All-New Mercedes-Benz B-Class Confirmed For Paris Auto Show

Started by cawimmer430, September 25, 2018, 07:21:26 AM

cawimmer430

The only reason I am posting this is because... I spoke with my dad a few days ago and informed me that he's seriously thinking of getting the new B-Class in early 2019.

His reasoning? Him and my mom are getting older and the B-Class, with it's higher seating position, will be comfortable to enter and exit. Then there are the compact dimensions and roomy interior - makes life easy in the city while you literally get the same usable interior space as you would in an E-Class. The B-Class is more comfort oriented than the A-Class. He will trade in the E350 CGI for it. It was recently valued at 15,000 Euros.

I'm encouraging him to take that route. I love driving the E350 CGI and that 292-hp V6 engine is a gem, but you can hardly park it anywhere and some single lane streets have become so narrow (because modern fat and wide cars are parked on both sides) you literally can't pass. Life in Europe is easier with a smaller car.

All-New Mercedes-Benz B-Class Confirmed For Paris Auto Show

Mercedes-Benz's compact family of cars will soon welcome the new generation B-Class.

The MPV, which will continue to challenge the likes of BMW's 2-Series Active and Gran Tourer models, will be presented to the public at the 2018 Paris Auto Show, early next week.

The third-generation Mercedes-Benz B-Class uses the same underpinnings as the latest A-Class. It promises a more spacious interior, cleaner engines, and some of the safety tech we've seen on the S-Class – always according to the car manufacturer.

One of the key features inside will be the MBUX infotainment system, a dual-screen layout that combines the infotainment system and digital instrument cluster into a single package. Just like in the 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the system will be available in different screen sizes, and will most likely be offered as standard across the range.

Another premiere for the 2018 Paris Auto Show is the Mercedes-AMG A35. The hot hatch goes against the Audi S3 Sportback and Volkswagen Golf R and is powered by a new turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, making 306 PS (301 hp / 225 kW) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque.

The engine channels output to the all-wheel drive system through a dual-clutch seven-speed automatic transmission, enabling the car to reach 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds while top speed is electronically capped at 250 km/h (155 mph).

Another novelty from Mercedes-Benz is the new-gen GLE. It has the BMW X5, Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 in its sights, boasting a freshened design, more space inside, better equipment lines and new range of engines.

Also making its first appearance at a motor show is the battery-electric Mercedes-Benz EQC. The zero-emission SUV represents the brand's vision of the future and will be joined by the EQ Silver Arrow concept.

Finally, the A-Class Sedan will be on display at the Mercedes-Benz stand, making its debut at an automotive event as well.

Smart has a surprise in store for show visitors, too: a study meant to mark the brand's 20th anniversary. The only thing we were told about it is that it is connected to the Crossblade and ForSpeed concepts from 2002 and 2011, respectively.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/new-mercedes-benz-b-class-confirmed-paris-auto-show/

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Morris Minor

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 25, 2018, 07:56:22 AM
I'd never replace an E class with this.......thing.
Vehicles the size of an E-Class are almost unusable in many European cities. They just don't fit. If I lived in London, or Paris, or Munich, I wouldn't want anything bigger than MINI-sized.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

I didn't read the article, but the pictures are depressingly ugly.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 25, 2018, 07:56:22 AM
I'd never replace an E class with this.......thing.

One of my dad's buddies went from a W221 S-Class to a W242 (current) B-Class and never looked back. :lol:

My dad has admitted that his friend "inspired" him with this decision. For driving purists this may seem like a bad move, but you can essentially get so many cool features in a B-Class, a choice of peppy engines and the same usable interior space as you'd get in an E-Class. For my dad, potentially moving from a RWD to a FWD car is not a big deal (he's not interested in AWD).

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 25, 2018, 08:18:52 AM
Vehicles the size of an E-Class are almost unusable in many European cities. They just don't fit. If I lived in London, or Paris, or Munich, I wouldn't want anything bigger than MINI-sized.

Exactly.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on September 25, 2018, 09:23:30 AM
Jesus Christ it's almost as fast as my dads SL550.

I believe the 4.7 second 0-62 mph time was about the new A35 AMG. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 25, 2018, 08:21:48 AM
I didn't read the article, but the pictures are depressingly ugly.

At least the interior will be cool. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

I know y'all are MB loyal, but I feel like this car is going to be very expensive for what it is

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on September 25, 2018, 10:50:26 AM
I know y'all are MB loyal, but I feel like this car is going to be very expensive for what it is
This is the story of every FWD compact MB ever

A Clio/Megane/Scenic are just as nice, way better looking, way cheaper
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 25, 2018, 07:21:26 AM
Then there are the compact dimensions ...... I love driving the E350 CGI and that 292-hp V6 engine is a gem, but you can hardly park it anywhere and some single lane streets have become so narrow .... Life in Europe is easier with a smaller car.

It would not surprise me if the new B class is actually wider then a W212 E class.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 25, 2018, 10:44:19 AM
One of my dad's buddies went from a W221 S-Class to a W242 (current) B-Class and never looked back. :lol:

My dad has admitted that his friend "inspired" him with this decision. For driving purists this may seem like a bad move, but you can essentially get so many cool features in a B-Class, a choice of peppy engines and the same usable interior space as you'd get in an E-Class. For my dad, potentially moving from a RWD to a FWD car is not a big deal (he's not interested in AWD).

I'd rather spend my senior years holding on to some of my remaining dignity and not pooping around in a young family soccer mom kind of car.

:evildude:

(Joking)
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

It needs bigger wheels and tires.  It looks like a Honda Fit that's been lowered; and uglier.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on September 25, 2018, 10:50:26 AM

It's not going to be cheap for sure, but my dad is very pragmatic and doesn't want that many features anyway. In his own words, he wants a "simple, comfortable car with the basic necessities"...

Essentially he's probably going to go for a B200 with the 1.33-l Renault-Nissan turbo engine, cloth seats, heated seats, sunroof/panoramic roof and the 360-degree advanced parking system. That's all he wants. No AMG Line, no fancy wheels, no leather or MB-Tex and he does not even want MBUX (might be standard on the B-Class, though).

And he's probably going to finance the car via trading in the E350 CGI and having dealership register the car in their name for a day and pick it up the next day as the second owner. This is called a Tageszulassung in Germany and some dealerships offer it. This instantly kicks off 7,000-8,000 Euros off the price.

This guy explains it pretty well.

That is widespread in Germany too AFAIK. It partly a tax saving but partly price 'politics'. It's called 'Tageszulassung'. Not fully au fait with the details, but I think either the manufacturer or the dealer registers the car as owned but never drive it. That way the car has 0km on the clock but is theoretically a used car. We found a load of good deals when we bought our car last year. Example: Fiat Stilo 1 year old, 0km, top 'ausstattung', upholstery, CD, aircon, and other gadgets, worth €18500 cost €12000. Didn't go for that because I am not a Fiat fan, but there were other similar deals. A ring around for good 'Tageszulassung' deals might turn up something.

Link: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/7946-buying-a-new-car-in-germany/

Another thing, yeah, the A- and B-Classes are pricey, but you get many intangible and tangible characteristics in those cars which you just don't get in some cheaper rivals. What I mean with that are a combination of things like attention to detail, the driving/seating position feel, the way the steering wheel feels in your hand, how close the pedals are together, the build quality feel/impression, handling etc.

So for example, my BMW 118i feels like a bank vault (doors open and close with a heavy thud) and obviously handles amazingly, whereas the cheaper competitors such as the Toyota Auris, Fiat Tipo and even the VW Golf feel "flimsy and cheap" in comparison (built to a price) and unless you are buying a GTI don't handle or drive very well. The two A-Classes I drove also felt expensive, solid and above all intelligently designed inside (great interior ergonomics). For some people such intangible and tangible features are worth the price. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on September 25, 2018, 11:55:19 AM
It would not surprise me if the new B class is actually wider then a W212 E class.

Won't happen. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 25, 2018, 11:59:42 AM
I'd rather spend my senior years holding on to some of my remaining dignity and not pooping around in a young family soccer mom kind of car.

:evildude:

(Joking)

:lol:

It's all a question of where we live. Like I said in my A250 AMG Line thread, I am forced to buy an A-Class because of our cramped city environment driving and parking conditions. It's easier living with a compact car in Europe, especially if they are intelligently designed inside and maximize space, which the A-Class and no doubt the new B-Class do and will do. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 25, 2018, 11:59:48 AM
It needs bigger wheels and tires.  It looks like a Honda Fit that's been lowered; and uglier.

I'm curious how it will look in the AMG Line trim. But the B-Class has always targeted generally older buyers for whom an A-Class is too youthful and sporty.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on September 26, 2018, 04:15:27 PM
Wimmer, does your dad still have the SL?

Yep. Been driving it until today to reduce mileage accumulation on the BMW. Have a shoot coming up with two new Mercedes G63 AMGs this weekend so the BMW is back in my garage to haul all my gear around.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Partially un-camouflaged...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8N-XPcZhQ

www.wimmerfotografie.de