2011 Subaru Outback

Started by BENZ BOY15, September 28, 2018, 04:57:28 PM

BENZ BOY15

So I got my dad's/brother's 2011 Outback (doesn't need anymore as he moved to DC) and it's alright. Dad & I agreed on 9K for purchase price. I like the gas milage, it's nice inside and allegedly it's good in the snow/ice but I haven't had a chance to test that out yet but will soon as winter is approaching. Negatives are it's pretty loud compared to Lexus, is super duper slow, doesn't feel as 'solid' and also feels pretty low to the ground which concerns me for some of the rougher roads I go on for work. A few times on some bombed out semi paved/dirt roads it felt a little dicey. People say it has good ground clearance despite sitting low but still Lexus felt better off roading.

It has almost 100K miles on it and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping. Anybody here have experience (or know of those with experience) with them post 100k miles? The Lexus, before asshole hit it and drove off, had I think almost 180k miles on it and besides regular crap, ran really well. But I know that's not the case for other cars and am wondering if it'll just be a money pit from here on out.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on September 28, 2018, 04:57:28 PM
So I got my dad's/brother's 2011 Outback (doesn't need anymore as he moved to DC) and it's alright. Dad & I agreed on 9K for purchase price. I like the gas milage, it's nice inside and allegedly it's good in the snow/ice but I haven't had a chance to test that out yet but will soon as winter is approaching. Negatives are it's pretty loud compared to Lexus, is super duper slow, doesn't feel as 'solid' and also feels pretty low to the ground which concerns me for some of the rougher roads I go on for work. A few times on some bombed out semi paved/dirt roads it felt a little dicey. People say it has good ground clearance despite sitting low but still Lexus felt better off roading.

It has almost 100K miles on it and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping. Anybody here have experience (or know of those with experience) with them post 100k miles? The Lexus, before asshole hit it and drove off, had I think almost 180k miles on it and besides regular crap, ran really well. But I know that's not the case for other cars and am wondering if it'll just be a money pit from here on out.

I sold 1997 Legacy in late 2015 with 212k miles on it. Just don't drive it with the CEL or let it overheat. I did and replaced the motor at 167k miles.

For peace of mind the biggest expense is the timing belt service. Get that done (with waterpump and accessory belts) when it's time (check your manual) and you should be good for another 100k miles.
Will

Laconian

Surprise: the Outback's ground clearance is .6" higher than the Lexus'. You should be less concerned about your off roadin'.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2018, 06:16:59 PM
Surprise: the Outback's ground clearance is 6" higher than the Lexus'. You should be less concerned about your off roadin'.

Sure doesn't feel that way but yeah Clay says it has good clearance as well.

Maybe it's the tires or my own perception, but I used to just gun it through these bombed out dirt/shitty roads with no issue but this one it feels a little sketchier.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 28, 2018, 06:07:05 PM
I sold 1997 Legacy in late 2015 with 212k miles on it. Just don't drive it with the CEL or let it overheat. I did and replaced the motor at 167k miles.

For peace of mind the biggest expense is the timing belt service. Get that done (with waterpump and accessory belts) when it's time (check your manual) and you should be good for another 100k miles.

Yeah I'll look into that. Not sure if it's been done.

Laconian

For some reason the period didn't go through. It's not half a foot higher lol

Laconian

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on September 28, 2018, 06:22:56 PM
Sure doesn't feel that way but yeah Clay says it has good clearance as well.

Maybe it's the tires or my own perception, but I used to just gun it through these bombed out dirt/shitty roads with no issue but this one it feels a little sketchier.

The cabin is going to be a heck of a lot less insulated than your Lexus. That will definitely impact your perception of the car being flimsier.

The Sube will handle a rollover much better than you Lexus would've. Subaru's roofs are insanely rigid, especially compared to a BOF vehicle like the GX.

Laconian

Technical comparisons aside, intangible qualities like image are important in RE. I wouldn't stick with the Subaru for left brained reasons if you're hauling around shallow, irrational rich clients. ;)

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2018, 06:28:10 PM
Technical comparisons aside, intangible qualities like image are important in RE. I wouldn't stick with the Subaru for left brained reasons if you're hauling around shallow, irrational rich clients. ;)

Clients don't care either way and so that's not a concern. It's just the overall build quality which was a bit of a concern, especially going forward into the 6 figure milage range. I would have kept Lexus until it died if asshole tweaker hadn't bashed it. My wealthiest clients tend to drive average cars anyway and they only care that I do a good job. ;)

I think in LA or Orange County, image would be an issue but I don't plan on moving there.

BENZ BOY15

Brother said after the last crash (:facepalm:) he was in, they did the timing belt.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2018, 06:28:10 PM

Agree, some people are shallow and image really might matter.

But if you're cool with it Joe then cool!
Will

BENZ BOY15

Yeah it works well and I also like the backup camera. :lol:

Just wish I had the bigger engine.

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2018, 06:16:59 PM
Surprise: the Outback's ground clearance is .6" higher than the Lexus'. You should be less concerned about your off roadin'.

What about it's approach/breakover?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Both are good enough for any sort of normal situation.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on September 29, 2018, 02:05:33 AM
Yeah it works well and I also like the backup camera. :lol:

Just wish I had the bigger engine.

At 5000' elevation, you might have appreciated the previous gen's turbo engine. The Outback H4 isn't fast by any means, but in thinner air it's going to be even weaker.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 29, 2018, 09:15:22 AM
Both are good enough for any sort of normal situation.

Yeah the off roady staff at the UTV place in Moab said that stick shift Subarus - in the right hands - can do amazing things on the slipstone without much modification.

TBR

Mine is a 2004 with 217k miles.

I've had to do the head gasket and some suspension things but overall it's a pretty damn cheap car to own / operate. It's slow as shit though.

Hope they put the turbo from the Ascent in the Outbook soon.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2018, 01:10:27 PM
At 5000' elevation, you might have appreciated the previous gen's turbo engine. The Outback H4 isn't fast by any means, but in thinner air it's going to be even weaker.

Yeah I was thinking the elevation might be part of it. Lately I've been working towns that are higher, like around 7,000 feet so it's probably even slower there.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2018, 01:11:38 PM
Yeah the off roady staff at the UTV place in Moab said that stick shift Subarus - in the right hands - can do amazing things on the slipstone without much modification.

Sliprock is so damn grippy...it's like riding on sandpaper or skateboard grip tape. Should be called griprock. It's called sliprock/slickrock/whatever because back in the day, it was very slippery for horses with metal horseshoes. And for anything when wet.