Honda CR-V

Started by Morris Minor, January 27, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2018, 03:19:46 PM
The Subaru does this when it's raining really hard or the windshield is dirty or fogged. Basically the measurements from the safety sensors aren't reliable enough to be useful/safe.
Not sure what's used for what on the CR-V but there's the center-high one on the windshield (swept by the wipers) and there's a lidar (guessing) on the grille just below the Honda "H"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Pretty sure we have the exact same system.

Cameras up by the rear view mirror are for lane keep assist (it's visually tracking the lane markers). The radar in the grill is tracking the distance of the car in front for active cruise control and emergency braking.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

The CR-V intervened when I was on my way home yesterday in the rush hour. I was cruising along at about 45 when someone a couple of cars ahead jumped left into the lane and caused emergency braking by all concerned. I jammed on the brakes in a "Fuuuuck!!!" moment but the Honda did not think I'd jammed them on hard enough. The anchors came on ultra hard and stopped me a few feet from the car in front. It was a weird to feel the brake pedal mash down under my already-mashing (I'd thought) foot.

I braced myself for the rear impact but it never came. The truck two cars behind had to mount the median to avoid impact with the lady behind me.

I'm guessing the perpetrator had no idea what they'd done: the fog of stupidity.

Anyway, I was impressed,

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 28, 2019, 12:04:59 PM
The CR-V intervened when I was on my way home yesterday in the rush hour. I was cruising along at about 45 when someone a couple of cars ahead jumped left into the lane and caused emergency braking by all concerned. I jammed on the brakes in a "Fuuuuck!!!" moment but the Honda did not think I'd jammed them on hard enough. The anchors came on ultra hard and stopped me a few feet from the car in front. It was a weird to feel the brake pedal mash down under my already-mashing (I'd thought) foot.

I braced myself for the rear impact but it never came. The truck two cars behind had to mount the median to avoid impact with the lady behind me.

I'm guessing the perpetrator had no idea what they'd done: the fog of stupidity.

Anyway, I was impressed,

They should program those systems to honk and flash the lights upon hard emergency braking. :lol:
Will

r0tor

Something like 90% of people never hit the brakes hard enough in a panic stop... ///M School advice was "attempt to snap the brake pedal off"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 28, 2019, 04:44:18 PM
Something like 90% of people never hit the brakes hard enough in a panic stop... ///M School advice was "attempt to snap the brake pedal off"

That's why I've been rear ended 3 times, and counting ...

edit: 4 times. I forgot one.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on February 28, 2019, 04:44:18 PM
Yup - that's the advice my kids got in advanced driving school.
Q: You're on the highway and a refrigerator falls off a truck in front of you. What do you do?
A: Try to break off the brake pedal. Try to steer around it. Let ABS & stability control do their thing.

CaminoRacer

I don't have ABS and normally brake too hard. I'm lucky I haven't flat spotted any tires.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

ABS on the KIA sucks. I don't trust it. The back gets squirrelly

Does need new brakes, fluid and tires all around though so :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

The beauty of the brake by wire system in the Giulia is it will make sure damn sure you hit 100% full brake potential pretty much instantly under an emergency stop... It's like deploying Krazy glue
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CALL_911

Thing is, the hard part about Alfa ownership is getting it going

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Hey now, Alfa engines don't feature the Honda self destruct design