1949 Cadillac Restoration project

Started by southdiver1, July 23, 2007, 05:06:39 AM

southdiver1

Mods, can I make this a sticky thread?

Folks, this is where I will keep everything up to date on the caddy. I will make a dfferent posting along with how much money I have sunk into the car so far as a runny tally at the bottom.
Against someone elsebetter advise, I will be keeping a running total however, I will be a bit backwards.
I am going to try as hard as I can to make this a $5000.00 project and therefore, I will start with 5 grand (not including the price of the car) and go backwards....
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

southdiver1

ALL RIGHT!!!!

OK, until I can re-upload the images to the correct size, you can see them at http://profile.imageshack.us/user/digitalbill
The car show pix do not have the caddy in them BTW.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.

southdiver1

OK.. I finally got the car to my house at about 10:00 PM on Sunday night.
I took a few shots of it and I will try to get more....

Check it out, the tag is from 1975, the last time it was on the road.

It looks like the owner was a square dancer?

Just some shots of the worst of the chrome

And finally, the front plate. I guess he used to show the car before?

280Z Turbo

Cool!

Not sure about the 5 grand thing.

After all the paint, chrome, upholstery, engine, wheels, etc. I don't see how you could do it for that much.

S204STi

Man, that's not horribly bad overall.  It'll look gorgeous when you're done though!

J86

AWESOME.  My buddy has a '38 powered by a 16 cylinder Rolls Royce motor, that is by far the coolest car I've ever ridden in.  This will be so freakin' cool.

Soup DeVille

Yeah, getting it done for $5000 would be a geack of a feat. Replacing or restoring the trim is gonna eat up a lot of that, and you can't exactly get parts for a 331 down at Autozone.

But more power to you.

(Hey, maybe I should start posting some picks of the '70 and see if I can get stickied too!)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

southdiver1

Money To Spend   $5,000.00    

Oil Filter   $14.05    Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter   $31.00    good filter for royal purple

Money Left   $4,954.95    

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on July 24, 2007, 05:36:34 AM

Oil Filter   $14.05    Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter   $31.00    good filter for royal purple

Money Left   $4,954.95    

Based on what I spent on rechroming the Jaguar, I would guess you could easily spend $2K to $2.5K on having the chrome bits redone.  That goes up if you have to find replacements.

I don't mean to sour your project, in fact I wish I had room and time for another project.  But the rule of thumb I have always heard is, estimate a liberal budget and then double it.  Its the nickel-dime stuff that helps eat up a budget.  I probably spent at least $350 in just screws, nuts, washers and bolts.   

Keep us informed and don't hesitiate to ask for advice.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: etypeJohn on July 24, 2007, 08:42:27 AM
Based on what I spent on rechroming the Jaguar, I would guess you could easily spend $2K to $2.5K on having the chrome bits redone.? That goes up if you have to find replacements.

I don't mean to sour your project, in fact I wish I had room and time for another project.? But the rule of thumb I have always heard is, estimate a liberal budget and then double it.? Its the nickel-dime stuff that helps eat up a budget.? I probably spent at least $350 in just screws, nuts, washers and bolts.? ?

Keep us informed and don't hesitiate to ask for advice.

And heck, there's not much chrome at all on an e-type! Those pot metal pieces on old Caddies can add up real quick.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

etypeJohn

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 24, 2007, 09:19:18 AM
And heck, there's not much chrome at all on an e-type! Those pot metal pieces on old Caddies can add up real quick.

Which is why I would concentrate on the mechanical's first, body sheetmetal second, interior third, and trim, including chrome last.  A lot of nasty looking chrome can be made fairly presentable with a good Chrome polish.  To make the best of pitted grungy chrome I would try The liquid turtle wax cjropme polish that comes in a small can that is shaped like a brake fluid can.  That stuff and elbow grease does wonders.

southdiver1

Here is my "plan of action"

1: Get some junkyard tires and rims. I need to have tires that hold air by this weekend so it doens't look abandoned in my driveway. The current rims are made for innertubes and I am having a hard time finding them locally. Any old crappy tire/rim combo will work.

2: Get the car running. I have not done ANYTHING to it yet on account of the rain but, I should see life this weekend.

3: Start working panel by panel. Taking off the chrome bits, sanding/priming/filling/and white primer seal each panel. I will leave the holes open for the chrome and in place, I will put a screw/nut combo with a rubber washer in each hole. Hopefully by the time I am ready to paint, I will know if I am gonna replace these trip peices or simply cover the holes up.  The white primer sealer should look good from 50 ft which is all I want for now.

southdiver1

Well, I have been shopping for new chrome mouldings. There are four "strips" on each side of the car...
I found a place in California but, they want just under $1,000.00 for the set so, while I am still looking, I am most likely gonna just fill in the holes and paint ofer them.  Unless, I find something aftermarket for WAY cheaper....

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on July 26, 2007, 09:58:57 AM
Well, I have been shopping for new chrome mouldings. There are four "strips" on each side of the car...
I found a place in California but, they want just under $1,000.00 for the set so, while I am still looking, I am most likely gonna just fill in the holes and paint ofer them.? Unless, I find something aftermarket for WAY cheaper....

I'm not surprised.  Trim pieces, when they are available, are generally very expensive because the market is so small. I would encourage you to get a hemmings and start contacting salvage yards and suppliers listed in the Caddilac section.  Another good source of parts and information would be any kind of Cadillac club.  Also Check into AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America).  Join it.  Costs about $25 a year and you get a magazine and a wealth of information.

You may be able to find good used trim parts for considerably less.

You should also know that many reproduction parts fit poorly.  If you can salvage an original part and have it refurbished you are generally better off.

S204STi

Hey Southdiver, these guys make some vintage looking radial tires, you might be able to find the right size, at least when you are ready to get some good rubber for it.

http://www.cokertire.com/

southdiver1

OK.. I have been researching lead body filling and I feel that, with the assistance of Harold Murphy who is a friend of my fathers and an OLD school lead sled builder (think 1950 Merc with a chop top), I should not only learn this old and rare art but, with enough practice, I should get pretty good at it and who knows, maybe I can even save some of this old chrome moulding and have it re-dipped.
Anyway, I hope to have this thing at least running by sunday evening. I will keep you informed.....

Soup DeVille

Quote from: southdiver1 on July 27, 2007, 02:11:25 PM
OK.. I have been researching lead body filling and I feel that, with the assistance of Harold Murphy who is a friend of my fathers and an OLD school lead sled builder (think 1950 Merc with a chop top), I should not only learn this old and rare art but, with enough practice, I should get pretty good at it and who knows, maybe I can even save some of this old chrome moulding and have it re-dipped.
Anyway, I hope to have this thing at least running by sunday evening. I will keep you informed.....

Leaders are like demi-gods. The only cooler people are the ones whu can hammer out panels by hand.

JWC

Three years ago and not realizing I was going to restore a couple of VW's, I threw out all my lead stuff.  I also threw out some  aluminum filler kits.  It was an aluminum powder and a catalyst agent.  Great stuff.

JWC

BTW, this stuff works great on cleaning grimy chrome without damaging it.  I used it to clean the chrome parts of my 3sp Raleigh.

southdiver1

Latest update...
Today was the first day I actually put a wrench to the car. The guy that I ordered the 6V battery from forgot to order it from his supplier so, I was unable to try to bump the car and therefore, i didn't bother with an oil change yet. 
1: I pulled all the plugs and shot WD40 in the holes. The plugs came out nice and easy and I did not notice any rust on them at all.
2: In order to get to the front pass plug, I had to move the generator. This would be my first true test so, another shot of WD40, a bit of muscle and a med size ratchet and the bolt came loose without snapping! The generator slid easily out of the way.
3: With all the plugs out, I attempted to spin the engine by hand by pulling on the fan blade. Nothing moved.  The crank is VERY close to the radiator and in order to get a socket on it, I need to take out the rad. I should have it pressure tested anyway so, next weekend, it will come out and I will finally see if I can get this engine spinning.

southdiver1

Quote from: JWC on July 28, 2007, 09:12:07 PM
Three years ago and not realizing I was going to restore a couple of VW's, I threw out all my lead stuff.? I also threw out some? aluminum filler kits.? It was an aluminum powder and a catalyst agent.? Great stuff.

I have no doubt that I will be asking you a LOT of questions.

Danish

Is it possible to replace the generator and 6V battery with an alternator and 12V battery?

(Anything is possible I suppose, I mean is it cheap and commonplace to do so?)
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Danish on July 29, 2007, 05:45:59 PM
Is it possible to replace the generator and 6V battery with an alternator and 12V battery?

(Anything is possible I suppose, I mean is it cheap and commonplace to do so?)

12V conversions are normal on old VWs- they even use the same starter motor. Old Caddies dont' have much aftermarket support though.

JWC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 29, 2007, 05:48:31 PM
12V conversions are normal on old VWs- they even use the same starter motor. Old Caddies dont' have much aftermarket support though.

I know guys who have switched and used the original starter motor, but not for long.  The correct way is to change out the flywheel and use a 12v starter. 

As to the conversion....all bulbs have to be changed out, front, rear, dome, and dash.  Probably all relays will also have to go.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on July 29, 2007, 09:00:26 PM
I know guys who have switched and used the original starter motor, but not for long.? The correct way is to change out the flywheel and use a 12v starter.?

:huh:

That's the setup onthe one in my driveway. Maybe the fact that its the original single port 1200 has something to do with it?

southdiver1

What I was kinda hoping to do in reguards to the 6V setup was to put in a 12V battery and then use a 6V converter where needed. For example, I would have a bunch of converters for things like lights, clock, starter, ect but, when i install a radio, that will go straight with the 12V.
As things like the generator and the starter go bad, I can replace then with a 12V and take them off the converter.
thoughts?

Danish

Quote from: southdiver1 on July 30, 2007, 08:57:33 AM
What I was kinda hoping to do in reguards to the 6V setup was to put in a 12V battery and then use a 6V converter where needed. For example, I would have a bunch of converters for things like lights, clock, starter, ect but, when i install a radio, that will go straight with the 12V.
As things like the generator and the starter go bad, I can replace then with a 12V and take them off the converter.
thoughts?

Seems to me, if you are doing a complete restore, may as well bring the entire electricals into the 21st century :huh:

Many of the bulbs/relays in the car are probably shot anyways and it'd be cheaper and easier to find 12V ones

Just a thought
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on July 30, 2007, 08:57:33 AM
thoughts?

I remember a friend of mine who was dropping a 289 Ford V8 into a Ford Cortina.  The V8 needed 12 volts and the car chassis needed 6.  The solution was a 12V battery with a 12 V alternator and ignition system.  The guy modfied the battery with a tap (actually a big screw) in the middle that acted as a positive terminal post for 6 volts.  I don't remember if it worked or not.  In theory it would.

southdiver1

For those keeping score so far:

Oil Filter                   $14.05    Cheap filter for initial change
Oil Filter                   $31.00    good filter for royal purple
Oil Catch                   $9.83    Need to drain the oil at home
Seafoam                   $15.22    Hopefully this will flush everything out
Bungee cords   $6.99    Gotta hold down the tarp
Oil pan gasket   $17.93    Gotta scrape the pan.. Yummy

Money Left   $4,904.98    
Money Spent   $95.02