The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

giant_mtb

White is fun.  As satisfying as black paint, honestly.  Getting that orangey, road film junk off is nice.

Yeah...those are drilled/slotted rotors on a Silverado... :lol:

Submariner

My new place has a spigot in the garage, so I can wash the cars indoors all winter long.  I decided to try my hand at it:

The lighting in the garage, unfortunately, isn't spectacular.  I have a single 150w equivalent LED bulb in the door motor, but the two overhead lights are proprietary LED 'discs', and I don't know where to look for brighter ones.  The low light makes it hard to take photos and even harder to actually clean the car, as you really can't see dirt, dust, etc.  So, I'm going to buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7C73DX/ref=twister_B06WRRRFLQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
for the door motor, and one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Equivalent-Waterproof-Outdoor-Floodlight/dp/B01KFVFQEI/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1541405687&sr=8-14&keywords=led+flood+lighting
to aim towards the ceiling for additional indirect light.  That should give me enough lumens to properly see the metal as well as the interior for when I vacuum, clean, etc.

Which leads me to a few questions.  For starters, how do I go about removing dirt without swirl marks?  I try and wash as much dirt off with the hose, but no matter how much I spray, some still remains.  I take the cloth and gently 'dab' the dirt but only so much comes off.  Also, when I'm done with the car, I don't know how to dry it.  I have a leaf blower but that seems to leave water streaks, and I'm hesitant to use even a clean chamois to dry for the same reasons as I am to use them to wash the car.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

You're not going to get all the dirt off unless you get some soap and water and a wash mitt going.  That's like stepping in the shower and expecting to be crystal clean without shampooing your hair or washing your armpits with soap. ;)

Being gentle is how you do it without swirls, but it's inevitable that you're going to get some minor swirls over time.  Luckily for you, white paint doesn't show swirls all that much.  For drying, if your paint is clean (washed with soap and water) you don't have to worry much about swirls if you're using a towel to dry.  I'm more of a microfiber or squeegee guy when it comes to drying...chamois have never impressed me.  I will also use my ShopVac in blower mode to blow out nooks and crannies, like the side mirrors, wheels, roof rails, etc., so that you don't have a bunch of water sitting in there waiting to leave spots once you start driving the vehicle again.

Wash one section at a time, top to bottom.  This minimizes the amount of dirt you're working with.  The top portions of your car are always going to be cleaner than the lower parts where all of the road spray and gunk builds up.

This is a good video for the basics without any fluff and without being half a fricken hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRaMz5z2rHI

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 12, 2018, 02:45:10 PM
You're not going to get all the dirt off unless you get some soap and water and a wash mitt going.  That's like stepping in the shower and expecting to be crystal clean without shampooing your hair or washing your armpits with soap. ;)

Being gentle is how you do it without swirls, but it's inevitable that you're going to get some minor swirls over time.  Luckily for you, white paint doesn't show swirls all that much.  For drying, if your paint is clean (washed with soap and water) you don't have to worry much about swirls if you're using a towel to dry.  I'm more of a microfiber or squeegee guy when it comes to drying...chamois have never impressed me.  I will also use my ShopVac in blower mode to blow out nooks and crannies, like the side mirrors, wheels, roof rails, etc., so that you don't have a bunch of water sitting in there waiting to leave spots once you start driving the vehicle again.

Wash one section at a time, top to bottom.  This minimizes the amount of dirt you're working with.  The top portions of your car are always going to be cleaner than the lower parts where all of the road spray and gunk builds up.

This is a good video for the basics without any fluff and without being half a fricken hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRaMz5z2rHI

That's actually a loaner car.  My ML is black, and it really needs a paint correction (the former owner only had it for 15k or so miles but it seems as if they used Brillo to wash it). 

Also, I meant to say microfiber, not chamois.  I use some Kirkland microfiber towels. 

Thanks for the video and advice.

Oh, and what should I use for caked on tar/bugs?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on November 12, 2018, 02:48:54 PM
That's actually a loaner car.  My ML is black, and it really needs a paint correction (the former owner only had it for 15k or so miles but it seems as if they used Brillo to wash it). 

Also, I meant to say microfiber, not chamois.  I use some Kirkland microfiber towels. 

I scrape tar and bugs off with a good finger nail, one at a time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on November 12, 2018, 02:48:54 PM

Ah, black.  Well, if it already seems to need correction, you're not likely to make it any worse with hand washing.  But with black, that's just the name of the game.  If you do have it professionally corrected to a clean slate, then you'll get really good at gentle hand washing. :lol:  Also, a coat of wax a couple/few times a year works great to keep swirls close to invisible (at least on a freshly corrected finish).  When I had A4, I would wax frequently, and only did actual powered polishing a couple times over the 4-5 years I owned it because I kept it in check by being very nice to it via being gentle when washing and keeping 'er waxed.

For tar and bugs and junk, I use degreaser.  There're all kinds of products and junk out there on the shelves "designed" for tar and bugs, but I've found that degreaser is the way to go, and it's much cheaper when you can buy a gallon for $10 and put a few ounces at a time into a spray bottle.  Also great as a tire and wheelwell cleaner.  If something is really stubborn, or you have tree sap or something, rubbing alcohol works really, really well.  I get the high-test 91% stuff and put it into spray bottles.  Also works great for windows and removing badges or sticker residue from any surface.  GooGone leaves a mess behind, rubbing alcohol simply evaporates away.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 12, 2018, 03:10:22 PM
Ah, black.  Well, if it already seems to need correction, you're not likely to make it any worse with hand washing.  But with black, that's just the name of the game.  If you do have it professionally corrected to a clean slate, then you'll get really good at gentle hand washing. :lol:  Also, a coat of wax a couple/few times a year works great to keep swirls close to invisible (at least on a freshly corrected finish).  When I had A4, I would wax frequently, and only did actual powered polishing a couple times over the 4-5 years I owned it because I kept it in check by being very nice to it via being gentle when washing and keeping 'er waxed.

For tar and bugs and junk, I use degreaser.  There're all kinds of products and junk out there on the shelves "designed" for tar and bugs, but I've found that degreaser is the way to go, and it's much cheaper when you can buy a gallon for $10 and put a few ounces at a time into a spray bottle.  Also great as a tire and wheelwell cleaner.  If something is really stubborn, or you have tree sap or something, rubbing alcohol works really, really well.  I get the high-test 91% stuff and put it into spray bottles.  Also works great for windows and removing badges or sticker residue from any surface.  GooGone leaves a mess behind, rubbing alcohol simply evaporates away.

Silly me.  I never thought to use running alcohol.

Thanks!!!

CaminoRacer

A clean black Suburban in the snow looks boss.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Too bad it'll only be clean for about 100 ft. :lol:

Also, that Tahoe hides dirt very well.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 14, 2018, 02:46:06 PM
Too bad it'll only be clean for about 100 ft. :lol:

Also, that Tahoe hides dirt very well.

Yeah, luckily the road I took was dry when I drove it back to the customer so it still looked shiny and stuff when she got to see it, just a bit of dirty snow on the tires.  But she drives on the highway to get home...so...yeah, didn't last long. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 14, 2018, 02:44:03 PM
A clean black Suburban in the snow looks boss.

That was the first 'after' picture I've taken outside (edit: since it started getting cold and shit)...it just looked too damn good on the snow.  So now I'm going to make that a habit.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 14, 2018, 02:55:14 PM
That was the first 'after' picture I've taken outside (edit: since it started getting cold and shit)...it just looked too damn good on the snow.  So now I'm going to make that a habit.

:ohyeah:

Looks much better than the reflection of insulation and detailing supplies. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 15, 2018, 03:40:21 PM
:ohyeah:

Looks much better than the reflection of insulation and detailing supplies. :lol:

God forbid there be detailing supplies in a detailing shop.

giant_mtb

too dark outside for outdoor picz today.

I'm getting pretty good at getting the before/after pictures to line up very closely.  Using the tripod helps a lot.  I've taken hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pictures of cars and am pretty good at getting similar angles freehand, but the tripod helps that much more.  I never bother to go back and look at the 'before' pictures.  I know what angles I do.

giant_mtb

Got me a Challenger this evening.  ~5k miles on 'er.  AWD V6, the lady DDs it.

Also did an Enclave today.

CaminoRacer

My 5th grade teacher bought a Mustang in that same color. I think it's cool to see middle aged women DDing pony cars
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 16, 2018, 05:35:52 PM
My 5th grade teacher bought a Mustang in that same color. I think it's cool to see middle aged women DDing pony cars

Agreed. She had a Ford Edge before this, so quite the jump. I didn't realize it was her DD 'til I went inside and chatted with her and her husband when I picked it up. I thought they were just wanting it cleaned up before storage!

Hadn't driven one before. Only drove it a couple miles across town and back, but it's a nice ride.  Visibility is obviously a slight issue and it certainly has an amount of coffin/bathub feel to it, but I still felt confident about its physical boundaries. It's kind of cool looking out over that long hood. Didn't really open 'er up since I was driving it cold and it's not my car, but there's certainly some power there.  Drives nicely, as this platform does (assuming it's the same platform as the Charger and such).

giant_mtb

Soapbox

I like when people respond positively to what I do.  94% of my customers seem genuinely impressed/satisfied, and that really makes it worth it.  Money is one thing, but it's icing on the cake when somebody is enthused with the work I've done. I put a lot of time and effort into the job and never half-ass anything no matter how nasty (or not) a vehicle is when it's placed in my hands, so it's very rewarding to feel appreciated, and I appreciate when people can comprehend the scale of what I've done.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 16, 2018, 08:14:04 PM
Soapbox

I like when people respond positively to what I do.  94% of my customers seem genuinely impressed/satisfied, and that really makes it worth it.  Money is one thing, but it's icing on the cake when somebody is enthused with the work I've done. I put a lot of time and effort into the job and never half-ass anything no matter how nasty (or not) a vehicle is when it's placed in my hands, so it's very rewarding to feel appreciated, and I appreciate when people can comprehend the scale of what I've done.
That's a huge part of work. Being good at what you do. Having a realistic understanding that you are good at what you do. Knowing the value of what you do. And getting appreciated for it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 15, 2018, 03:51:33 PM
too dark outside for outdoor picz today.
I'm getting pretty good at getting the before/after pictures to line up very closely.  Using the tripod helps a lot.  I've taken hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pictures of cars and am pretty good at getting similar angles freehand, but the tripod helps that much more.  I never bother to go back and look at the 'before' pictures.  I know what angles I do.
What camera do you use? Since you're shooting against a light background it might be trying to expose for that rather than the cars. So maybe bump up the exposure a tad to compensate.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 17, 2018, 05:36:33 PM
What camera do you use? Since you're shooting against a light background it might be trying to expose for that rather than the cars. So maybe bump up the exposure a tad to compensate.

Just my phone camera, Galaxy S5 Active.  The camera is pretty damn good for an "old" phone.  But yeah, that might be a good idear.

giant_mtb

recent projex

Might be the first Kia I've ever done, or at least that I can remember doing.  Neat little vehicle, but it was quite a mess as the owners are dog breeders, but she was plenty pleased with the results.

giant_mtb

Been trying to come up with ways to drum up some business in this slow winter period.  People often remark "you'd think people would want their vehicles detailed more in the winter than the summer," but it's the complete opposite, as the moment you get back on the road, your vehicle (at least the exterior) is immediately dirty again, so most people just don't care.  Whereas in the summer, your vehicle can look fairly pristine for a solid week after a good washin' and waxin' if the weather cooperates.

So, I've been thinking about getting people in the door for interior detailings.  Was thinking of offering a free wash with purchase of an interior detailing.  I wouldn't go quite as all-out with the wash as I typically do for vehicles I'm prepping for a good waxin' (skip the claybar mitt, skip the wheelwells), but it would still be a helluva lot better than the wash any automatic carwash can provide.  Would cost me 30-45 minutes of my time, depending on the vehicle.  Fairly small beans, as I don't really get paid "by the hour" in a traditional sense.  My time is, of course, valuable, but cash flow is also critical. :lol:

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 27, 2018, 03:29:44 PM
Been trying to come up with ways to drum up some business in this slow winter period.  People often remark "you'd think people would want their vehicles detailed more in the winter than the summer," but it's the complete opposite, as the moment you get back on the road, your vehicle (at least the exterior) is immediately dirty again, so most people just don't care.  Whereas in the summer, your vehicle can look fairly pristine for a solid week after a good washin' and waxin' if the weather cooperates.

So, I've been thinking about getting people in the door for interior detailings.  Was thinking of offering a free wash with purchase of an interior detailing.  I wouldn't go quite as all-out with the wash as I typically do for vehicles I'm prepping for a good waxin' (skip the claybar mitt, skip the wheelwells), but it would still be a helluva lot better than the wash any automatic carwash can provide.  Would cost me 30-45 minutes of my time, depending on the vehicle.  Fairly small beans, as I don't really get paid "by the hour" in a traditional sense.  My time is, of course, valuable, but cash flow is also critical. :lol:

For salty weather, a pressure washer (on a lower power setting) combined with a soap attachment offers about 70% of the clean at one 1/10th the time penalty.  If the salt and dirt is really caked on, I just end up dabbing the areas with a wet microfiber towel.  Sometimes, as you point out, it's just not worth spending the time to get a 100% perfect clean when it takes three hours to do.

I think you're onto something when you talk about interior specials.  Mats and rugs get soaked this time of year, and the salt and grime makes it so much worse than the summer months.  Just taking out the mats and scrubbing them makes such a huge difference in the appearance of the interior.  A good vacuum and spot clean (or full shampoo) of the carpets is seemingly always necessary.  Grime and dirt seems to build up much more quickly from November to March than from April to October.  Most people are either unwilling (or strangely intimidated) to simply wipe down their seats and dashboard with a damp towel, even though such an easy cleaning is desperately needed.

I'd pursue that idea if I were you.

Speed_Racer

What about some corrosion prevention options? Focusing on a wash that cleans salt from the underbody, or doing Fluid Film applications?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on December 27, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
For salty weather, a pressure washer (on a lower power setting) combined with a soap attachment offers about 70% of the clean at one 1/10th the time penalty.  If the salt and dirt is really caked on, I just end up dabbing the areas with a wet microfiber towel.

Dabbing areas with a microfiber...you're adorable.  :lol:

You've clearly no idea the condition of roads here in the winter.

giant_mtb

Pressure washing Does Not remove salt.  Nor does "dabbing."  You're out of your goddamn mind.  That's like jumping into a mud puddle and assuming that "dabbing" yourself with a cloth will make you clean.  Come on, man. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 27, 2018, 08:54:59 PM
Pressure washing Does Not remove salt.  Nor does "dabbing."  You're out of your goddamn mind.  That's like jumping into a mud puddle and assuming that "dabbing" yourself with a cloth will make you clean.  Come on, man. 

Pressure washing seems to do a decent job of it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 27, 2018, 08:54:59 PM
What's a good way of getting rid of salt?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."