Nissan Kicks, 2o6 Review

Started by 2o6, August 12, 2018, 03:27:50 PM

2o6

It was a boring, lazy Sunday. So I decided to go to the Nissan dealer to look at something Millennial oriented.

This car is a replacement for the Juke, and like the Ford Ecosport, it was primarily designed for "developing markets" like Brazil and India. It's made on a cheaper platform than European Nissans, and overall is essentially an SUV styled Versa.

+ despite only having 125HP, the Kicks is very light so real world performance is actually pretty fine.

+ the CVT automatic feels like the ECU has a fuel cut when it's fake "shifting". Instead of feeling clearly fake and syrupy like most Nissans I've driven that do this, I don't think many customers would realize it's a CVT auto

+ loads of standard features for a very low price (this car stickerd for under 21k!) and has android auto, blind spot monitoring, auto braking, etc

+ it's roomy and has a real trunk, something the Juke didn't have

+ visibility is good

+ lots of customization options (colored roofs, different wheels)

Negatives

- automatic only

- the ride is bumpy and busy. The C-HR has a multilink setup in the back and handles and rides better

- the steering has no feel whatsoever

- the Juke was quirky and compromised, but fast and fun. The Kicks has no personality to drive. It's wholly uninteresting at best.

- it's an "SUV" but like the C-HR, AWD isn't even an option. They want you to step up to the Rogue Sport/Qashqai

- I have a hard time swallowing the fact that this essentially is a Versa note for double the cost.

AutobahnSHO

I drove a Murano for almost a week before realizing it was a CVT.

- I have a hard time swallowing the fact that this essentially is a Versa note for double the cost.

Buyers don't care. They don't research. They just know it looks not like a Versa note. Same with most of your other "-" notes.
Will

Laconian

The CX3 and the HRV charge big premiums over their donor cars. Par for the course in this segment, I'm afraid.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

But, is this better than the Eco-shit Ford is peddling?

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on August 13, 2018, 07:33:01 AM
But, is this better than the Eco-shit Ford is peddling?

Light years. And it's cheaper.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2018, 02:02:09 PM
Light years. And it’s cheaper.

Like Teresa May is "light years" hotter than Margaret Thatcher.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on August 13, 2018, 02:33:59 PM
Like Teresa May is "light years" hotter than Margaret Thatcher.

LOL.

As it stands, if someone was looking for a feature packed cheap car with decent room and good economy, a Kicks wouldn't be so bad. Especially since Nissan will finance anything wth a pulse.

You can do worse.

Payman

If I was forced under threat of castration by garden shears, I'd go with the CX-3, because it's the only one I can stomach to look at, and I love Mazda interiors.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on August 13, 2018, 02:54:14 PM
If I was forced under threat of castration by garden shears, I'd go with the CX-3, because it's the only one I can stomach to look at, and I love Mazda interiors.

The CX-3 is way more expensive though.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2018, 03:04:47 PM
The CX-3 is way more expensive though.

At the upper end of the scale sure, but it's the one I'd go with.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on August 13, 2018, 03:07:56 PM
At the upper end of the scale sure, but it's the one I'd go with.

Base to base, the Kicks is like $2500 cheaper

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2018, 03:16:10 PM

Base to base, the Kicks is like $2500 cheaper

$2500 well spent.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on August 13, 2018, 03:21:50 PM
$2500 well spent.

Is it? I've driven both, although the CX-3 is nicer, it has a really tiny interior and trunk, and I don't think it's $2500 nicer.

Also, holy shit! In Canada, that berth widens to 5k CDN difference between a base manual Cx-3 and base automatic Kicks.

93JC

Save the fact the Kicks has an 'automatic' transmission and it's an option on the CX-3, I'm pretty sure the base CX-3 GX comes about as well-equipped as the top-of-the-line Kicks SR... :huh:

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2018, 03:35:03 PM

Is it? I’ve driven both, although the CX-3 is nicer, it has a really tiny interior and trunk, and I don’t think it’s $2500 nicer.

Also, holy shit! In Canada, that berth widens to 5k CDN difference between a base manual Cx-3 and base automatic Kicks.

You're comparing a new 2019 CX-3 with a "Nissan Sell-Off Event" 2018 Kicks. Still, heckuva deal.

Laconian

Nissan Get This Shit Outta Here Red Tag Sales Event!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

No ConservativeSPIN, it's crazy that we are getting these third world cars. I don't know if it's indicative of the progress made in car design/manufacturing that these "developing market" vehicles are acceptable here, or indicative of something more sinister in the American economy. Maybe a mix of both. Either way I want no parts of this
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
No ConservativeSPIN, it's crazy that we are getting these third world cars. I don't know if it's indicative of the progress made in car design/manufacturing that these "developing market" vehicles are acceptable here, or indicative of something more sinister in the American economy. Maybe a mix of both. Either way I want no parts of this

Both.

To be fair, the Kicks is actually isnt bad.