Toyota Corolla Hatchback, 2o6 review

Started by 2o6, September 13, 2018, 12:03:15 PM

2o6

I have too much time on my hands. I decided to go look at a new 2019 Corolla.

+ the interior feels well finished. Everything feels high quality and tight.

+the engine and transmission combo feel speedy and responsive

+ it handles pretty good

+ It looks good too

+ I appreciate the dedication to offering a manual hatchback offered on both the base (but well equipped) SE, as well as the XSE. Many automakers are ending this type of car.

+ quiet interior

+ attractive pricing (SE model)

- the steering is mediocre. It's not bad, like Corollas past, but it's not the most engaging setup either.

- the shifter is mediocre.

- the driving position is weird, it took me a split ten minutes to get comfortable. The dashboard is high, the gauges are low, and it feels like the steering column doesn't adjust enough. When I did get comfortable, it was ok.

- an XSE is nearly 30k

- Corollas used to be known for having large interiors for their class. This has a small interior. No back seat, and the trunk is shallow. Under the false floor is the spare tire well, so not much room for expansion. I'm only 5'9, and the rear legroom behind the drivers seat actually felt like less than my Chevy Sonic.

- the Civic hatchback is a better car.

WITH THAT SAID. I liked it enough. Maybe I'll buy one after I finally get a real job.

Laconian

There's a Corolla hatch? Wow, I am not paying attention these days! I really wish the Civic could have this Corolla's sheet metal. This generation of Hondas are so overdone..
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

That back seat area looks like torture. So much back-end mass that and the dismal hatch area is inexcusable.

SJ_GTI

68_427

I think the sedan will have a more spacious rear seat.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Why would you buy one when in your own words the Civic hatchback is a better car?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 13, 2018, 05:07:05 PM
Why would you buy one when in your own words the Civic hatchback is a better car?

There are a few intangibles that the Corolla does that the Civic doesn't

- the interior feels nicer and better made

- the infotainment is more robust and works better

- it'll likely do better MPG real world

- it's not as ugly. I don't mind the Civic now that I'm accustomed to seeing it, but it's ugly.

- C&D said the car has rev matching in the MT? I didn't notice that. Maybe it's only on the XSE?

They're about the same, the civic is better. But if I found a Corolla hatch cheaper with a lower interest rate, I'd consider it.

MrH

Does the Corolla have CarPlay and android auto yet?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I'd get the flares and nostrils on the Civic painted. That back seat is no go
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 13, 2018, 06:39:54 PM
I'd get the flares and nostrils on the Civic painted. That back seat is no go

I like the Civic's front fascia. It's the proportions and entire rear fascia I don't like.

cawimmer430

Good quick review! And for a Toyota this looks seriously good.

I picked up some German-spec Toyota brochures for a friend in Japan at the local Toyota dealer. As an excuse to enter the dealer and pick up some brochures, I feigned interest in the 2018 Toyota Auris Wagon, but I was also genuinely curious as to what the car feels like.

This is obviously a car built to a price as the doors felt flimsy and sounded cheap when opened and closed. Interior was decent (I'm no hardcore dashstroaker...) but I could not find a suitable driving position in the car. The driver's seat would not slide all the way back to accommodate my 6'4" frame, and lowering the seat did little to improve my driving position. The seats also felt basic and not very comfortable. I just couldn't get comfortable in the car and that's a dealbreaker.

To me one of the most important things about a car is that the driving position feels good. I want to feel at ease, comfortable and relaxed. There are cars where I can comfortably fit in, but the driving position just feels very awkward - like the current BMW 2-Series Active Tourer; I just hate that driving position and feel.

Quite a shame since the 2018 Auris Wagon looks pretty good, offers good value, obviously has Toyota quality and a very large cargo area, especially with the rear seats folded down. At the same time, if it drives anything like my buddy's 2014ish/2015ish Auris then no thanks!  :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

What an ill-proportioned, nasty design. It looks like its wincing in pain.

Payman

That back bumper is bigger and more complex than some Kei cars. I'd hate to have to replace it on my own dime.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on September 14, 2018, 08:32:15 AM
What an ill-proportioned, nasty design. It looks like its wincing in pain.
I like that you are still passionate about car design. You are right, it's odd. Like they wanted to recall the heritage of the old Corolla FX

Toyota did a similar thing with the last Camry's c-pillars. Bigly bad.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs