2020 BMW 3-Series Touring: Striking Looks With Added Practicality

Started by cawimmer430, June 12, 2019, 05:47:20 AM

cawimmer430

2020 BMW 3-Series Touring: Striking Looks With Added Practicality

Just hours after leaked photos of the 2020 BMW 3-Series Touring surfaced online, the car has been officially presented by the car manufacturer.

The new 3-Series Touring is slightly larger than its predecessor, measuring 4709 mm (185 inches) in length, 1827 mm (72 inches) in width and 1470 mm (57.8 inches) in height. The wheelbase has also been extended by 41 mm to 2851 mm (112 inches). Much like the sedan, the new 3-Series Touring adopts a sharp front end with aggressive headlights, large kidney grilles and horizontal T-shaped front air intakes in the Sport Line and Luxury Line models. Roof rails also come standard.

Inside, the new car includes a newly-designed leather sports steering wheel as standard. Occupants in the new 3-Series Touring will be welcomed with additional shoulder room in the front, improved headroom for all passengers and greater legroom for those in the rear. Other important features of the car include an automatic tailgate and a load compartment which is 112 mm wider than the previous model. All up, the trunk can hold 500 liters (17 cubic-foot) of stuff, 5 liters (0.17 cubic-foot) more than its predecessor. Load capacity increases to 1510 liters (53 cubic-foot) with the second-row of seats folded down.

Three petrol and three diesel units will be available for the 3-Series Touring range although not all markets will receive each one of these powertrains.

The petrol range kicks off with two four-cylinder units, starting with the 320i Touring with 184 hp and going up in power to 258 hp in the BMW 330i Touring. Sitting at the top of the petrol range is a six-cylinder with 374 hp found in the BMW M340i xDrive Touring. In terms of diesels, there are two four-cylinder units fitted into the 318d Touring and 320d Touring with 150 hp and 190 hp respectively. The range-topping six-cylinder diesel is found in the 330d xDrive Touring and pumps out 265 hp.

The aforementioned four-cylinder diesel models come standard with a six-speed manual transmission but can be optioned with an eight-speed Steptronic transmission. All other 3-Series Touring models come standard with this eight-speed.

The German automaker says the new 3-Series Touring will be much sportier than its predecessor, thanks in part to its low center of gravity and perfect 50-50 weight distribution. The rigidity of the car's body is up by around 25 per cent, new lift-related dampers come standard, and customers can opt M Sport suspension which drops the ride height by 10 mm. Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers are also available as are M Sport brakes with four-piston calipers at the front axle.

Trim levels available for the car consist of the Advantage, Sport Line, Luxury Line, and M Sport variants. The vehicle will be sold in Europe, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, and New Zealand and launch on September 28.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/2020-bmw-3-series-touring-striking-looks-with-added-practicality/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

My o my how you've grown

I think I like this better than the sedan but this thing is really a 5 with a 3 badge and price
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on June 12, 2019, 08:49:47 AM

That it is "dented" at the back annoys me a bit.
One of the nicer small features is the rear tail lights which would not be possible without that dent; but the dent is distracting.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

The design just makes it look really rear-heavy, without looking...svelte or aerodynamic?  Without even being loaded down with GEAR.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
The design just makes it look really rear-heavy, without looking...svelte or aerodynamic?  Without even being loaded down with GEAR.

Kind of like this

giant_mtb

Yeah, it just looks loaded without being...loaded.  Not a terrible look, but I'd hate to see one with a few hunnid pounds of rear passengers plus luggage.  Draggin'.  Does it has air suspension to level?  Frig.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2019, 08:20:28 PM
Yeah, it just looks loaded without being...loaded.  Not a terrible look, but I'd hate to see one with a few hunnid pounds of rear passengers plus luggage.  Draggin'.  Does it has air suspension to level?  Frig.

It's like what the redneck douche brahs around here do with their pickup trucks. I think they call it the "Carolina Squat".

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2019, 08:20:28 PM

No air suspension, but it does have an adaptive suspension.

2o6

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2019, 01:48:08 PM
Smart. No one would buy it.
Corpulent Americans prefer SUVs because they're easier to get in & out of.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

2o6

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 26, 2019, 07:56:32 AM
Corpulent Americans prefer SUVs because they're easier to get in & out of.

Idk why you act as if Europeans aren't also buying SUV's in increasing numbers