Return of the Mazda Rotary!

Started by Payman, October 02, 2018, 08:57:31 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 04, 2018, 02:37:15 PM
As noted, under high load and at a constant speed, they're quite efficient.

I know the Wankel is part of Mazda's uniqueness and USP to enthusiasts, but I still can't imagine this motor finding acceptance among the majority of the buying public. It might be efficient at constant speed, but aren't Wankel's still notorious for a high oil consumption and Apex seals that need to be replaced sooner or later?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2018, 09:26:10 AM
I know the Wankel is part of Mazda's uniqueness and USP to enthusiasts, but I still can't imagine this motor finding acceptance among the majority of the buying public. It might be efficient at constant speed, but aren't Wankel's still notorious for a high oil consumption and Apex seals that need to be replaced sooner or later?

They're not that bad, and if its a PHEV, it probably won't really be running very much depending on usage.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2018, 11:50:24 AM
They're not that bad, and if its a PHEV, it probably won't really be running very much depending on usage.

We'll see. Should be interesting. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Audi had planned to use a wankel as a range extender, and had a working prototype in the form of the A1 e-tron concept, but thee overlords at VW pulled the plug on that.