2020 BMW 3-Series Is A Jack Of Most Trades, Master Of Plenty

Started by cawimmer430, July 08, 2019, 07:31:12 AM

cawimmer430

2020 BMW 3-Series Is A Jack Of Most Trades, Master Of Plenty

The BMW 3-Series is considered, along with Merc's C-Class, the default choice in the premium compact sedan segment. That's because it's proven time and time again that it's a great all-rounder, and the all-new, seventh-gen, is better than ever.

From the updated exterior styling, which is more of an evolution of its predecessor, to the well-equipped interior, the latest 3-Series is more mature. In terms of space, it's average for a premium compact sedan, with 480 liters (17 cu-ft) of boot capacity and the ability to sit two people in comfort on the rear bench; three would be a crowd due to the tall transmission tunnel. Then again, interior space has never been the 3er's strong suit...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0Ld6kMsUk

The front seats are very comfortable and leather and soft-touch plastics cover just about every visible surface, so it retains that premium feel. The equipment level is not bad either, with the iDrive infotainment system being offered as standard on all grades along with ambient lighting, a reversing camera and parking sensors all around. However, getting the fully digital gauges means upgrading to the 330i M Sport range-topper, which is powered by a 258 PS (254 hp / 190 kW), 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder.

In terms of performance, the 330i M Sport, which was reviewed by CarsIreland, offers sufficient punch. The 8-speed automatic transmission is very smooth, and the adaptive suspension, which is part of the M Sport package, provides a perfect balance between comfort and sportiness.

Not everything about the 3-Series G20 is rosy, though. Apart from space, pricing is perhaps its biggest drawback, as it carries a €54,000 (~$61,000) sticker price in Ireland, which gets close to €60,000 (~$67,700) after adding some options.

The 330i won't remain the range-topping model for long, as next month, that role will be taken by the 340i xDrive, with a straight-six that pushes out 387 PS (382 hp / 285 kW), which in turn will be topped by the new M3 in mid-2020.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/2020-bmw-3-series-is-a-jack-of-most-trades-master-of-plenty/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Price on these is too much anymore for me to get interested.  A decently equipped 4 cylinder, AWD 3-series is $50k+ here now.  It's twice the price of the mainstreamers.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Many people agree with you... 3/4 series sales have fallen by damn near half in 5 years and the G20 hasn't turned things around

Even the F30 was meh. I still stand by my hot take that a 9th gen Accord was a better overall package than the non M-Sport ones, including dynamically. For me, at this point the only new BMWs worth buying are the 2 and the X1 through X4. I don't know what they can do to turn things around.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2019, 08:48:21 AM
Many people agree with you... 3/4 series sales have fallen by damn near half in 5 years and the G20 hasn't turned things around

Even the F30 was meh. I still stand by my hot take that a 9th gen Accord was a better overall package than the non M-Sport ones, including dynamically. For me, at this point the only new BMWs worth buying are the 2 and the X1 through X4. I don't know what they can do to turn things around.

Yeah, I'm with you on that.  I can actually see the value argument for the M2 Competition, oddly enough.  Some of the crossovers aren't a bad buy, but the 3 and 5 series?  Yikes.

Lieberman is convinced the 10th gen Accord is better dynamically than the 5-series.  I haven't driven the new 5-series, but that wouldn't surprise me.  Granted, it's FWD so it drives a bit different, but it's great.  Really stiff chassis, supple suspension.

Accord is 400 lbs lighter, bigger inside, faster by .5 seconds to 60 mph and the 1/4 mile, and maybe 1 mpg better gas mileage, similar features, and literally half the price.  I don't get why anyone would buy a new 5 series unless you're chasing the badge at this point.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2019, 08:48:21 AM

They are buying X3s instead, and the Margin on those is going to be higher.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on July 08, 2019, 09:13:24 AM
They are buying X3s instead, and the Margin on those is going to be higher.
Yea I meant to add that... 3/4 sales are down ~65K in the US... X1-X4 sales are up ~50K over the same period. So BMW is probably better off profit wise. It's just weird that the manufacturer known for the "ultimate driving machines" is a crossover company now. Even in the ///M space, dare I say I'd get the crossovers over the cars most of the time, if I had to get a new BMW at all :mask:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 08, 2019, 09:10:21 AM
Yeah, I'm with you on that.  I can actually see the value argument for the M2 Competition, oddly enough.  Some of the crossovers aren't a bad buy, but the 3 and 5 series?  Yikes.

Lieberman is convinced the 10th gen Accord is better dynamically than the 5-series.  I haven't driven the new 5-series, but that wouldn't surprise me.  Granted, it's FWD so it drives a bit different, but it's great.  Really stiff chassis, supple suspension.

Accord is 400 lbs lighter, bigger inside, faster by .5 seconds to 60 mph and the 1/4 mile, and maybe 1 mpg better gas mileage, similar features, and literally half the price.  I don't get why anyone would buy a new 5 series unless you're chasing the badge at this point.
I think a big part of it is how BMW "sells" cars. IIRC 3/4 of BMW's new sales come from leases... from what I'm seeing a 530i is cheaper to lease than an Accord Touring (and maybe even EX-L 2.0T). I'm personally not convinced but it doesn't seem that crazy from that point of view

r0tor

I think the X3 and X5 are most definitely their best products at the moment
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2019, 10:34:16 AM
Yea I meant to add that... 3/4 sales are down ~65K in the US... X1-X4 sales are up ~50K over the same period. So BMW is probably better off profit wise. It's just weird that the manufacturer known for the "ultimate driving machines" is a crossover company now. Even in the ///M space, dare I say I'd get the crossovers over the cars most of the time, if I had to get a new BMW at all :mask:

I mean, is the X3 actually a better car than the 3er? Or is it just more competitive in today's market? (Honest question - I haven't driven a 3er since the E90 and friends)

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2019, 10:49:50 AM
I think a big part of it is how BMW "sells" cars. IIRC 3/4 of BMW's new sales come from leases... from what I'm seeing a 530i is cheaper to lease than an Accord Touring (and maybe even EX-L 2.0T). I'm personally not convinced but it doesn't seem that crazy from that point of view

I can't see how that would be possible.  The sales price would almost be half as much on the Honda.  Money factor should be the same on these, unless BMW is taking a bath on the back end just to move cars (this is a possibility I guess?).  Residual should really favor the Honda too?  Not sure how much of a difference that ends up being.

If you're buying and factor in depreciation and maintenance/reliability costs, the Honda probably comes out to 1/3 the price.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

They take a good bit off the price ($5K in incentives), and base their residuals on retail prices rather than wholesale/trade in. So they probably eat $10K or so to lease. Of course Honda doesn't play that shit. Even with all that they still have decent margin for the sector

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 08, 2019, 01:02:17 PM
They take a good bit off the price ($5K in incentives), and base their residuals on retail prices rather than wholesale/trade in. So they probably eat $10K or so to lease. Of course Honda doesn't play that shit. Even with all that they still have decent margin for the sector

Yeah, that's true.  It's weird, they basically build their entire business around leasing.  My brother-in-law (soon to be ex BiL :lol:) works for BMW Financial.  I think inflated CPO prices help them out a bit, but overall, they lose a lot vs just selling I guess.

The lesson learned: never buy a BMW, lease I guess :huh:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

HurricaneSteve

Not a fan of modern BMW's. Even if they drove as well as they did in the 2000's, their styling has gone downhill big time.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on July 08, 2019, 11:10:40 AM
I think the X3 and X5 are most definitely their best products at the moment

Yes. Plus the X1 and X7 too.

Of the cars, the M5 and as mentioned above the M2 competition are great IMO.

Also the M4 has improved a lot over its lifetime and can be a solid discounted buy now nearing the end of its life.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

M5 is too big and too fast, at least in the US. 0-100MPH in <7 seconds

MrH

M5 is a segment that doesn't make much sense to me anymore.  Monstrously capable, but you would never actually take it to a track.  So what it's really getting you besides bragging rights over a 540i?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Hector takes his to a track. This n=1 trend is irrefutable
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

I think he uses the M5 to tow the GT4 or M....3? Not actually track it

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on July 09, 2019, 07:23:55 AM
M5 is a segment that doesn't make much sense to me anymore.  Monstrously capable, but you would never actually take it to a track.  So what it's really getting you besides bragging rights over a 540i?

M cars are just a different experience... Different suspension geometry, bushings, springs, shocks, diffs, electronics in addition to the power and sound

So you don't need to hit a track to feel the difference... and this is the largest reason I bought a Giulia because the base model actually has 90% of the feel of the quad.  It feels way more like an M car then a 3xxi in any trim
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

The power is still excessive. They almost need to incorporate a low power mode on the newest ///M cars. Cut power by like 20-30%; nail the throttle response; disconnect front diff (if equipped :facepalm: ) but retain stability control. Then you can "push" the car on a back road without going completely insane.

Also even in the ///M world there are problems... shouldn't have to wait for the Competition package for the cars to be sorted; that's supposed to be ///M's whole raison d'etre :facepalm:

veeman

I think what also needs to be taken into account in declining 3 series/5 series sales is the Tesla Model 3.  People who want an SUV will get an SUV.  People who would have otherwise gotten a 3 series or 5 series sedan, might instead have gotten a Tesla Model 3.  Especially in California.

AltinD

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 10, 2019, 12:39:39 PM
The power is still excessive. They almost need to incorporate a low power mode on the newest ///M cars.

Haven't they been doing exactly that for more than a decade? I remember an old Top Gear episode where the guys have to go through menus and options to release the full engine power. Don't remember if it was an M5 or M6, but it was the V10 engine era.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

BTW, is there still a 318i model with 3-cylinder 1.5L engine?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

BimmerM3

Quote from: AltinD on July 13, 2019, 04:17:04 AM
Haven't they been doing exactly that for more than a decade? I remember an old Top Gear episode where the guys have to go through menus and options to release the full engine power. Don't remember if it was an M5 or M6, but it was the V10 engine era.

I think it was both the M5 and M6 since they were the same powertrain, IIRC. There was a button on the steering wheel that increased it from 400 to 500hp.

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on July 13, 2019, 04:19:23 AM
BTW, is there still a 318i model with 3-cylinder 1.5L engine?

There is currently no "318i" model for the new G20 range.

The F30 318i was a 3-cylinder.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AltinD on July 13, 2019, 04:17:04 AM
I think they only did that for one generation

Quote from: veeman on July 10, 2019, 04:54:24 PM
I think what also needs to be taken into account in declining 3 series/5 series sales is the Tesla Model 3.  People who want an SUV will get an SUV.  People who would have otherwise gotten a 3 series or 5 series sedan, might instead have gotten a Tesla Model 3.  Especially in California.
I've heard this suggested a few times but haven't really seen anything to suggest that 3 series buyers are all moving to Tesla instead of, for example, BMW crossovers.

Same theory was proposed for the Civic/Accord. Overall sales for various  brands are flat so while Tesla is getting conquest sales the analysis of their impact seems to hinge on a lot of double dipping. I.e. 1 Model 3 sale took 1 sale away from BMW, Honda, Toyota etc....

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 13, 2019, 09:31:28 AM
I think it was both the M5 and M6 since they were the same powertrain, IIRC. There was a button on the steering wheel that increased it from 400 to 500hp.

My car has that button. It's the only generation that actually changes power and not only throttle response.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 09, 2019, 11:43:57 AM
I think he uses the M5 to tow the GT4 or M....3? Not actually track it

I don't tow my cars. If I did the X5 would be able to.

My M5 is my executive express shinkansen for long highway drives with boss level power for my 400km drives between Mexico City and Leon.

Consider that I can regularly hit triple digit speeds on those drives and the M5 starts making a lot more sense.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 13, 2019, 10:53:26 AM

I've heard this suggested a few times but haven't really seen anything to suggest that 3 series buyers are all moving to Tesla instead of, for example, BMW crossovers.

Same theory was proposed for the Civic/Accord. Overall sales for various  brands are flat so while Tesla is getting conquest sales the analysis of their impact seems to hinge on a lot of double dipping. I.e. 1 Model 3 sale took 1 sale away from BMW, Honda, Toyota etc....

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/08/tesla-model-3-completely-crushing-us-luxury-car-competition-10-cleantechnica-charts/

The above is just for 2018.

I agree that all premium small and midsize luxury sedan makes are suffering because of Tesla, not just BMW. I just don't see someone contemplating a 4 cylinder base Camcord, which is the majority of Camcord sales, switching over to a Tesla Model 3 costing twice as much. 

BMW 3 series/5 series decline I think has to do with clunky styling (which people have mentioned), uptick in cost, no longer thought of as the ultimate driving machine, switch to SUVs, and emergence of Tesla Model 3.