Does GM build anything you want?

Started by SVT666, November 03, 2008, 12:01:33 PM

SVT666

Here is a simple question:

Does GM build anything you would buy over the competition?

TBR

I'd probably buy a Suburban/Yukon XL over an Expedition EL simply because it looks much better (the Expedition is the better vehicle, though not by much).

I would have a tough time deciding between a Cobalt SS Turbocharged, a Mazdaspeed3, and a Civic Si.

A CTS would also likely get my money.

hotrodalex

I would buy a Sierra Denali over any other truck.

I would buy a Corvette over most any sports car.

I would buy a Cobalt SS over other sport compacts (maybe not over a Mini Cooper)

I'd probably buy the CTS-v over a 5er, since it's faster and less expensive than an M5. Nicer interior too.

I'd buy a Camaro over the Mustang or Challenger.

Pontiac G8 GT/GXP over a Charger or 300c

SVT666

The only thing in GM's lineup that I would actually buy over the competition is a Corvette Coupe or Cobalt SS.  Other manufacturers make cars and trucks that I would rather buy then what GM offers.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 03, 2008, 12:07:45 PM

I would buy a Cobalt SS over other sport compacts (maybe not over a Mini Cooper)

I'd probably buy the CTS-v over a 5er, since it's faster and less expensive than an M5. Nicer interior too.

I'm going to have to copy your list and maybe add the LaCrosse, except I still think the Legacy and Accord are better cars for the money.

Edit:  I'd buy a 993 over any modern sports car, so maybe that eliminates the Vette, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

Not that i can think of.

They have some things i like, but nothing i would buy.

In the past i would have said their trucks, but the new ones are OK and the new ram or ford would get my money.

The corvette is the only thing that had a shot, but if i had the cash and room for another fair weather expensive sports car i would buy a porsche.

FlatBlackCaddy

The stuff i've driven from GM lately has been a let down. I'd agree with the CTS-V as a knee jerk reaction. After initial thought though i'd remember my seat time in a base CTS and then probably go with the tried and true germans.

GoCougs

Camaro SS, but that's debatable since we really haven't seen it tested or compared. However, it's highly unlikely I'd ever buy a pony car.

The vehicles I am likely to buy; small pickups, small/mid-size SUVs, mid-size sedans, or AWD sedan/wagon with sporting intentions, GM (nor Detroit) has anything I would consider.

Eye of the Tiger

Nothing except the Corvette, which doesn't have any real competition.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

To be honest, I agree with Cougs.  Right now, I need an all-weather utility wagon with good gas mileage.  If I were to buy new today, the Subaru cars, the CR-V, and the SX4 would be at the top of my list.  GM doesn't offer what I need at the moment.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

If I were in the mood for a boring midsizer, I'd get a 4cyl Malibu.

Sport Compact= Cobalt SS

However, If were to go to GM of europe, I'd gladly consider anything, they make good products over there.

sportyaccordy

The only thing that comes close is the Z51 Corveezy, but I would rather pay the premium for a 911 C2

ifcar

I think I'd still pick the Silverado/Sierra over the competition, though I was also impressed with the new Ram.

I'd probably go with a Cobalt SS over other compact sporty 2-doors.

I might get the base Colorado/Canyon if I wanted a small truck.

None of their other current products are coming to mind here.

Atomic

i would say - corvette, but i think that is because it is an american icon. the quality is not the greatest - in fact, it would be subpar as a german car, imo. i still love it.

afty

OK, everyone else has said the same thing I'm going to.  But I'll say it anyway.

Corvette and Cobalt SS.  I like the G8, but I wouldn't buy one because (a) it lacks a manual, and (b) I'm not sure how smart it would be to buy a V8 family sedan now that we've seen $4/gal gas.  I also like the CTS, but I would have a hard time choosing it over the G37 or a 3-Series.

Cookie Monster

I'd buy a Z06 over a Carrera and GT-R. I'd buy a GT3 and GT2 over a ZR-1 but those don't really have the same price so it's a moot point.

I'd also probably get the CTS-V over the M5, E63, etc. Over the E90 M3, though, no, so it depends on what you consider to be its competition.

Other than that, no, though the Cobalt SS seems like a nice car. I'd probably take a Civic Si over one though.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on November 03, 2008, 01:59:52 PM
Other than that, no, though the Cobalt SS seems like a nice car. I'd probably take a Civic Si over one though.
Then you would be a fool. :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

On a unrelated note GM is dead in the water.

There are rumors of a "big announcement" on nov 5. Many speculate it's the chysler/gm merger, some think it's a chapter 11 announcement. Also some "inside" sources say it might even be something drastic like an outside purchase of GM by foreign automakers.

Looks like the titanic finally hit the iceberg and she's sinking fast, anyone have a request for the band?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Ditto! And I'll take the Soltice/Sky over the Miata.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Lebowski

Corvette is just about the only one.

I also like their full size truck/SUV offerings.

That's about it.  Their mainstream car offering is abysmal.

Onslaught

Corvette is the only one but I don't know if I'd actually buy one. I think their truck are better than Ford's but these days they are ugly.
I can't think of one domestic car I'd buy right now.

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on November 03, 2008, 04:15:14 PM
Corvette is the only one but I don't know if I'd actually buy one. I think their truck are better than Ford's but these days they are ugly.
I can't think of one domestic car I'd buy right now.

I agree.  All domestic cars are garbage.

93JC

I'd buy a Malibu, Aura, maybe an Astra, G8, Corvette, Silverado/Sierra, Colorado/Canyon, Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL, Acadia/Traverse/Outlook/Enclave, CTS, maybe STS, maybe HHR, and I'd take an Aveo/Wave for a spin if I was looking for a bare-bones econobox.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on November 03, 2008, 04:49:34 PM

Awesome, is that a corvette. They finally went mid engined, now it is a REAL supercar.

MidnightDave

I might buy a Z06 'vette sometime, not sure that's really over anything, it's kind of a unique placement/buying decision, at least for me, criteria: "American Icon" I could live with, once I had a lot of other cars first. ;-)

BTW, It saddens me this is true, back in the day ('70s vintage cars) I had many a GM vehicle, Camaro's, Chevelle's, a Monza, a Corvair, a 'vette...they weren't great cars, but they were good cars compared to a lot of what was on the market at the time. The German Euro's were unaffordable for most, the Japanese cars hadn't yet caught hold and I don't think the Koreans even made cars yet.

Times have changed...I think I'd recommend a Hyundai to my mom over a Chevy...
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on November 03, 2008, 04:49:34 PM

Thinking more in the line of the "Big 3" on that one. But I wouldn't buy that car either.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

That I want:  yes
That I want and can afford:  no

That'll probably change when Camaro finally comes out.  Can't guarantee it would be the car I'd finally settle on, but I could see it being a serious contender.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sandertheshark

Vette
Camaro
CTS
G8
Cobalt SS
Arcadia
And anything on the GMT900 platform.