Possible GM/Chrysler merger?

Started by S204STi, October 10, 2008, 08:47:36 PM

the Teuton

Galaxy's right.  Why did DCX fall apart?  The companies had nothing in common.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on October 11, 2008, 10:14:15 AM

Fleets People are buying Pontiacs even with their "Faux-Sporty" image. I've always thought Pontiac to be the furtest distanced from Chevy as far as interior and exterior styling.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on October 10, 2008, 11:10:09 PM
Somehow Mazda made it happen.
Not only that, but Mazda did it without needing to whore the MX5 platform out to any other model.

Do the Brits say "Mazder" like they say "Javer" instead of "Java"?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

hotrodalex

The deal makes absolutely no sense. GM is too large as it is, 3 more brands wouldn't help one bit.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 11, 2008, 12:20:15 PM
The deal makes absolutely no sense. GM is too large as it is, 3 more brands wouldn't help one bit.
True. GM has enough of its own models competing for market share so why bring on even more?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

Hey Moderator, it appears there's already a thread on the topic.  Would you mind merging them?  :evildude:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=16088.0

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on October 11, 2008, 03:13:32 PM
Hey Moderator, it appears there's already a thread on the topic.  Would you mind merging them?  :evildude:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=16088.0

I would mind very, very much.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 11, 2008, 02:31:35 PM
True. GM has enough of its own models competing for market share so why bring on even more?

They could Then become so massively in debt and in trouble aGain that the only way to keep going is to then merge/ buy Ford- resulting in massive chaos in the US of A after they finally have to declare total bankruptcy and fire all the union employees and could start selling decent cars for a reasonable price..
Will

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on October 11, 2008, 11:53:44 AM
Not only that, but Mazda did it without needing to whore the MX5 platform out to any other model.

Do the Brits say "Mazder" like they say "Javer" instead of "Java"?

Yes.

Anyone hear about GM having talks with Ford now?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Atomic

chrysler has enough troubles! gm is not strong enough, either. someone with the resources needs to pour money into chrysler. they have some decent cars that sorely need attention - 300/charger/town & country/caravan/grand cherokee/wrangler. the pt-cruiser got off to a great start. chrysler, instead of updating this pretty solid vehicle allowed it to age with little to no improvements. they had the chance to turn it into a 4wd/awd subaru legacy/outback wagon fighter! i wrote many letters to chrysler with very positive replies giving me hope. they dropped the ball. sadly! gm will be in end of chrysler/dodge/dodge trucks/jeep. i would rather see a non-american company take over - honda, toyota, nissan (already rumored), bmw (my dream), etc.

my advice: gm, fix the mess that you already have. fmc would even be better. chrysler could replace mercury and lincoln - if done right! then again - the above mentioned brands would do chrysler wonders.

Secret Chimp

Chrysler just has so few redeeming vehicles, and GM has too many vehicles that are the exact same thing with different sheetmetal. I dunno what the merger would end up with.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on October 11, 2008, 03:38:30 PM
I would mind very, very much.

Cool, so moderators can repost but no one else can?

Your doucheness knows no bounds.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on October 12, 2008, 09:26:44 AM
Cool, so moderators can repost but no one else can?

Your doucheness knows no bounds.

I was kidding, and then forgot to go back and do it. And people call ME uptight.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on October 12, 2008, 09:47:36 AM
I was kidding, and then forgot to go back and do it. And people call ME uptight.

:lol:

My bad then.  I figured you were serious, since you hadn't done it.

FlatBlackCaddy

I think this is the ticket. Merging these two together will no doubt result in a serious automotive juggernaut that WILL rule the automotive universe.

GM's problems have ALWAYS stemed from their lack of brands in their portfolio. With the introduction of chrysler group they will have a large diverse group of brands with class leading products in every segment. This is so amazing that i can't believe it took this long to see it. GM management has really outdone themselves this time, perfection.

SVT666

I just read that Ford turned down a merger proposal from GM a few months ago.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 14, 2008, 09:46:24 AM
I just read that Ford turned down a merger proposal from GM a few months ago.

Quote from: the Teuton on October 11, 2008, 06:51:35 PM
Yes.

Anyone hear about GM having talks with Ford now?

GM needs to focus rather than diversify at this point.

Nethead

As GoCougs pointed out, they have the same product mix so there doesn't seem to be any  intelligent  advantages to either party--therefore, they'll doubtless forge ahead.  After all, a sack of flour makes a big biscuit.  Maybe they can hire Dubya as CEO of the combined organization--he'll be looking for work in a few months. 

The cost of integrating these two exceeds any cost savings from alleged "synergies" that hardly existed back when times were not so dismal and they sure as Hell don't exist now.  Besides, wait several months and Cerberus will have cut their asking price greatly.

This is not a time when either should be tying up with another troubled manufacturer--both have enough problems of their own that they can't seem to solve effectively without adding the problems of the other to their plates!  Shit...

So many stairs...so little time...

Nethead

It appears that sanity has won another round over stupidity, per this brief item from www.motortrend.com:

GM acquisition of Chrysler is off - GM loses $4.2 billion, Ford $2.9 billion
Posted Today 09:42 AM by Todd Lassa

DETROIT - General Motors has ended talks with Cerberus to acquire Chrysler LLC, GM CEO and chairman Rick Wagoner said Friday afternoon, without specifically naming Chrysler. "We're setting aside such an acquisition as a near-term priority," Wagoner said.

GM announced $5 billion in "additional enhancement initiatives," Friday, which means cutting employees and programs and reducing other capital spending. The savings are to be piled onto its $10 billion in savings and cash-raising activities, including selling Hummer, announced last summer. Selling cars and trucks has done nothing for raising cash, though, as GM reported a net loss of $2.5 billion in the third quarter of '08. Ford Motor Company lost $129 million.

Both of these numbers would have been much worse, if not for an accounting adjustment connected to the 2007 United Auto Workers settlement pertaining to retiree health care. If not for that adjustment, GM would have lost $4.2 billion, while Ford would have lost $2.9 billion.

So many stairs...so little time...