BMW CS Vintage Concept by David Obendorfer

Started by cawimmer430, May 31, 2019, 06:21:11 AM

cawimmer430

This is f*cking gorgeous. I love retro design.  :wub:  :rockon:

BMW CS Vintage Concept by David Obendorfer pays tribute to 1968 E9 Series
all images © david obendorfer

The project by car designer David Obendorfer is a modern interpretation of the 1968 BMW E9 series designed by Giovanni Michelotti. it focuses on two models: Michelotti's E9 and its predecessor, the 1965 BMW 2000 CS (E120 series). the BMW CS vintage concept is based on the 6 series platform; the style, despite numerous citations from the past, is substantially contemporaneous with updated proportions and with modern details, many of which are influenced by nautical styling solutions.

The interior design is minimalist with simple lines and high quality materials such as wood or hand-stitched leather. it lacks references to the BMW coupés of the 60s such as the four circular instruments that on the CS vintage concept become four small TFT screens two of which are freely programmable. the central hideaway monitor displays navigational and infotainment data.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Some more pics from his website. He does amazing retro concepts and was also responsible for the MB E-Class W114/W115 retro design posted on this board.

http://www.davidobendorfer.com

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Nice, but why the long face?  I like it except for what appears to be a rather muted proboscis.  The interior is interesting.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Payman

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on May 31, 2019, 07:48:17 AM
No it isn't. It's hard as hell to get right.
What's hard about it? They took an old design, added some modern stuff, colored it brown. O wow how revolutionary.

No, what was revolutionary was Hofmeister's original design 50 years ago. He didn't have anything to refer back to or copy from. This design was cutting edge in its day. Shit like this is basically like those Chinese clones of modern cars. One can pay homage to great design without shamelessly copying it. Here, let's pay homage.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 31, 2019, 07:28:24 AM
Retro is lazy.

I think it's natural. Designers in all areas have often looked to the past for inspiration.

To me there's nothing wrong or lazy about retro design. It would actually be fun to drive a modern, safe, fast, comfortable and efficient retro-styled version of something old and iconic.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Looking to the past is one thing, completely rehashing an existing design is another thing

I guess we just have to agree to disagree

2o6

Once again, his work is technically good - but this design feels off somehow. It looks good, I guess, but I can't put my finger on why it doesn't look special...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on June 01, 2019, 09:38:57 AM
Once again, his work is technically good - but this design feels off somehow. It looks good, I guess, but I can't put my finger on why it doesn't look special...

It's too smooth, doesn't have enough of a "face" ?

2o6

I think....the proportions and translation from CS to this concept is too literal.

I wish more was done to modernize the shape.

That recent Peugeot E-Legend is a better retro concept

12,000 RPM

FoMoJo

Good designs look like they're carved out of billet.  This one looks like it's molded in plastic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 01, 2019, 01:07:03 PM
Here is a modernized 3.0 CS

:(

Of course, that's why the vintage concept doesn't look quite right. It's not a bland crossover.

Galaxy

An example where it worked was the BMW Z8.

12,000 RPM

Payman

Once again, his work is technically good - but this design feels off somehow. It looks good, I guess, but I can’t put my finger on why it doesn’t look special...

The side glass should have come down to the shoulder crease, and the headlights shouldn't be connected by the odd black trim.

Payman

Still, if BMW made this on the 2-series, a CS235i, priced to compete with the NA pony cars, I think people would go nuts for it.

12,000 RPM

The regular 2er is everything enthusiasts claim to want... but if you look for new inventory all that pops up are automatic convertibles

People would "go nuts" but nobody would actually buy it :(

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 03, 2019, 08:32:18 AM
The regular 2er is everything enthusiasts claim to want... but if you look for new inventory all that pops up are automatic convertibles

People would "go nuts" but nobody would actually buy it :(

You sure do love to victim-blame with enthusiasts :P Look at the FreezeBreeze for a counterexample to your assertion. The company underestimated the enthusiasts and pumped out a lot of ATs which just rotted on lots.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

I'm not blaming enthusiasts, just speaking to what the market is vs what people want it to be

Galaxy

Quote from: Rockraven on June 03, 2019, 07:57:54 AM
Still, if BMW made this on the 2-series, a CS235i, priced to compete with the NA pony cars, I think people would go nuts for it.

Someone made a 02 based on a 1 Series basis, and it looks odd once modern requirements are taken into account.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-02-bauer-cabrio-auf-1er-basis-everytimer-eta-02-14815127.html

Plus €80,000 - €100,000.

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on June 03, 2019, 01:20:02 PM
Someone made a 02 based on a 1 Series basis, and it looks odd once modern requirements are taken into account.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-02-bauer-cabrio-auf-1er-basis-everytimer-eta-02-14815127.html

Plus €80,000 - €100,000.

Front looks decent and OK from the side.  Rear looks super awkward.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5