2020 Audi S8 Unveiled With 563 hp, Twin-Turbo V8

Started by cawimmer430, July 02, 2019, 08:31:06 AM

cawimmer430

Gorgeous interior.  :wub:

2020 Audi S8 Unveiled With 563 hp, Twin-Turbo V8

This is the 2020 Audi S8, unveiled as the range-topping variant in the A8 family which was updated two years ago. It looks very promising indeed.

The first thing to know about the new S8 is that it is powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8 engine with no less than 563 hp and 590 lb-ft (800 Nm) of torque. This engine isn't just powerful but it promises to be reasonably efficient as it incorporates Mild Hybrid technology with a 48-volt system which includes a stop-start function.

All of the S8's grunt is sent to the pavement through a Quattro all-wheel drive system with a sport differential. There is also an all-wheel steering system as standard to improve maneuverability at slow speeds and provide greater stability at higher speeds. Should customers wish, a set of carbon ceramic brakes are available with discs measuring 16.5-inch at the front and 14.6-inch at the rear.

While the Audi S8 is the fastest model in the S8 family, the company hasn't made it uncompromising in any way and fitted predictive active suspension as standard. This system limits body roll during hard cornering to just 2.5 degrees and in comfort mode, allows for up to 5 degrees of body roll. Audi's trick suspension technology can also raise and lower each wheel independently to provide the smoothest ride possible. Forward-facing cameras are also used to detect potholes and adjust the suspension pre-emptively.

The exterior design of the S8 is fitting of an S-badged Audi model and includes a slightly sportier nose, different wheels, unique badging, and quad tailpipes.

Inside you will find matte aluminum trim alongside diamond-stitched seats with embroidered S badging. There is also an upper inlay in the cabin made of Carbon Vector and as with some other Audi models, a touchscreen for the infotainment system, a touchscreen for the climate control functions, and the Audi Virtual Cockpit digital gauge cluster are all featured.

Audi has yet to release pricing or availability details for the S8 bound for the United States.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/2020-audi-s8-unveiled-with-563-hp-twin-turbo-v8/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

What is a "sport differential"? oh
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 03, 2019, 09:30:35 AM
That's an odd steering wheel

I didn't notice it before, but now that you point it out...I would agree it is indeed strange looking.  :hmm:

MrH

Not a big fan of screens replacing every button.  I liked their last gen interior better, with the virtual cockpit + pop up screen when you wanted it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

VWAG is entering the realm of no-sale for me with this all touch stuff. Though admittedly steering controls rectify a lot of the all touch nonsense.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2019, 11:23:46 AM
VWAG is entering the realm of no-sale for me with this all touch stuff. Though admittedly steering controls rectify a lot of the all touch nonsense.

Looks like it still has a physical volume knob in the center, but IMO, HVAC (at the minimum, temp control) should be real buttons, and it does not look like that's the case.

GoCougs

I think it's a stunner - it been the best of the luxo barges for some time.

In this day and age, touch controls are cheaper than physical controls, so here we are. IMO infotainment with a wheel/pad/joystick was DOA from a functional POV as well.

In the time I've spend in Teslas, between one-time settings, auto functionality (wipers, HVAC, headlights) and use the mobile app (pre heat/cool), it most def works better than MMI/iDrive/COMAND/etc., and is actually not bad.

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on July 03, 2019, 11:02:33 AM
Not a big fan of screens replacing every button.  I liked their last gen interior better, with the virtual cockpit + pop up screen when you wanted it.

You now have to buy the Bentley twin for that....

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on July 03, 2019, 11:02:33 AM

I think it depends on what is replaced via the touch screens. I can't speak for all new cars with digital cockpits, but on my new A250 the most important controls are still operated via buttons, including the A/C controls. Secondary and less important functions are controlled via the touch screen menu or via voice-control (MBUX). And in this case MB really did a great job on the ease of access and control, both in terms of buttons and touch screen or voice commands.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 03, 2019, 12:31:18 PM
voice commands.

Voice commands work somewhat ok if you are in the car alone. If not, you need to tell everyone to shut up to use the voice commands.