2018 Kia Stinger GT

Started by Payman, January 08, 2017, 11:15:56 AM

Payman

I don't think too many people will mistake this for an Optima, unless they only see it side on from 50 feet away. Those that do surely couldn't tell an A4 from an A6 or a 3-series from a 5.

MX793

Well, much like the latest Camaro, if I see one zipping by in the oncoming lane on the highway, I have trouble telling from just a glance that's it's a 6th gen vs a 5th gen, and I suspect this will be similar with the Optima.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Anyways it's a silly complaint. The Optima is well regarded for its design, and the Stinger looks upscale from that, so everything is as it should be.

68_427

power liftgate with small trunk like the 5er GT

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

Looks good, sounds exciting, will probably drive like shit.  I don't think Kia/Hyundai has successfully nailed chassis tuning in any of their product yet and it ultimately turns out to be a better looker than a driver.  The lack of a manual is probably for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich

I think Kia would have had better sales/profit if they'd made an SUV on this platform.  Something with wide flares and raked back glass

I saw a headline yesterday saying large sedans took a giant dump this year in sales.  a 4,200lb automatic only big sedan with 5.1 to 60 doesn't rustle my jimmies.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Looks great, but I don't think I could get over the Kia name.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

From Evo:

QuotePeak power is 365bhp, with 376lb ft of torque available from just 1300rpm. The 0-62mph time is 5.1 seconds, which is Kia's best to date by a clear margin, but in a world of sub-four second hot hatches it's brisk rather than blistering. At more than 1900kg the Stinger GT is certainly no flyweight.

4200lbs
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Re: Familial resemblance

It's OK when a cheaper car is made to look like a more expensive car. Here, Kia has done the opposite. They should have introduced a new design language with this thing, and then made the next Optima look like it. Or just keep it separate so people don't confuse the two. It's too close for comfort.

Re: Size/weight

I think the automotive press has it wrong. They see the price and are comparing it to 3s and the like. But with that curb weight and big liftback, this thing is pretty obviously a Korean A7/6 Gran Coupe. From that POV it becomes a much more interesting proposition. Most of the 3 fighters are a tight fit for families, but this will probably be able to work for anybody.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Families aren't looking for a cheap competitor to the A7s and 6 Gran Coupes of the world. CRV crushes this thing in terms of a practical vehicle for a family.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on January 09, 2017, 06:51:38 AM
Families aren't looking for a cheap competitor to the A7s and 6 Gran Coupes of the world. CRV crushes this thing in terms of a practical vehicle for a family.
Families are usually good with 1 crossover and 1 sedan... this obviously wouldn't be a main family vehicle, just as an Optima or Camry or 3 series or w/e isn't. But this is way more usable for a family than say, an ATS.

SJ_GTI

Its a nice looking car but bigger than I personally would like. If I was getting something this big I would just go with the Chevy SS. More power, full size space inside, and I believe its lighter too.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2017, 03:08:34 AM
Looks great, but I don't think I could get over the Kia name.

Then experience of going to a Kia dealership is like visiting a really shitty Walmart... Should only be done as a last resort
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

In previous times I totally scoffed at the "dealership experience" thing. Now, via the Infiniti, I'm totally into it. Sure, I pay for it but it's worth it, particularly the no-hassle service loaners and non-Walmart feel to the process and people.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 09, 2017, 06:11:10 AM
Re: Familial resemblance

It's OK when a cheaper car is made to look like a more expensive car. Here, Kia has done the opposite. They should have introduced a new design language with this thing, and then made the next Optima look like it. Or just keep it separate so people don't confuse the two. It's too close for comfort.

Re: Size/weight

I think the automotive press has it wrong. They see the price and are comparing it to 3s and the like. But with that curb weight and big liftback, this thing is pretty obviously a Korean A7/6 Gran Coupe. From that POV it becomes a much more interesting proposition. Most of the 3 fighters are a tight fit for families, but this will probably be able to work for anybody.

They're probably picking the competition based on its price and sporty positioning. Otherwise, it would be like a TLX/ES350/MKZ type of vehicle: an entry-luxury midsize sedan, against the 3 Series et al compacts.

Vinsanity

Man I wish this came out 3 years ago. Looks like the perfect car for me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 09, 2017, 07:54:38 AM
Its a nice looking car but bigger than I personally would like. If I was getting something this big I would just go with the Chevy SS. More power, full size space inside, and I believe its lighter too.
YUP.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on January 09, 2017, 09:06:54 AM
Then experience of going to a Kia dealership is like visiting a really shitty Walmart... Should only be done as a last resort

I can only imagine.  But I do like this. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

That video is promising. Looks a lot less like an optima in motion

SJ_GTI

Looks even better in "real life" pictures. It looks a bit smaller than I originally thought as well.

I have to admit I didn't read the press release...does one of those cars have an "AWD" badge on the back? I thought this was supposed to be RWD. I assume the AWD is optional...but I would guess the take rate on the AWD will be something like ~90% or more.

68_427

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 10, 2017, 06:32:24 AM
Looks even better in "real life" pictures. It looks a bit smaller than I originally thought as well.

I have to admit I didn't read the press release...does one of those cars have an "AWD" badge on the back? I thought this was supposed to be RWD. I assume the AWD is optional...but I would guess the take rate on the AWD will be something like ~90% or more.

AWD is optional, and rumor is the base engine will be a 2.0T I think?
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

2.0T is definitely coming in 2018... I haven't heard about AWD but Kia would be stupid not to offer that. Fuck this thing's gonna be a pig though, 4000+lbs in V6 AWD trim easily

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 10, 2017, 06:51:26 AM
2.0T is definitely coming in 2018... I haven't heard about AWD but Kia would be stupid not to offer that. Fuck this thing's gonna be a pig though, 4000+lbs in V6 AWD trim easily

4200lbs to be exact
'racecar is die'
no

Galaxy

Quote from: Xer0 on January 08, 2017, 11:11:40 PM
Looks good, sounds exciting, will probably drive like shit.  I don't think Kia/Hyundai has successfully nailed chassis tuning in any of their product yet and it ultimately turns out to be a better looker than a driver.  The lack of a manual is probably for the best.

Kia/Hyundai snatched Albert Biermann from BMW in April 2015, who was Head of Development for the M cars. Maybe he can improve them.

12,000 RPM

Atomic

A winner in my books! Looking to update my "profile" car pic and with recently acquired iPhone and iPad being programmed over the weekend; the choice among new options leaves deciding upon a single model tough. But, will likely select one of the two vehicles I own or some type of Volvo.

Atomic

The Press / Varied Sources
January 21st, 2017

DETROIT • Automotive News, 01.20.2017 • Kia made the 2017 Detroit auto show a platform to showcase the Stinger, aiming to add some thrill to its lineup and challenge European luxury automakers. The 2018 Kia Stinger's wheelbase is longer than many in the compact sport sedan class dominated by some of the most recognizable -- and copied -- names in the industry, including the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe, the Audi A4 and the Mercedes C-class and CLS. The Stinger is quite a departure for the Korean brand, leaving much to be discussed among the automotive press. Here's what people are saying about the 2018 Kia Stinger. -- AN

"While Kia has always had some pretty sleek designs, it's more of a mass-market manufacturer. It's great at churning out cars that look good and have great value, but offer little excitement behind the wheel. The Stinger changes that up with a fastback-style sedan that's easily the sportiest production car the Korean manufacturer has ever built."

-- Andrew Krok, Roadshow by CNET

"Kia has said for years that it would build a rear wheel drive sedan, and now it's doubling down on its promise. The GT4 Stinger concept graced the Detroit stage three years ago, but then seemed to fade away. Kia's current top-selling model is the Soul, a boxy and quirky crossover. And while a Stinger isn't going to cut into the crossover market, it could get Kia the brand respect it desires. In the world of sports cars, the sting is usually associated with the iconic Corvette Stingray, certainly not Kia. But the game and how its players maneuver is changing at this auto show where news and practical production giants loom large. Kia offers welcome reprieve, a car that we haven't seen before that has looks and personality, like car shows of days past. We care about the tech inside of car, but we have to admit, it's fun to see a car that has some oomph to it."

-- Tamara Warren, The Verge

"What's hard to believe here is that this thing is a Kia. The styling and power behind this thing are reminiscent of higher-end manufacturers like BMW or Audi, but here we are, dropping our jaws over a Kia. But let's get to the sad part here. The car will have an eight-speed automatic transmission, with no manual option. Granted, fewer and fewer new sport sedans these days have those, but it's still a bummer."

-- Alanis King, Jalopnik

"It looks like a Maserati and will go like a BMW, especially as the handling was honed on the Nurburgring, the cathedral of European sports cars. If there's one problem with the Stinger, it's that I fear nobody will buy one. Such impressive performance and features are sure to account for a sticker price north of $40,000, and I'm still not sure if the car-buying public is ready to drop that kind of coin on a Korean sports sedan.

Then again, the Genesis G80 has done well for itself, so I could very well be wrong. For a car like this, I sincerely hope that's the case."

-- Brian Leon, New York Daily News

"Stinger retains Kia's tiger-shark nose with the familiar grille and a long nose. It builds out from there with wide wheel arches, air intakes in front and with 'gills' behind the front wheels, a wide stance and long wheelbase that gives the rear-wheel-drive sedan muscle car proportions. Quad exhaust pipes add to the sporting appeal."

-- Robert Duffer, Chicago Tribune

"Nobody expected Kia to actually make the GT Concept we'd seen a couple of years ago, but here it is — in all its Germanic rear-wheel-drive, turbocharged, sports sedan glory. The interior is dynamite as well, with all the style of the Alfa Romeo Giulia but added room, refinement and material quality that betters the last Audi A4 I sampled. Priced right, this thing could be a serious contender for Kia... although it does make one wonder why Kia is making a car that should have gone to the Genesis luxury brand instead."

-- Aaron Bragman, Cars.com

"Good timing, Stinger. Big Three muscle mostly sat out this year's show, giving the Nurburgring-tested, five-door Kia coupe the performance spotlight. First shown as the stunning Kia GT concept in Europe in 2011, the Stinger makes a statement of Kia's intentions to be more than a builder of mainstream appliances. 'This is a Kia brand that surprises and challenges,' says design boss Peter Schreyer. The same length as its doppelganger — the $70,000 Audi A7 — Kia says the Stinger will be targeted at the $40,000 BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-class."

-- Henry Payne, The Detroit News

"The design certainly is aggressive; it is the work of Kia's European design studio in Frankfurt. Up front, there's the brand's familiar 'tiger nose' grille, but behind that, the low stance and muscular proportions effectively distinguish the Stinger from anything else the company has produced. Buyers will be able to have fun by getting their buddies to guess the brand of their new car when seen in profile. There's something distinctly Alfa Romeo–ish about the rear end's small, high-mounted taillights as well as the quad tailpipes on the V-6 GT model. LED lighting is standard front and rear."

-- Mike Duff, Car and Driver

Atomic

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 09, 2017, 07:54:38 AM

About to post some disparaging news about that "SS", note thread within section dated January 21, 2017.