Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2016, 06:01:16 AM
You need a winter car. What happened to that truck with the stupid engine?

Sold.  My Sierra does fine in the snow but it blew a brake line.  SVX will be my winter car when it's fixed.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on November 20, 2016, 07:27:23 AM
Sold.  My Sierra does fine in the snow but it blew a brake line.  SVX will be my winter car when it's fixed.

So confused. You are using SVX engine in LesboWagon, but SVX will become.winter car ... so SVX gets Wagon engine? And Sierra? GMC is good.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2016, 09:02:26 AM
So confused. You are using SVX engine in LesboWagon, but SVX will become.winter car ... so SVX gets Wagon engine? And Sierra? GMC is good.

Waggin swap will wait till spring cus I don't wanna engine swap in the snow two years in a row
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on November 17, 2016, 09:08:09 PM
S2000 shifter now... :wub:  It just needed a heftier shift knob and new fluid.
Told u

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on November 20, 2016, 07:27:23 AM

You drive an AWD Subaru wagon and you need a winter car?  That's already your winter car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on November 21, 2016, 12:16:08 PM
You drive an AWD Subaru wagon and you need a winter car?  That's already your winter car. 

Engine is going bad.
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

A very classy move by Jaguar.

Jaguar rebuilds its XKSS supercar, a legend from '57

Jaguar's new supercar has been 60 years in the making. Don't expect paddle shift, ABS, or even the luxury of electric windows as well as a vintage look, the XKSS has vintage features to boot.
It's technically a "continuation car," a special type of replica in which production ceased but has since restarted using original designs and methods. The original XKSS was made for the U.S. market as a road-going conversion of the Le Mans-winning 1954 D-type, until a fire ripped through Jaguar's Browns Lane factory in 1957. As a result, only 16 were ever made out of the total 25-car production run.
Unsurprisingly, the cars that survived fetch a pretty penny these days. Steve McQueen owned one that's estimated to be worth up to $30 million.
The new XKSS model was revealed on Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show, a one-off that comes off the back of 18 months of research and build. It will be used as a blueprint for the nine collectible units that Jaguar will start to make in 2017.
According to Kev Riches, engineering manager for Jaguar Classic, a branch of the company that focuses mostly on refurbishment and maintenance of classic Jags, the XKSS project is all about replacing those nine vehicles that were lost in the fire. "For me it's almost about re-creating a piece of art," he said. "Being a real petrol head, it was about building an authentic car and trying to make the cars as accurate as possible to the cars that were built in the period."

The team at Jaguar Classic used original drawings from the company archives and supplemented them with modern tech, such as scanning the car to build 3D models to aid fabrication using retro, authentic methods. Steel and aluminum panels were hand-rolled on English wheels as they would have been in 1950s. Some nuts were even reproduced because they can no longer be bought.
"It was about trying build that perfect car to the period specification,in the period way as much as possible," said Riches.
Under the hood, the XKSS has a 3.4-liter straight six-cylinder engine with 262 horsepower. The company says everything from the wood of the steering wheel to the leather of the seats and the brass on the dash is exactly as it would have been in 1957, with only minor changes made for 21st-century safety requirements.
The nine cars due to be built sold out almost immediately to a selection of international buyers. Riches estimates each model to have sold for around $1.5 million.

From...http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2016/11/22/jaguar-rebuilds-xkss-supercar-legend/94306638/
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Totally lame. Doesn't even have talk to text or phone based deceleration? No advantages over a Camcord.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

So catching up here:

Last night saw a Hummer at Wal-Mart. White. Not H2, but real Hummer.

Saturday I drove down to Scranton PA to take son to his mom.  Saw a Datsun 280z and Maserati 4door.

Stopped at a junkyard to get a trim piece for Odyssey, wife hit a curb last year and knocked it loose. I put it back on then later I ripped it off on a snowdrift. Didn't realize it at the time, it was gone. Junkyard charged me $17.90 for piece, 5 clips, taxes.

Funny the piece goes exactly from the front to back of the vehicle between wheels (under doors). Here's how the wheelbase of Odyssey and Impreza compare.

Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on November 23, 2016, 10:10:19 AM
Totally lame. Doesn't even have talk to text or phone based deceleration? No advantages over a Camcord.
Yes, but it does have an instant adrenaline component.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 23, 2016, 10:32:30 AM
Yes, but it does have an instant adrenaline component.

Bah humbug. Camry V6 does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Who needs more adrenaline than that?

;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on November 23, 2016, 10:42:50 AM
Bah humbug. Camry V6 does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Who needs more adrenaline than that?

;)
FWIW I'm over them. I just wanted to freak you out
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on November 23, 2016, 10:42:50 AM

;)
A bit of a snooze until around 9:00 minutes where they show the driving clips.  Best sounding inline 6 ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SomPKL16Ek

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 23, 2016, 11:06:45 AM
A bit of a snooze until around 9:00 minutes where they show the driving clips.  Best sounding inline 6 ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SomPKL16Ek

It is a gorgeous car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CaminoRacer

Check out the external shock reservoirs on this thing...

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Lol those shocks are comically big in real life. We had one on display in a conference room. The body was probably almost two feet long and 6 inches in diameter. It had three different bypass zones I think. They barely sold any. I'm shocked to see them out in the wild.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Well it's a Baja 1000 car so it's not too surprising.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 23, 2016, 10:41:04 PM
Check out the external shock reservoirs on this thing...

Check out the bungee cord keeping the trunk closed. :lol:

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 24, 2016, 04:23:23 AM

That's to absorb extra vibrations obv
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 24, 2016, 04:23:23 AM

Why install hood pins when you have a convenient external handle to attach a bungee cord to?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Nearest Honda to us is 75min. Of course they're the only ones who do recalls..

Both front airbags, then they also said there's another recall for SRS system. So much fun.  :zzz:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on November 24, 2016, 05:49:56 AM
That's to absorb extra vibrations obv

lifts the bumper 4 Moahr Speed
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 25, 2016, 09:30:14 AM
Nearest Honda to us is 75min. Of course they're the only ones who do recalls..

Both front airbags, then they also said there's another recall for SRS system. So much fun.  :zzz:

Did they close the Honda dealer in Watertown?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on November 25, 2016, 10:01:01 AM
Did they close the Honda dealer in Watertown?

oh. Wife scheduled this, a day we both didn't have to work. I didn't even think to check if there was one closer. :facepalm:
Will

CaminoRacer

These are the cars that got my Dad & I into autocrossing. He rode in the '70, I rode in the '69. They're incredibly fast, easy to drive, and nice to look at. Kyle used to be a GM suspension engineer before he started DSE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6T5tZ9_IQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTdKh0e7Jc

Eye of the Tiger

My dad drives a Ford Ascape. :/

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 25, 2016, 10:45:23 AM
These are the cars that got my Dad & I into autocrossing. He rode in the '70, I rode in the '69. They're incredibly fast, easy to drive, and nice to look at. Kyle used to be a GM suspension engineer before he started DSE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6T5tZ9_IQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTdKh0e7Jc

That 69 looks awesome.  The 70 isn't bad either. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

Drove 7hrs total to pick up son from mom. I don't like the Subaru tri-spoke steering wheel as much as the Odyssey 4-spoke. I can just hang my hands on the lower spokes on the van. Subie can't.

No, those aren't my pictures. I don't have a Momo wheel.... !
Will

Eye of the Tiger

I like three spoke wheels. I rarely put my hands inside of the rim.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 26, 2016, 05:17:29 PM
I like three spoke wheels. I rarely put my hands inside of the rim.

it's so much easier to just hang my thumbs on those bottom spokes....
Will