2018 Kia Stinger GT

Started by Payman, January 08, 2017, 11:15:56 AM

Payman

Holy shit, cool car with a cool name. Poor man's Alfa Giulia?  :wub:

From Jalopnik:

The Kia GT4 Stinger concept from 2014 was the concept car you wished was real, and it lives—it lives quite wonderfully. The production version naturally isn't as wild as that concept looked, but it does have a bit more power. Say hello to the Kia Stinger GT, Kia's new rear-wheel-drive sedan with 365 horsepower.

There were teases of the new Stinger GT in the month or so before this week's Detroit Auto Show, but it'll finally be on the floor for everyone to get a good look on Monday. The sauce will come from a 3.3 liter, twin-turbo V6, and it'll also have 376 lb-ft of torque. Its zero-to-60 time will also apparently be 5.1 seconds.

What's hard to believe here is that this thing is a Kia. The styling and power behind this thing are reminiscent of higher-end manufacturers like BMW or Audi, but here we are, dropping our jaws over a Kia.

But let's get to the sad part here. The car will have an eight-speed automatic transmission, with no manual option. Granted, fewer and fewer new sport sedans these days have those, but it's still a bummer.

To help you move on from that hit, here are photos of the Stinger GT in all of its wonderful glory:

2o6

Sexy, but I don't see it succeeding in any sort of scale.

Eye of the Tiger

Not with the Kia name. 'Murricans still think Kias are little shit boxes, and the people who know better still want to impress the people who don't know better. Also, autotragic.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on January 08, 2017, 11:19:01 AM
Sexy, but I don't see it succeeding in any sort of scale.

Obviously that'll depend on price, which we don't know yet.

Edit: Looks like high 30's-mid 40's. That's a lot of good looking and reliable RWD sport sedan for those who can accept it's a Kia. I'm definitely checking one out.

cawimmer430

This is beautiful inside and out. It actually looks very British (Jaguarish:ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 08, 2017, 11:48:31 AM
This is beautiful inside and out. It actually looks very British (Jaguarish:ohyeah:

Definitely Jag in profile.

cawimmer430

Kia and Hyundai have really impressed me in the last few years.

I stumbled upon a Kia dealership during one of my fitness walks and saw a fully-loaded Kia Optima Wagon Diesel for sale for less than 20,000 Euros. The value-for-money is incredible, and it's not a bad looking car at all. If someone gave me one I wouldn't say no to it.

Before clicking on this thread I assumed the Stinger GT would be Kia Pro C'eed GT that had been federalized for the US. This is a Kia Pro C'eed GT below. And yeah, they look amazing.  :mrcool:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Northlands

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 08, 2017, 12:05:14 PM
Kia and Hyundai have really impressed me in the last few years.

I stumbled upon a Kia dealership during one of my fitness walks and saw a fully-loaded Kia Optima Wagon Diesel for sale for less than 20,000 Euros. The value-for-money is incredible, and it's not a bad looking car at all. If someone gave me one I wouldn't say no to it.

Before clicking on this thread I assumed the Stinger GT would be Kia Pro C'eed GT that had been federalized for the US. This is a Kia Pro C'eed GT below. And yeah, they look amazing.  :mrcool:

Wow.

I would have bought an Optima wagon last year, had I the choice. I ended up getting a 2015 Sonata last March and have been happy with it since. A Kia/Hyundai wagon offering in the size would have been a no brainer for me.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Galaxy

That is indeed sharp looking

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on January 08, 2017, 11:15:56 AM
Holy shit, cool car with a cool name. Poor man's Alfa Giulia?  :wub:

Nice profile.

Never liked the grille design of Kia; though the similar design of the Skoda grille looks very nice.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Northlands on January 08, 2017, 12:26:04 PM
Wow.

I would have bought an Optima wagon last year, had I the choice. I ended up getting a 2015 Sonata last March and have been happy with it since. A Kia/Hyundai wagon offering in the size would have been a no brainer for me.

Wait, they sell the Optima Wagon in North America!?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

Cookie Monster

Damn, that is a sharp looking car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Northlands

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 08, 2017, 12:58:10 PM
Wait, they sell the Optima Wagon in North America!?

Nope. If the choice was there, I would have went for it though.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

cawimmer430

I liked the Optima Wagon as well. Great value-for-money and you get a fully-loaded BMW 5-Series / MB E-Class sized car for little money. Although I wouldn't need all the features - hence my theoretical Kia Optima Wagon would be even cheaper!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 08, 2017, 01:20:40 PM
I liked the Optima Wagon as well. Great value-for-money and you get a fully-loaded BMW 5-Series / MB E-Class sized car for little money. Although I wouldn't need all the features - hence my theoretical Kia Optima Wagon would be even cheaper!  :lol:

You want Value For Money™? Look at Versa S™. Full-sized-wagon-esque space in a subcompact sedan™. Now with a standard four speaker stereo and power mirrors.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2017, 01:23:47 PM
You want Value For Money™? Look at Versa S™. Full-sized-wagon-esque space in a subcompact sedan™. Now with a standard four speaker stereo and power mirrors.

OMG. Hot.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on January 08, 2017, 01:31:29 PM
Looks like a dog dragging its arse across the carpet.

:lol:

As with most Japanese brands, I feel their design heydays were in the '60s and '70s, and some in the early/late '80s. You guys know me, I like weird cars which nobody likes.  :tounge:

My favorite Nissan of all time isn't a GT-R or a Skyline, it's the Cedric sedans which I feel are elegant and simple.  :wub:

I also have a thing for the first and second generation Toyota Celica, but my true love is the 1987-1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon Hardtop (GS131). Very elegant car. IMO it would have made interesting Lexus LS.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Looks really good, though it looks a LOT like an Optima. Maybe a little too much. I think that's what's going to kill it more than anything else. Price is a little high too. Chargers start at $28K, and they might be moving to the Giulia platform next go round.

If that 3.3T is the base engine though it's a pretty good deal.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2017, 02:38:06 PM
Looks really good, though it looks a LOT like an Optima. Maybe a little too much. I think that's what's going to kill it more than anything else. Price is a little high too. Chargers start at $28K, and they might be moving to the Giulia platform next go round.

If that 3.3T is the base engine though it's a pretty good deal.

The Optima's strongest suit is its styling, and the only cues they share is the grille and C-pillar design. Maybe you mean it looks too much like a lower priced car? Like a 7 series resembles a 3 series?  :huh:

MX793

I, for one, am disappointed.  When I saw Stinger GT, I thought Kia was building this:

The sedan is cool and all, but they should have called it something else.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on January 08, 2017, 02:41:45 PM
The Optima's strongest suit is its styling, and the only cues they share is the grille and C-pillar design. Maybe you mean it looks too much like a lower priced car? Like a 7 series resembles a 3 series?  :huh:

Brah, come on.

I don't think it's unreasonable for automotive civilians to confuse these two cars. It goes well beyond the C-pillar. This is a similar situation to the Chevy SS/last gen Malibu. Too close for comfort.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

A $40k Kia sports sedan? Yeah, hard pass.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2017, 03:21:45 PM
Brah, come on.

I don't think it's unreasonable for automotive civilians to confuse these two cars. It goes well beyond the C-pillar. This is a similar situation to the Chevy SS/last gen Malibu. Too close for comfort.
Yeah! 99% of non car guys won't be able to tell them apart....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Payman

Quote from: MrH on January 08, 2017, 04:33:30 PM
A $40k Kia sports sedan? Yeah, hard pass.

Legit comment, given your Genesis experience. Still want to check one out though.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 08, 2017, 03:21:45 PM
Brah, come on.

Familial similarities, to be expected. It's hard to tell an A4 from an A6 to the untrained eye. Same with the Bimmers.

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 08, 2017, 04:44:12 PM
Yeah! 99% of non car guys won't be able to tell them apart....

Even some car guys will likely need a double take to tell the difference if they pass one on the street.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5