Matte Finish Hood

Started by giant_mtb, November 01, 2018, 01:33:31 PM

giant_mtb

So for a while, I've been wanting to make my hood a matte finish.  I think it might look neat and would help a lot with sun glare.  I could just buy a primer-black hood, but that's more expensive, and I dunno if I want a black hood.  Would be cool if I could make the red hood matte so it still matches color-wise.

I believe my process should be as follows:

- Clean the hood
- Wetsand the current clearcoat with 600, 800?
- Clean again
- Spray away

Is it that simple?  Am I missing anything?  Any idears?  I'm fairly confident in my abilities, but the hood is a pretty large piece of bodywork, so I don't wanna fuck it up.  Of course I'll be masking everything off and all that jazz.  Could take the hood off entirely and leave the truck outside, but I dunno how much of a PITA it is to get a hood lined up nicely (would also require an extra set of hands).

If I were to just buy a new hood, I'd get a hood without the fuckin' scoop.  They're only $95 on RockAuto but uhhhh $400 to ship. :lol:

Soup DeVille

If you take the hood off, drill an 1/8th hole through each hinge bracket and into the inner metal on the hood before you loosen anything. Then, when you put it back on, use these holes and the drill bit as an alignment tool. It will save you hours of guessing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2018, 01:36:36 PM
If you take the hood off, drill an 1/8th hole through each hinge bracket and into the inner metal on the hood before you loosen anything. Then, when you put it back on, use these holes and the drill bit as an alignment tool. It will save you hours of guessing.

Well, there's an idear.

Soup DeVille

Have you considered a matte vinyl wrap?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2018, 02:14:00 PM

Hmm, not really. Did a little searching just now and can't find anything for my hood.  At least not the whole hood. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2018, 02:14:00 PM

That sounds better than messing with the paint

Most vinyl jobs are custom btw
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

Eeek. Don't fuck with the paint dude, just put a matte wrap on it. Far less time consuming, more consistent and—maybe most importantly—it's reversible, you just have to take the wrap off.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2018, 01:36:36 PM

Also this.

Quote from: 93JC on November 01, 2018, 02:50:48 PM
Eeek. Don't fuck with the paint dude, just put a matte wrap on it. Far less time consuming, more consistent and—maybe most importantly—it's reversible, you just have to take the wrap off.

The consistency of a wrap is the big key IMO. Flat/matte can be tough to get right. My car is an excellent satin black color, but it took a skilled painter to do it. Less skilled painters end up with it looking like a rattle-canned primer job.

A wrap could be tough with the hood scoop, though.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

The practical side of me has always wanted a matte hood, but I've never done it.

shp4man

My old truck's hood is kind of matte...it was done by the 30 year oxidation method.  :lol:

MrH

Wrap the hood for sure.  Sanding your clear coat off is crazy talk.

Something like a hood would be easy to wrap.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2018, 02:30:41 PM
Hmm, not really. Did a little searching just now and can't find anything for my hood.  At least not the whole hood. 
I wrapped the roof of my G8! Easy Peasy! Waaaay less work than painting!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

I have to say you probably have like 90% of what it takes to dona wrap in your shop already.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 01, 2018, 04:36:27 PM
I have to say you probably have like 90% of what it takes to dona wrap in your shop already.

Oh yeah, I could do it. I has a heat gun and various tools I could use as spreader guidey things.

Might be the way to go. Who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it and start offering it as a service.

Real question is...where do I get a hood-sized sheet of fuckin vinyl.

Soup DeVille

3M

One thing you might offer is doing protective clear films over fog, head, and tail lights. You just stock a roll, learn how to do it and put up a poster or something at your shop.

Might give you some cash flow in the winter months.

giant_mtb

Yeah, my buddy with the CTS-V has been suggesting I get into the clear bra via 3M vinyl game for a while now. He told me what he paid to have his done and I was like Jesus Christ that would pay my gas bill for a year. Granted, I can't charge Detroit prices in the UP,  but.

68_427

Uh

Get matte clear vinyl put on.  Probably cost $100
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Alright alright. Vinyl is the way to go.

Will update soonish.  Kinda p00r at the moment.  Finally on the upswing after my trip out west, but just paid all my bills so I'm still low on extraneous ca$h.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2018, 04:41:02 PM
Oh yeah, I could do it. I has a heat gun and various tools I could use as spreader guidey things.

Might be the way to go. Who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it and start offering it as a service.

Real question is...where do I get a hood-sized sheet of fuckin vinyl.
Ebay!

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 01, 2018, 05:00:29 PM
Yeah, my buddy with the CTS-V has been suggesting I get into the clear bra via 3M vinyl game for a while now. He told me what he paid to have his done and I was like Jesus Christ that would pay my gas bill for a year. Granted, I can't charge Detroit prices in the UP,  but.
Yeah they've jacked the prices through the roof to wrap/clear wrap cars now! Sometimes more than an actual paint job!  :nutty:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed