All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Started by cawimmer430, November 13, 2018, 05:16:48 PM

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2018, 12:56:09 PM
Amazing that such a universally sucky setup is so widely used.

I honestly don't know if the Juke I drove was AWD or FWD, but its handling was perhaps the best thing about it.

Mazda (supposedly) is about driving dynamics at its core. Yes, the setup is widely used and sucks in every single example for what is (supposedly) a core Mazda value.

As mentioned earlier, it's just Mazda being cheap and cashing in on its past brand equity (that came at the expense of unique and costly multilink rear suspensions for the last 15 years).  Nothing more, nothing less.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 20, 2018, 01:03:35 PM
Strong words for a car you haven't driven.

This forum wouldn't exist if posters couldn't have an opinion on on cars we haven't driven.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

You know what car also has a torsion beam?

The Cobalt SS.

The 500 abarth.

The fiesta ST.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 20, 2018, 01:22:09 PM
You know what car also has a torsion beam?

The Cobalt SS.

The 500 abarth.

The fiesta ST.

Don't forget the Fiesta SFE 1.0 Ecobooost.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2018, 12:28:45 PM
ehh, semi-independent. Motion of one wheel causes motion in the other. No, its not a live axle (which Lotus used for both weight and handling advantages), but its not completely independent either.

It is however likely (gasp!)- right for the application.
This is the biggest impact on vigorous driving I would think; that both wheels are impacted when one wheel goes over a bump.  Not so good for rally driving or racing in general, but likely okay for the average romp around town.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 20, 2018, 01:27:26 PM
This is the biggest impact on vigorous driving I would think; that both wheels are impacted when one wheel goes over a bump.  Not so good for rally driving or racing in general, but likely okay for the average romp around town.

And it's the same for any suspension with a sway bar.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2018, 01:29:19 PM
And it's the same for any suspension with a sway bar.

Yeah, a torsion bar is basically just a trailing arm suspension with a built-in sway bar.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

My only wish is that I could also have a torsion beam in the front.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 20, 2018, 01:27:26 PM

It definitely handles rough stuff with more chop and bucking than a proper gravel spec suspension would; but nobody yet has mentioned rallycross or even dirt in any form. On pavement, even a well sorted live axle can produce good handling, and sometimes has advantages over IRS suspensions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

My sonic has a torsion beam and it drives great. The only tendency I've noticed is maybe a little more bump steer, but in the grand scheme of things I've driven "IRS" setups that feel significantly less secure.

It's just such a silly hill to die on. The internet has latched onto "IRS" as the new way to shit on cars they've never driven.

r0tor

A go kart with no suspension is great until you hit a bump... Like what happens in the real world

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 20, 2018, 01:30:29 PM
Yeah, a torsion bar is basically just a trailing arm suspension with a built-in sway bar.
I suspect that the stress factors are different.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 20, 2018, 01:45:20 PM
It definitely handles rough stuff with more chop and bucking than a proper gravel spec suspension would; but nobody yet has mentioned rallycross or even dirt in any form. On pavement, even a well sorted live axle can produce good handling, and sometimes has advantages over IRS suspensions.
Certainly terrain makes a big different.  We also need to consider unsprung weight. 

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on November 20, 2018, 01:01:03 PM
Mazda (supposedly) is about driving dynamics at its core. Yes, the setup is widely used and sucks in every single example for what is (supposedly) a core Mazda value.

As mentioned earlier, it's just Mazda being cheap and cashing in on its past brand equity (that came at the expense of unique and costly multilink rear suspensions for the last 15 years).  Nothing more, nothing less.

Ah yes.  When I think of automotive OEMs with massive brand equity that they can cash in on, Mazda is the first one that comes to mind :lol: :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on November 20, 2018, 03:17:20 PM
Ah yes.  When I think of automotive OEMs with massive brand equity that they can cash in on, Mazda is the first one that comes to mind :lol: :wtf:

Strip away the "zoom zoom" equity and your pretty much left with mediocre powered cars with nice interiors (as of late) and of have died a decade ago

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 20, 2018, 01:23:09 PM
Don't forget the Fiesta SFE 1.0 Ecobooost.
And the Chevy Sonic

Quote from: 2o6 on November 20, 2018, 01:59:05 PM
My sonic has a torsion beam and it drives great. The only tendency I've noticed is maybe a little more bump steer, but in the grand scheme of things I've driven "IRS" setups that feel significantly less secure.

It's just such a silly hill to die on. The internet has latched onto "IRS" as the new way to shit on cars they've never driven.
Your Sonic is tiny and doesn't get too pricey

Lets put this way.... what other $30K hatch/sedan can you buy with a torsion beam?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

My mom just found out that the new 3 won't have IRS, so she's buying a current gen 3 as we speak.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2018, 05:17:56 PM
My mom just found out that the new 3 won't have IRS, so she's buying a current gen 3 as we speak.
Smart woman :ohyeah:.

Laconian

Actually it's more to do with risk aversion for the new engine. My dad found it very upsetting how Honda badly biffed the CR-V Earth Dreams rollout.  He thought the Japanese manufacturers were above that. He's newly skeptical of "new engine tech" like forced induction, sigh.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
Actually it's more to do with risk aversion for the new engine. My dad found it very upsetting how Honda badly biffed the CR-V Earth Dreams rollout.  He thought the Japanese manufacturers were above that. He's newly skeptical of "new engine tech" like forced induction, sigh.
Small displacement twin scroll turbo engines are excellent at this stage.  Surprising how much performance is available when needed and, yet, with careful driving, mileage is exceptional.  This is what I've found.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2018, 05:05:28 PM
And the Chevy Sonic
Your Sonic is tiny and doesn't get too pricey

Lets put this way.... what other $30K hatch/sedan can you buy with a torsion beam?

- A Class.

- Buick Verano (old)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 20, 2018, 06:19:01 PM

- A Class.

- Buick Verano (old)
I mean...............................

The Verano doesn't even exist anymore...............................

Galaxy

What about cars which use use a watt linkage? Some of the Opel/Buicks employ that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on November 20, 2018, 10:45:19 PM
What about cars which use use a watt linkage? Some of the Opel/Buicks employ that.

A Watt's linkage is a way of locating an axle so it moves freely up and down, but will not shift laterally. Its an addition to a suspension, not the suspension geometry itself; usually a used on a live axle, but can also be used on a torsion beam and some trailing arm arrangements in which case it reduces side shift.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I'm gonna be blunt- I don't like the exterior. Hatch has too much C pillar sheet meat as someone else put it; both look bland and a little old? Real step back from the current gen

Interior looks great though and I'm really waiting to see what's up with the powertrain, and whether or not that's getting ported to the 6. Just like with the current 3/6, I think the 6 with this design language will look incredible. Though I do wish they added some more tension or variation to the surfaces

CALL_911

As usual, looks fantastic. Mazda and Audi don't change much between gens but it works.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

I have mixed feelings about all of the metal that is the C pillar on the hatch.  Especially since it's not broken up by any kind of character lines.  I feel like there needs to be some kind of crease or line from the corner of the tail light to break up that big slab of metal.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor