That dream car thats just out of reach pricewise...

Started by r0tor, November 07, 2008, 09:51:00 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on November 08, 2008, 11:35:13 AM
"Not (be) a particularly good financial decision" = can't afford it.

As usual, you are incorrect.

afford

verb
1.  be able to spare or give up; "I can't afford to spend two hours with this person" 
2.  be the cause or source of; "He gave me a lot of trouble"; "Our meeting afforded much interesting information" [syn: yield] 
3.  have the financial means to do something or buy something; "We can't afford to send our children to college"; "Can you afford this car?" 
4.  afford access to; "the door opens to the patio"; "The French doors give onto a terrace" 

ANY discretionary purchase is, by definition, a poor decision viewed purely from the financial point of view.  That doesn't mean we should make zero discretionary purchases, it just means we have to balance how much enjoyment we get out of them vs. other uses of the funds.

Looked at another way, would I rather own a Porsche 911 or would I rather own an incremental $130k worth of stocks at prices that represent 10 year lows?  The fact that I have that choice by definition means I can "afford" either, but must choose between the two.  I choose the latter.

Warren Buffet doesn't drive an expensive car, because he chooses instead to own an incremental share or two of BRK/A.  Does that mean he can't afford an expensive car?

TBR

Quote from: Lebowski on November 08, 2008, 11:23:35 AM
As someone who lives well below your means yourself, I think you know exactly how they are not the same.  It's a matter of priorities.

I could walk into a Porsche dealership and pay cash for a 911 Turbo today if I wanted to, but doing so would not be a particularly good financial decision.

Out of reach = you can't afford it.

That's not the same as being able to afford something, but being prudent enough to save your money.  Most Americans do not get this concept, which is why we are in our current mess.  Sadly, to many Americans, if they can afford the payment on something it is within reach.  I don't live that way.  I define "within my reach" as able to pay cash for something without having to incur any debt, tap my retirement savings, or making any adjustments to my current standard of living.  Even then, just because something is "within my reach" doesn't mean I buy it, hence the lack of a 911 in my driveway.

Even if it was a prudent financial decision I wouldn't think it would be a prudent career decision considering the business you are in.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on November 08, 2008, 03:55:22 PM
I need to ask:

What n00bcake buys an RX-7 and then puts 5,000 miles over the course of 14 years? :wtf:

A lot of people bought them and squirreled them away.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: thecarnut on November 08, 2008, 03:55:22 PM
I need to ask:

What n00bcake buys an RX-7 and then puts 5,000 miles over the course of 14 years? :wtf:
One that will hopefully make me a happy man one day. I should start buying spare motors and turbos so I can keep one running.

dazzleman

Over the years, I've had a lot of dream cars that were out of reach financially.

My original dream car was a 1968-vintage Mercury Cougar.  At the time, the only ones I ciuld afford were in poor condition.

The 280Z was a dream car for me in the 1970s and the RX-7 in the 1980s.

I actually owmed a low-level 'dream car' for a while when I had my '73 Firebird, but it was a maintenance nightmare.

For a while, I loved the BMW Z-8.

But now, I can pretty much buy the car I want, within reason, and my thinking is like Lebowski's.  It's not so much a matter of whether I can afford but, but whether the money spent is worthwhile considering the level of enjoyment it brings.  Driving only about 8,000 miles a year has deterred me from getting a second car.  It would just be a wasting asset.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

AutobahnSHO

"Not (be) a particularly good financial decision" = can't afford it.

Lots of people make purchases they CAN afford but is not a wise move.
Will

S204STi

There's actually a 1999 996 Carrera for sale next door at our Saturn store... for $24,000. :mask:

3.4 made 300hp right?  I'd rock that.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on November 08, 2008, 11:45:50 AM
As usual, you are incorrect.

ANY discretionary purchase is, by definition, a poor decision viewed purely from the financial point of view.  That doesn't mean we should make zero discretionary purchases, it just means we have to balance how much enjoyment we get out of them vs. other uses of the funds.

Looked at another way, would I rather own a Porsche 911 or would I rather own an incremental $130k worth of stocks at prices that represent 10 year lows?  The fact that I have that choice by definition means I can "afford" either, but must choose between the two.  I choose the latter.

Warren Buffet doesn't drive an expensive car, because he chooses instead to own an incremental share or two of BRK/A.  Does that mean he can't afford an expensive car?

Let me help you further, free of charge:

If a rapidly depreciating, utterly non-essential asset such as a high-performance sports car is a significant portion of, of significantly larger than, your total net worth = "Not (be) a particularly good financial decision" = can't afford it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on November 07, 2008, 08:39:27 PM
My perrenial dream car, a 911.

It's not so much out of my reach, as it is that it would just be stupid to spend money on a new car right now.

You are in dire need of a mid-life crisis.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on November 10, 2008, 11:04:29 AM
Let me help you further, free of charge:

Again, your grasp of the definition is lacking.

For one thing, how essential or non-essential something is is totally independent of whether you have the means to possess it.

Try again.  Or better yet, try something entirely new and admit you're wrong (as usual).

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Lebowski on November 07, 2008, 08:39:27 PM
My perrenial dream car, a 911.

It's not so much out of my reach, as it is that it would just be stupid to spend money on a new car right now.

You could easily trade the C6 for a 996 C2S.

There is probably little to no difference in practicality either. And I imagine the 911 would be better on gas around town.

A 911 is always a good buy.

LMAO @ Cougs trying to bait you into buying one.

Champ

It'd have to be a Lotus for me, either Elise or Exige!

the Teuton

The SMG is kind of an acquired taste when it comes to driving and I'm sure there's some way to override it, but it will shift for you if you don't.  That being said, I remember the cheapest M5 we had on our lot was $92,000 over the summer.  That's positively a bargain!

I just found a 2.5RS for $2,500, but alas it's an auto, the engine is going bad (doesn't really matter with all of the cheap options out there), and I'm not in the position to buy it.  It might as well be $25,000 at this point.   :cry:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 07, 2008, 04:45:37 PM
The only generation that hasn't attained classic car status, but at the same time is old enough to have relinquished douchebag status...

A well kept example goes for 12Kish now. If not that, then a 328i. More money for mods

You and me both, man.  That's exactly where I'm at, automobile-wise.  That, or an LS1 GTO or an S197 'Stang GT.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

Dream car that's just out of reach price-wise...whatever the somewhat interesting crapbox du jour is on craigslist!  Semi realistically, the just-out of reach dreamcar is a late 90s/early 00s Saab.  Dreamcar can't be too special if it's gotta be semi realistic on a college budget!

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 09, 2008, 07:53:14 AM

Lots of people make purchases they CAN afford but is not a wise move.

In economics utility theory will tell you that it is a wise move.

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on November 10, 2008, 11:24:47 AM
Again, your grasp of the definition is lacking.

For one thing, how essential or non-essential something is is totally independent of whether you have the means to possess it.

Try again.  Or better yet, try something entirely new and admit you're wrong (as usual).

If it gives you pause, you can't afford it - especially so for something so non-essential as a $130k car.

There's no shame in it (other than trying to high-roll to impress a bunch of people on the Internets...).

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2008, 09:08:21 AM
If it gives you pause, you can't afford it - especially so for something so non-essential as a $130k car.

There's no shame in it (other than trying to high-roll to impress a bunch of people on the Internets...).

In a word, no.  I know many people that ware wealthy by any rational measure who think long and hard about purchasing big and even not so big ticket items.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Byteme on November 11, 2008, 10:24:34 AM
In a word, no.  I know many people that ware wealthy by any rational measure who think long and hard about purchasing big and even not so big ticket items.

+1.

I'm sure you guys have all heard of Clark Howard. The dude is a millionaire and still bargain shops everything.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 11, 2008, 12:35:20 PM
+1.

I'm sure you guys have all heard of Clark Howard. The dude is a millionaire and still bargain shops everything.

So does Ron Jeremy.  It's one way to stay a millionaire.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Quote from: Byteme on November 11, 2008, 10:24:34 AM

Let's not kid ourselves about the context of the discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2008, 09:08:21 AM

If a $130k purchase doesn't give you "pause", you're an idiot, whether you are worth nothing or $10 million.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on November 11, 2008, 12:48:26 PM

Let's not kid ourselves about the context of the discussion.

You're right, let's not. 

The context of the discussion was, I made a comment that had nothing to do with you and you took the opportunity to climb up on your soapbox.  Had it been anyone else, you wouldn't have crawled up their butt spouting off your misinformed idea of what "within your reach" means.

The root of the argument is, the concept of anyone younger than Cougs achieving any measure of success makes him extremely uncomfortable.  It's pretty clear you are an extremely insecure individual, you may want to look inside yourself for the source of that.

Not everything is a competition.  You know nothing of mine (or anyone else's) situation.  If I or anyone else makes a comment that I would like to buy such and such but decided not to, it's not your place to jump in (with ZERO knowledge of that person's situation) and start spouting off your ill-informed opinions, with a helping of your characteristic condescending attitude on the side.

sportyaccordy

Bowski I still think you should pick up the 911, Vettes are so midlife crisis.

911s = the German couple from Supertroopers

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on November 07, 2008, 10:29:43 AM

That's my cheap dream car.

You are so predictable it's getting boring.

I hope you're a character too, like RBA was.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 07, 2008, 04:45:37 PM
The only generation that hasn't attained classic car status, but at the same time is old enough to have relinquished douchebag status...

A well kept example goes for 12Kish now. If not that, then a 328i. More money for mods

The 328is and 325is particularly are pretty good deals on the used market.  I've seen 328is models going for under 7K.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.