Honda CR-V

Started by Morris Minor, January 27, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on February 02, 2018, 11:36:13 AM
In Georgia?
We have some in how neighboring state. It gets frosty in the mornings
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

This thing feels sure footed & planted considering how high it sits - more fun than the Mercedes that flopped with body flex.
Noticing the torquey little engine too; it has no problem on the hills & curves (I saw they're putting it in the Accord.)
I'm really happy with the window film on the front doors - it's 40%, so lets through a tad more light than the usual 35% but it still blocks all the UV & heat. Looks better from the outside IMO.

On a psychological note: what sold the car to my wife, who had been meh about the whole thing, was when she sat in it for the first time. The pleasant interior sealed the deal.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

12,000 RPM

That interior punches above its weight class for sure. Puts the regular mainstream interior champs (VW and Kia) to shame.

Morris Minor

Wow, when it's cold, this engine sounds like a bag of old rusty nails from the outside. All that DI clatter, like an old London diesel taxi.

Submariner

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 07, 2018, 10:04:44 AM
Wow, when it's cold, this engine sounds like a bag of old rusty nails from the outside. All that DI clatter, like an old London diesel taxi.

Shoulda got one of those SL's I posted.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

Welcome to the modern ICE Euro-6 compliant widget.

Xer0

IIRC, you live in/by Atlanta right?  How cold can it possibly get?

shp4man

Sometimes with new vehicles, people get fixated on some oddball characteristic a vehicle has, and get terrified they got a lemon. Seen it a million times. The "fix" is hearing another one with the same powertrain on cold start. If the 2nd one is the same, then skip merrily along into Honda owner Nirvana.  ;)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on February 07, 2018, 11:46:40 AM
IIRC, you live in/by Atlanta right?  How cold can it possibly get?
It gets cold down here man. We had a stretch in the teens that lasted a couple of weeks. Plus human cold <> engine cold.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 07, 2018, 11:23:09 AM
Welcome to the modern ICE Euro-6 compliant widget.
Yep. I hear it in the BMW fours too.

Laconian

Good to know the Subaru isn't the only tractor out there. Tacka tacka tacka tacka tacka tacka
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 07, 2018, 11:59:43 AM
It gets cold down here man. We had a stretch in the teens that lasted a couple of weeks. Plus human cold <> engine cold.

Cold with no snow is a miserable way to live.

GoCougs

Is this within the first 30-40 seconds or so, and then it disappears?

The G does this as well. I can't find a good source explaining what is happening, but speculation is the ECU plays around with timing and/or firing order to speed the warm up process.

giant_mtb

All engines sound different when they're nice and cold.  Welcome to winter. :huh:

2o6

It's also probably got really light 0w oil in it too

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on February 07, 2018, 05:18:45 PM
It's also probably got really light 0w oil in it too

Probably. I'd bet 99% of new cars do.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 07, 2018, 07:37:05 PM
Probably. I'd bet 99% of new cars do.

Last time I bought oil I saw there was some crazy 20k mile oil from Mobil 1.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on February 07, 2018, 02:40:38 PM
Good to know the Subaru isn't the only tractor out there. Tacka tacka tacka tacka tacka tacka
The Mazda3 rental I had sounded pretty agricultural at idle too :mask:

It still kind of depresses me that uncorked BMW I6s sound like school buses now.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 07, 2018, 02:40:38 PM

:wub:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 07, 2018, 04:32:05 PM
All engines sound different when they're nice and cold.  Welcome to winter. :huh:

+5

Plus the suspension squeaks and is rough.
Will

2o6

0w oil, GDI, and cold metal means the car will likely sound bad until warm.

Modern cars in Ohio sound like absolute ass below freezing.

Morris Minor

Still liking the CR-V. Learned that the cabin has active noise cancellation. It does seem pretty quiet.
They put that in all through the range from the base LX upwards.

Morris Minor

Three weeks in. Random thoughts:

• Did a tankful-to-tankful MPG check and it came to 28.1.
  • 11 gallons of regular is $8.00 cheaper than 11 gal of premium at the gas station down the road. It's nice not to need premium.
  • We've still not figured out all the goodies of the infotainment system.
  • It's a delight to drive on the curvy hilly roads - solid & well planted.
  • The engine is a gem: pulls like a steam locomotive.
  • If you love CVTs, this one is a standout among CVTs. I'd prefer a modern discreet ratio slushbox.
  • Shut lines, panel gaps and panel alignment get a B+ vs A+ for the late Mercedes.
  • The reversing lights are the only incandescents in the tail light clusters - why?
  • The cross traffic alert on the rear camera is a godsend.
  • I love the dynamic cruise control. Weird to glue on to the car in front; accelerate, brake, and stop in unison.
  • Not so sure about the lane keep assist - I think that should be reserved for highways.
  • Tank capacity is a meager 12 gal. 15 would be more like it.

12,000 RPM

Glad to hear you like it. Personally I am a fan of CVTs on the street. When they are fed adequate power for the application and programmed well they really get it done. The CVTs in the last Accord and current Maxima were awesome. But that's a small niggle.

giant_mtb

12 gal?  Huh, that is pretty small, but if you're getting 28mpg (300+ miles per tank) that's not too bad. 

Lebowski

12 gallon is pretty damn small.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on February 17, 2018, 09:20:28 AM
12 gallon is pretty damn small.

Much sacrifice had to be made. The CRV is clearly a piece of junk for poors.

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 17, 2018, 09:32:29 AM

Much sacrifice had to be made. The CRV is clearly a piece of junk for

I may have to rethink my entire opinion of the CRV. I didn't realize the tank was so small.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on February 17, 2018, 09:49:51 AM

I may have to rethink my entire opinion of the CRV. I didn't realize the tank was so small.

Meh, 300 miles of cruising on the highway is usually a good time to take a break anyways.

Could be like me...I have a 17.X gallon tank and am lucky if I get 250 miles before needing a refill.