rather than creating a consumer product/software.  Google is in the middle of trying to identify what they are doing with their autonomous software without a clear road ahead.

I see a fairly big change in viability vs. last year.  This time last year it was full steam ahead, throwing Billion$ at the tech.  Seems most things have been brought close to idle.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

I think Google is the same as they always were- taking it slow to get it right. Sometimes they're in the news but not usually.

I think once they do say it's ready it will be a quick adoption. They have legal muscle and all it takes is some famous people buying/using driverless cars and it will be like the Prius. EVERYWHERE....
Will

Rich

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 19, 2016, 08:33:16 AM
I think Google is the same as they always were- taking it slow to get it right. Sometimes they're in the news but not usually.

I think once they do say it's ready it will be a quick adoption. They have legal muscle and all it takes is some famous people buying/using driverless cars and it will be like the Prius. EVERYWHERE....

No

"Other top technologists have also departed and progress has been slow. Once considered a leader in the field, Google has lost its first-mover advantage to other companies pursuing more practical, less-ambitious self-driving car services, said former members of the project and other people familiar with the situation. They asked not to be identified because details of the effort are private."

"The team knew what it would take to deliver a fully-autonomous system, known in the industry as L4, but some Google executives didn't understand the complexity, according to one former member of the project. The person left to help run an active business with paying customers, something that's missing from the car project. A Google spokesman declined to comment for this story.

Several years ago, some on the team wanted to push ahead with a service that didn't require full automation, but Google co-founder Larry Page insisted on complete human driver replacement, another person said.

'Seven-Year Itch'

Sebastian Thrun, the first head of the Google car project, left in 2014 to focus on his online education startup Udacity Inc. and develop flying cars with Page.

In early 2016, Anthony Levandowski, one of the original engineers on the project, co-founded Otto. He started the company with Don Burnette, who wrote software for Google's self-driving car, Google robotics expert Claire Delaunay and Lior Ron, who worked on Google Maps and Android smartphones.

Otto's goal is to "speed the adoption of self-driving technology," according to its website. Levandowski told the Wall Street Journal in May that it's easier to prove Otto's technology is better than humans on highways, where the tasks of driving are fairly straightforward, than in cities, which generate more complex driving situations. Levandowski declined to comment on why he left Google's project.

When Urmson left in August, other project veterans Jiajun Zhu and Dave Ferguson also departed.

One former member said the project is suffering from a "seven-year itch" as staff look for new challenges. Googlers like to see technology they work on influence as many people as possible, so it's been difficult to see the steady drumbeat of rival autonomous vehicle announcements while Google's project slogs through testing, this person said."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-12/google-car-project-loses-leaders-and-advantage-as-rivals-gain
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

bummer. I still think it'll be here by 2050. Maybe not everywhere, but definitely legal-approved self-driving cars.
Will

12,000 RPM

I'm surprised people thought this would happen quickly.

I'm also surprised that people think with all the money and identity tied into cars that little autonomous pods will be mandated. That's not in, among other groups, the interests of the huge and powerful auto industry
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 19, 2016, 11:23:25 AM
That's not in, among other groups, the interests of the huge and powerful auto industry

+1 The more commoditized cars become, the less profit is in it for the manufacturers. They want unique cars so they can sell them at a premium.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Hmm, somehow I missed the now-old-news that Porsche has replaced the sixes in the Boxster & Cayman with four-bangers.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-porsche-718-boxster-boxster-s-photos-and-info-news

Lots of torques in new DI turbo 4s - but they still sound like clattery diesels.

Four is the new six. Pity.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 19, 2016, 01:06:03 PM
Hmm, somehow I missed the now-old-news that Porsche has replaced the sixes in the Boxster & Cayman with four-bangers.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-porsche-718-boxster-boxster-s-photos-and-info-news

Lots of torques in new DI turbo 4s - but they still sound like clattery diesels.

Porsches used to be fours. Pity, it's just a fancy Beetle.

Then they went to sixes. Pity, it's too powerful and heavy, and they handling is super scary.

Now they go back to fours. It's lightweight and efficient, yet still powerful. But pity it sounds like... a diesel?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 19, 2016, 01:06:03 PM

Real shame as the chassis is better than ever

Worry not though, I'm sure a limited edition NA 6 banger version will be out
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2016, 03:40:23 PM
Porsches used to be fours. Pity, it's just a fancy Beetle.

Then they went to sixes. Pity, it's too powerful and heavy, and they handling is super scary.

Now they go back to fours. It's lightweight and efficient, yet still powerful. But pity it sounds like... a diesel?
Well I think GDI engines are noisy.  (Also saw that although good on CO2, they have quite high particulate emissions.)

93JC

Fuck touchscreen controls. They're completely irredeemable, totally unnecessary, a huge step backward in ergonomics and just all-around shite. Fuck 'em.

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2016, 05:29:40 AM
Have you seen the new Camaro? They could put sheet metal over the rear window, and nobody would notice. Besides, there are billions of cargo vans without rear glass, and nobody cares.

I'm no expert on regulations and such, but I'm sure they're different for commercial vehicles.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

I think cars will become objects in systems move them around, routed as in packet switching in computer & communications networks.

The problem is that, unlike fiber or copper, the huge majority our roads are uncontrolled; anyone can wander onto them. So I think the revolution will start on limited access highways. And eventually, for safety, more of our roads will become limited access to accommodate automated cars.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 20, 2016, 12:59:08 AM
I think cars will become objects in systems move them around, routed as in packet switching in computer & communications networks.

The problem is that, unlike fiber or copper, the huge majority our roads are uncontrolled; anyone can wander onto them. So I think the revolution will start on limited access highways. And eventually, for safety, more of our roads will become limited access to accommodate automated cars.

I could see the first major application being trucking between major distribution centers. Interstate driving and defined shipping yards are less likely to cause issues than a general purpose automated car. Plus robots don't have to sleep like truckers do.

Either that or someplace like London city center where they could just ban normal cars all together.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 19, 2016, 09:52:20 PM
Fuck touchscreen controls. They're completely irredeemable, totally unnecessary, a huge step backward in ergonomics and just all-around shite. Fuck 'em.

But they look so sleek!  #textdontdrive #autobrakeswillsaveyou #alwayspayattentiontoroadconditions #noreallywedontgiveafuckitsaliabilitywarning

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Morris Minor

Road death rates are increasing after decades of decline. Distracted driving.

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 20, 2016, 08:40:46 PM

Quote from: Raza  on October 20, 2016, 07:44:06 AM
#textdontdrive #autobrakeswillsaveyou #alwayspayattentiontoroadconditions #noreallywedontgiveafuckitsaliabilitywarning

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Quote from: 93JC on October 19, 2016, 09:52:20 PM

You'd love the new Panamera
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

New cars are dead.  I want this:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 20, 2016, 08:40:46 PM

I am thinking of finding a non-FCC compliant, car-mounted active cell phone jammer. It will create a safe zone around my car.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2016, 09:46:17 PM
I am thinking of finding a non-FCC compliant, car-mounted active cell phone jammer. It will create a safe zone around my car.

Some dummy did that in Florida for 6 months.

Problem is, it creates a bigger problem. People are busy yakking and driving then all of a sudden they lose their call. Now they're trying to redial. Then they keep trying because the stupid phone won't connect, swerving all into your lane. It would create a bubble of chaos all around you.

Florida dummy got caught because they started noticing a pattern of time where all radios died out. The squad car that finally pulled him over noticed their radios didn't work either. Dummy hadn't even concealed the jammer or setup a kill switch on it.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 21, 2016, 05:21:44 AM
Some dummy did that in Florida for 6 months.

Problem is, it creates a bigger problem. People are busy yakking and driving then all of a sudden they lose their call. Now they're trying to redial. Then they keep trying because the stupid phone won't connect, swerving all into your lane. It would create a bubble of chaos all around you.

Florida dummy got caught because they started noticing a pattern of time where all radios died out. The squad car that finally pulled him over noticed their radios didn't work either. Dummy hadn't even concealed the jammer or setup a kill switch on it.

Can I talk to this dude, or would it require supervised visitation?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 21, 2016, 05:51:18 AM
Can I talk to this dude, or would it require supervised visitation?

You might want to fill the bank account first:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/161146/20160526/florida-man-gets-48k-fine-from-fcc-for-using-cell-phone-jammer.htm

And it took TWO YEARS to get through the court stuff. He was busted in 2014!!!!

(and apparently he was doing it 16-24months)
Will

Morris Minor

Seven years ago my wife's cousin had her 19-year-old kid killed by a distracted driver: girl was texting, lost control & crossed the median.

So the cousin & her husband set up a foundation to combat texting & driving. It's evolved to 'distracted driving,' as car manufacturers install more and more gizmos, & twiddly bits, & touchscreens with menus.

So far it's a losing battle.

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 21, 2016, 08:25:20 AM
Seven years ago my wife's cousin had her 19-year-old kid killed by a distracted driver: girl was texting, lost control & crossed the median.

So the cousin & her husband set up a foundation to combat texting & driving. It's evolved to 'distracted driving,' as car manufacturers install more and more gizmos, & twiddly bits, & touchscreens with menus.

So far it's a losing battle.

Distracted driving is now a multibillion dollar industry. Of course it's a losing battle.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i