Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

2o6

You guys have new fortwos as Car2Go's? In Columbus we're still using the shitty old ones

ifcar

D.C. just got its first new ones about a month ago. But even the old ones had a retrofitted touchscreen for car2go functions.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on October 26, 2016, 10:52:50 AM
This, again. You might be wondering what has earned such vitriolic hate. This:

This morning I discovered the stupid touchscreen can't be used with gloves on.

Of course not!!!

The other day though I discovered a roll worked on my phone. Dinner roll. Might try that next time. :lol:
Will

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on October 26, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
You guys have new fortwos as Car2Go's? In Columbus we're still using the shitty old ones

Yep, they started rolling them out a few weeks ago. Their fleet is made up of old ForTwos, new ForTwos and Mercedes-Benz B250s.

Quote from: ifcar on October 26, 2016, 11:15:15 AM
D.C. just got its first new ones about a month ago. But even the old ones had a retrofitted touchscreen for car2go functions.

True, I didn't like that one either, but it was bigger and could be used with gloves on, and it saved the last radio station you had playing. The new ones aren't used for inputting a PIN to start your rental anymore, it's all through the app, so it's just for the teensy little nav screen and radio now. Unfortunately the new radio doesn't save the last station you had played, it saves whatever the last person in the car had played. I just turn the damned thing off now (the control of which, thankfully, is a button).

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on October 26, 2016, 02:02:40 PM

True, I didn't like that one either, but it was bigger and could be used with gloves on, and it saved the last radio station you had playing. The new ones aren't used for inputting a PIN to start your rental anymore, it's all through the app, so it's just for the teensy little nav screen and radio now. Unfortunately the new radio doesn't save the last station you had played, it saves whatever the last person in the car had played. I just turn the damned thing off now (the control of which, thankfully, is a button).

Huh, never noticed that radio feature -- that was really clever of them, and a shame it didn't stick around.

93JC

Yeah, it was clever, and a shame it didn't stick around. When I fired up the Car2Go I rented this morning the volume was cranked and the station was some stupid top 40 pop/hip-hop junk. First thing I did was crank the volume back down, which is thankfully still controlled by a knob, but I couldn't change the station until I pressed 'yes' on the EULA-esque little warning about using the thing while in motion. That they had to warn you about how dangerous using this touchscreen is ought to have been clue #1 that the screen is fucking dumb. So I pressed 'yes', and nothing happened. I pressed again: nothing happened. I took my glove off, pressed 'yes', pressed 'radio', and pressed a down arrow to cycle through to the station I wanted to listen to. All of this could have been avoided if it had buttons, or a knob; something...

Soup DeVille

If your hands are really calloused, (such as one might get from working as a mechanic or playing guitar) then some touch screens won't work for you at all.

(As a derelict, I no longer have this problem).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on October 26, 2016, 02:02:40 PM
Yep, they started rolling them out a few weeks ago. Their fleet is made up of old ForTwos, new ForTwos and Mercedes-Benz B250s.

It would be nice to have a bigger Car2Go option, but MB doesn't make a cheap four-place car in our market

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 26, 2016, 10:52:50 AM
This, again. You might be wondering what has earned such vitriolic hate. This:

This morning I discovered the stupid touchscreen can't be used with gloves on.

Get touchscreen gloves, dude. It's like 2012 or some year where every phone is a touchscreen.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I can barely type on my phone without gloves on: touchscreen gloves are pointless.

Also, note that the touchscreen in the old cars works with any gloves.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on October 27, 2016, 09:08:12 AM
Get touchscreen gloves, dude. It's like 2012 or some year where every phone is a touchscreen.

Touch screen gloves are always too thin for real cold and are seemingly made for women's hands.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 28, 2016, 04:38:48 PM
Touch screen gloves are always too thin for real cold and are seemingly made for women's hands.

That's demonstrably untrue.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 30, 2016, 03:25:16 PM

I have a pair of leather touchscreen gloves that are just as warm as my non-touchscreen leather gloves.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Leather gloves aren't really suitable for real cold either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 30, 2016, 07:07:51 PM
Leather gloves aren't really suitable for real cold either.

I've worn them into single digits.  :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

I've worn no gloves in the single digits, doesn't make it a good idea :lol:

AutobahnSHO

poor car. Skip to 3min he's literally going to rattle the doors off. LOLOLOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCs5_V6g5ds
Will

MrH

From Jalopnik:

"Man how I wish my E60 M5 ownership experience was more like this. My story is more typical though. My dumb ass thought the car had hit about the bottom of its depreciation curve (I was wrong). My double dumb ass also thought that I didn't need to pay to get oil samples taken before purchase. So my soon to be broke ass paid not quite $24k for an '06 with 94,000+ miles in 2013 without paying $250 to a reputable shop to do a pre-purchase inspection. My wallet got lighter when I threw the same "Increased Emmissions" message after putting less than 300 miles on the car, FWIW in my experience all three times that happened to me it was one of the coil packs going bad and causing a misfire that you could definitely feel and hear. Then my wallet got to experience the massive lightening feeling of a bottom end rebuild after we found out the BMW dealer who replaced the VANOS pump in the car before I bought it left parts in the oil pan. Well I guess I had budgeted for rod bearings in the nearish future but not at less than 1000 miles into ownership. While they were in there the oil level sensor and the passenger side throttle solenoid were replaced, I declined to replace the properly working driver side one at that time even though the shop suggested we do it while it was apart. Three months later I replaced the driver side solenoid. Two more trips to the shop for coil packs. Then the rather frighteningly expensive starter motor replacement. With the weather in NE-Ohio I only drove the car on nice summer days which meant not that often. In 32 months of ownership I put less than 3200 miles on that car. I also put over $18,000 in repairs and basic maintenance into it. Sold it for $13,500 and was happy to get that. I absolutely loved the car when it was working right but I was scared every time I took it out of the garage that I'd be facing another couple thousand dollar repair bill. During the time I owned it I averaged a little under 12MPG and had one tank where I was especially heavy on the right pedal where I was under 9MPG. Maybe I'm a masochist because I miss that car."

"Holy crap. $28,500 for 32 months and 3200 miles?!

$8.90 a mile!!

$890 a month in repairs!!

That's just...awful. Sorry man."

Wowwwwww :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

He bought it right when all the regular maintenance was due, did all the maintenance, then sold it when it was ready to drive....   
Will

MrH

Most of that isn't normal maintenance items.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on November 02, 2016, 10:17:04 AM
Most of that isn't normal maintenance items.

Yeah, just idiotic ownership decisions.

I also can't imagine taking my car to the shop for everything. I would have spent $40k on my car by now.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

In what world is finding parts left in the oil pan and needing a bottom end rebuild "regular maintenance"? :wtf:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Sometimes online people are stupid

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on November 02, 2016, 11:18:36 AM
In what world is finding parts left in the oil pan and needing a bottom end rebuild "regular maintenance"? :wtf:
In a BMW

The S62/S65 engines are known for lunching bearings. I was looking at E60 535is... there is a PDF on some forum literally going through all its problems. How is it basic ass Honda was able to make 9000 RPM 120HP/L engines with like 1/4 the budget 15 years ago.... but BMW only just figured out shit like plastic doesn't do well in cooling systems

Still though... 340i M Sport :(

giant_mtb

Sometimes I wonder if the poor bloke who bought my A4 has ended up with a similar used German car horror story. 

MX793

I was walking past a new WRX in a parking lot the other day just as the owner was starting it up and, damn, the new FA engine sounds awful.  No charming, lumpy idle like boxers of old.  Sounded like no consideration was given to the exhaust note.  Just this coarse, droning sound at idle and it didn't improve as I heard it drive away.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on November 02, 2016, 12:28:12 PM
I was walking past a new WRX in a parking lot the other day just as the owner was starting it up and, damn, the new FA engine sounds awful.  No charming, lumpy idle like boxers of old.  Sounded like no consideration was given to the exhaust note.  Just this coarse, droning sound at idle and it didn't improve as I heard it drive away.

Trying to keep it from being confused with the new Porsches....
Will