Detail Shop

Started by giant_mtb, December 16, 2017, 12:48:17 AM

giant_mtb

Stop stays nice and cool. Was about 78F today.  I didn't work as I had a surprise day off (cancellation due to mechanical issues), and when I got to the shop this evening to go for a spin on the pedal bike, it was only 65F in the garage. :rockon:

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 22, 2018, 05:16:42 PM
IMO, things like old gas tanks are dangerous no matter who owns he property, so there should be a fund for remediating smaller things like that, and not requiring superfund levels of funding.

Would be useful for landowners with oil pumps where the oil company went under. The land owner is left with the liability of the oil pumps.

giant_mtb

Nothing really new with the shop. Been so busy working that I've no time (or energy) for projects. That's okay, though, as it's fully functional. Most everything I want to do at this point is aesthetic.

Did some work for an insurance guy. So of course he asked about my business/building insurance. I gave him all my papers and he came back with a quote that's about 25% less than what I have now.  Haven't seen the actual policy (he just called today), but if the coverage is equivalent or better, I'll probably go with that.  ~$700 is $700.

CaminoRacer

When did you put the hanging plants out front? Looks good
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 14, 2018, 02:26:27 PM
When did you put the hanging plants out front? Looks good

Thanks man. Couple weeks ago. Told my mom I wanted some plants out front and she came in clutch. Amazing the responses I've gotten...people are pleased that somebody is doing something with the building and I'm like bro all I did was hang some flowers. :lol:

But yeah, such a simple thing makes a nice difference.

giant_mtb

Work has begun on the building behind mine, the potential future brewery/pub/whatever.  Currently they're media blasting any paint covering the brick.  They're working on the wall right next to my place at the moment.  Kinda fun...looks like a job I would enjoy...tedious and detailed, but you get to spray shit with a hose. :rockon:

That back wall, there.

AutobahnSHO

Hey what's the best cheap interior spray for cleaning dash/interior?

I never bother but wife wants to clean cars up. They're not dirty but dusty.
Will

giant_mtb

My favorite of the store-boughts. Cleans, smells good, doesn't leave greasy residue. Been buying it by the gallon for a number of years for my uses.  A single spray bottle (Walmart, Advance Auto, wherever should have it) will last you a while.

AutobahnSHO

Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 12, 2018, 10:56:04 PM

My favorite of the store-boughts. Cleans, smells good, doesn't leave greasy residue. Been buying it by the gallon for a number of years for my uses.  A single spray bottle (Walmart, Advance Auto, wherever should have it) will last you a while.
I've had bottles of cleaners last me for years.  Could be because I hardly ever get around to using them. :(
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 13, 2018, 08:01:33 AM
I've had bottles of cleaners last me for years.  Could be because I hardly ever get around to using them. :(

Oh yeah. Everybody has a stash of old cleaners. I don't so much these days, as I did a pretty solid purge when I got all my stuff into the shop, but there are still some products that I simply don't use all that often that gather dust.

Submariner

What are your thoughts on Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish?

My ML needs a paint correction, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if I can use this for my swirled paint.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

I've never used it, but it looks like a decent spray-wax type product. Go for it! It'll definitely shine up dat Benz.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 23, 2018, 11:50:18 AM
I've never used it, but it looks like a decent spray-wax type product. Go for it! It'll definitely shine up dat Benz.

Alright.  Do I have to do anything besides give it a nice wash?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on November 23, 2018, 02:52:14 PM
Alright.  Do I have to do anything besides give it a nice wash?

Nope.  A good washin' is all she needs. 

Eye of the Tiger

What kind of wax should I use on single stage gloss white paint that was sprayed and never sanded? It attracts dirt like crazy.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 30, 2018, 05:27:56 PM
What kind of wax should I use on single stage gloss white paint that was sprayed and never sanded? It attracts dirt like crazy.

Pam
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 02, 2018, 09:48:13 PM
So ..
bacon drippings?

Yeah, smear bacon drippings all over your car and then park it anywhere on earth where there are animals,
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2018, 07:36:49 AM
Yeah, smear bacon drippings all over your car and then park it anywhere on earth where there are animals,

Is that considered poaching?

RomanChariot

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2018, 07:36:49 AM
Are you implying that all those animals licking it with their soft tongues will polish it to a remarkable sheen?  If so, it's a revolutionary idea.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."