All-New Mercedes B-Class Lands In Paris With Fresh Looks And Tech

Started by cawimmer430, October 02, 2018, 05:20:58 AM

cawimmer430

Looks pretty good. Interior is similar to the A-Class but with some distinct changes.  :ohyeah:

All-New Mercedes B-Class Lands In Paris With Fresh Looks And Tech

Mercedes-Benz's compact vehicle family has just gotten bigger, with the introduction of the all-new B-Class.

Unveiled at the 2018 Paris Auto Show, the German firm's rival to the likes of the BMW 2-Series Active/Gran Tourer carries Mercedes' latest design language and looks more mature than the car it replaces. Said to have been designed to "stand out visually from the world of minivans", it has shorter overhangs, a lowered roofline, more muscular body and, of course, redesigned front and rear ends.

These features are joined by the optional LED headlights with LED DRLs, a large roof spoiler and wheel choices that span between 16 and 19 inches.

Thanks to the new design, the 2019 Mercedes-Benz B-Class has best-in-class airflow, claims the automaker, with aerodynamics engineers said to have reduce wind noise too, thanks to some extensive detail work.

Once inside, drivers will sit 90 mm (3.5 in) higher than in the latest A-Class. This results in good all-round visibility, enhanced by the optimized cross-sections of the roof pillars, which obscure less of the surroundings.

The dashboard panel is almost identical to the one found in the compact hatchback and sedan, with the dual-screen layout, five round air vents and ambient lighting.

Front elbow width, rear headroom and legroom have been increased thanks to the car's slightly larger footprint and 30 mm (1.18 in) longer wheelbase. Boot space has also gone up a bit, varying between 455 and 705 liters (16.07-24.9 cu-ft) with the rear seats up, and 1,540 liters (54.4 cu-ft) with the rear seats folded down. The multicontour seats with massage, heating and ventilation functions are on the options list, alongside other equipment that will be detailed later this year for every trim level.

Some of the functions of the S-Class flagship have been brought to the B-Class too, with Mercedes claiming the minivan can drive semi-autonomously in certain situations.

Powering it the 2019 Mercedes-Benz B-Class is a new/updated range of engines, all of which comply with the Euro 6d-TEMP limits. The 1.5-liter dCi is still here, making 115 PS (114 hp / 85 kW) and 260 Nm (192 lb-ft) of torque, joined by a 2.0-liter diesel with two outputs: 150 PS (147 hp / 110 kW) and PS (188 190 hp / 140 kW).

Two four-cylinder petrol engines are also available, both of them with 1.33 liters in displacement, making 136 PS (134 hp / 100 kW) and 163 PS (161 hp / 120 kW), respectively. The larger diesel can be had with a new dual-clutch eight-speed automatic transmission, and Mercedes-Benz says other engines will follow, as well as a 4Matic all-wheel drive system variant.

Sales of the new B-Class will start on December 3, with the first customer deliveries due two months later.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/new-mercedes-b-class-lands-paris-fresh-looks-tech/

AMG Line

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

It looks like MB took exactly 15 minutes with creating that design. Why do they still make this car? Most cars of this shape in Europe are getting phased out for similar shapes with boxy noses.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

I don't think it looks particularly good, but its not too bad. If that shape is better for practically (E-class interior space with an A-class footprint) I can see the appeal.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on October 02, 2018, 11:38:03 AM
Why do they still make this car? Most cars of this shape in Europe are getting phased out for similar shapes with boxy noses.

For the same reason VW has the Golf Sportsvan, and BMW has the 2er Active Tourer.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on October 02, 2018, 11:38:03 AM
It looks like MB took exactly 15 minutes with creating that design. Why do they still make this car? Most cars of this shape in Europe are getting phased out for similar shapes with boxy noses.

Essentially the A-Class and B-Class are in the same niche but the A-Class is aimed at younger buyers while the B-Class generally targets older or more family-oriented buyers [for whom a C-Class and above is too large]. When you live in Europe for awhile you will learn how we tick.  :praise:

Remember, here in Europe we tend to buy cars based on our garage space size. So in my case I would have loved a C-Class Wagon, or a CLA Shooting Break, but they don't fit into my garage space. Only the A-Class and B-Class do. Between the edgier and sportier A-Class and comfort-oriented B-Class it was a no-brainer.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 02, 2018, 12:07:49 PM
I don't think it looks particularly good, but its not too bad. If that shape is better for practically (E-class interior space with an A-class footprint) I can see the appeal.

Ironically I think the standard version without the AMG Line body kit looks better. For some reason the AMG Line trim looks out of place (almost comical) on this car. Maybe that's because I don't associate the B-Class with sportiness - or their typical buyers.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

We get these and the 2 series Active Tourer here. They sell very few
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 03, 2018, 01:57:21 PM
We get these and the 2 series Active Tourer here. They sell very few

Here in the 2-Series Active Tourer is incredibly popular. The B-Class and the 2er Active Tourer are never going to win awards for beauty, but they do have their place in the Mercedes and BMW lineup, especially in Europe, Asia and other markets where people want spacious but compact premium family cars. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

I don't think those cars sell in Asia, either. I'm pretty sure the X1 and GLA greatly outsell the 2AT and B CLASS.

giant_mtb

It looks bland-ish, but in a good way. It'll age well. Like an Audi. The amount of glass is refreshing.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2018, 12:57:58 PM
I don't think those cars sell in Asia, either. I'm pretty sure the X1 and GLA greatly outsell the 2AT and B CLASS.

I remember reading that they were popular in China and Japan. The rest of Asia? Nah, probably does not make so much sense to buy one there when tight spaces and narrow roads are not the problem.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

My dad is seriously thinking of trading in his E350 CGI for this. From my POV it's not really a downgrade.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZJlqkxZ4d4

www.wimmerfotografie.de