2020 Toyota Corolla

Started by heelntoe, November 15, 2018, 09:00:31 PM

heelntoe

@heelntoe

AutobahnSHO

Still looks overstyled.

The silly GIANT HEX IN THE GRILL motif is overdone in my opinion. Can't wait till everyone moves to something else.
Will

CaminoRacer

And why does the hood have that huge verticle section along the sides? I'm guessing it's good for aerodynamics but it makes small cars look so bad. They try to compensate with the headlight design but that just makes it worse.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

giant_mtb

What's with the giant fucking grille.  I've always liked Corollas, but that front end seems excessive...as if it doesn't even belong aft-headlights.  Like most things, though, I'm sure it will grow on me over the years. Sigh.  Overall, still a good looking small car.

Eye of the Tiger

Eating the pedestrian does not count as meeting the pedestrian safety standards.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 15, 2018, 09:34:03 PM
Eating the pedestrian does not count as meeting the pedestrian safety standards.

Goddamn, I'm glad you're back.

BimmerM3

One of my favorite things is reading all y'all's complaints about modern vehicle design. :lol:

(For the record, I don't disagree; I just don't care. Looks are one of the lowest priorities when I shop for cars.)

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 15, 2018, 09:17:14 PM
And why does the hood have that huge verticle section along the sides? I'm guessing it's good for aerodynamics but it makes small cars look so bad. They try to compensate with the headlight design but that just makes it worse.

That little piece of body work with the Toyota emblem that's in front of the hood is pretty weird too lol

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 15, 2018, 09:45:55 PM
One of my favorite things is reading all y'all's complaints about modern vehicle design. :lol:

(For the record, I don't disagree; I just don't care. Looks are one of the lowest priorities when I shop for cars.)

I don't complain about modern vehicle design. I complain about terrible design.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2018, 09:50:55 PM
I don't complain about modern vehicle design. I complain about terrible design.

Case in point. :lol:

2o6

Like most Toyota designs, it'll look better in person.

The lower valance is odd, but the proportions are excellent.

Most people online don't like literally anything. You would probably find them complaining about the 2003 Corolla. And the 1989 Corolla.

And the fucking model t, idfk.

I'd hit.

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 15, 2018, 09:53:28 PM
Case in point. :lol:

2019 Mazda3 looks like a great design. The Jaguar iPace is a great design. So is the Kia Stinger. Toyotas Hondas and Nissans are so disappointing to me with their incoherent designs. It's like they exclusively hired manga comic artists trying to do something edgy and futuristic, but ending up with ridiculous looking cars.

2o6

Side note, it's great that this is arguably the best time to buy a new small car. The Corolla and Civic, despite however you may feel about how they look, are exceptionally good cars to drive and own. Nice interiors, good economy, good handling, good quality, good ride.

Hell, even the Chevy Cruze is a formidable competitor, and is cheap and generally reliable.

I mean. A TOYOTA COROLLA has a rev matching manual trans.

2o6

Idk it does get old reading that this new car isn't the same as the 1990's era of cars, when so many demands from both drivers and regulations have changed so much. I never realied how comfortable modern cars are until I get in an old car again. I drove a 2001 Civic the other day, as it felt like a fucking tin can.

Even the worst small car is still comfortable.

2o6

Also, I might buy one next year.  :huh:

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 15, 2018, 10:05:18 PM
Side note, it’s great that this is arguably the best time to buy a new small car. The Corolla and Civic, despite however you may feel about how they look, are exceptionally good cars to drive and own. Nice interiors, good economy, good handling, good quality, good ride.

Hell, even the Chevy Cruze is a formidable competitor, and is cheap and generally reliable.

That's awesome, and I agree they are great cars loaded with features and value, but if it's ugly I just don't care. Maybe I look at cars like I do women?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 15, 2018, 09:48:41 PM
That little piece of body work with the Toyota emblem that's in front of the hood is pretty weird too lol

Yeah. Could have easily extended to hood down another 2 inches. Maybe their hood sheet metal stamper is too small?

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on November 15, 2018, 10:07:54 PM
Idk it does get old reading that this new car isn’t the same as the 1990’s era of cars, when so many demands from both drivers and regulations have changed so much. I never realied how comfortable modern cars are until I get in an old car again. I drove a 2001 Civic the other day, as it felt like a fucking tin can.

Even the worst small car is still comfortable.

But other companies manage to make great looking cars! Mazda, for one.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on November 15, 2018, 10:05:18 PM
Side note, it's great that this is arguably the best time to buy a new small car. The Corolla and Civic, despite however you may feel about how they look, are exceptionally good cars to drive and own. Nice interiors, good economy, good handling, good quality, good ride.

I wish the 90s cars had the chassis stiffness and dynamic understanding that the new cars have, along with more powerful engines and enough gears to be quick around town and not buzzy on the highway. All of those things can be accomplished without making them ugly.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on November 15, 2018, 10:10:46 PM
But other companies manage to make great looking cars! Mazda, for one.

Industrial design is a dance between styling and engineering. Mazda sometimes makes good looking cars that are compromised in certain ways. (The CX-3 in particular isn't packaged well)

Also, a lot of people actually like the way they look.

I actually think Toyota and Lexus are on the ball right now with regards to styling. Good proportions coupled with interesting and very thoughtful detailing and complex surfacing.

I'd say Nissan and Subaru make some of the worst cars out right now. Nissan cars have half assed detailing coupled with proportions that generally skew all the way towards interior room and usefulness. Subaru's surfacing is generally blocky and uninteresting.

Honda has a lot of hit and misses. The way their current sedans are styled is weird, but most of their models have good proportions.

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 15, 2018, 10:12:21 PM
I wish the 90s cars had the chassis stiffness and dynamic understanding that the new cars have, along with more powerful engines and enough gears to be quick around town and not buzzy on the highway. All of those things can be accomplished without making them ugly.

Chassis stiffness won't do shit for a low H point and tight back seat. Old cars aren't designed very smartly.

I mean, hell...look at a 2000 Corolla in profile. (Or a lesson in ergonomics and ease of use, look at a 2000 Echo by comparison.)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on November 15, 2018, 10:16:41 PM

Chassis stiffness won't do shit for a low H point and tight back seat. Old cars aren't designed very smartly.

I mean, hell...look at a 2000 Corolla in profile.

I love the low H points. My old Saturn sat super low to the ground and it was great. I also think that's what helped the styling so much. You can have a low windowline with a low H point. It'd be odd to have a low windowline when you sit up high.

I'll give you the interior space thing. But I feel like that's another thing that can be fixed without beating it with the ugly stick.

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 15, 2018, 10:19:35 PM
I love the low H points. My old Saturn sat super low to the ground and it was great. I also think that's what helped the styling so much. You can have a low windowline with a low H point. It'd be odd to have a low windowline when you sit up high.

I'll give you the interior space thing. But I feel like that's another thing that can be fixed without beating it with the ugly stick.

Raising the H point makes people sit more upright.

- people want SUV's anyways

- easier to get in and out of

- you can package it for more legroom in a shorter package. Cars like the Echo/Yaris I And Focus I we're famous for being able to fit real people in small cars.

Idk it's great. Even the tiniest of cars feel real.

BimmerM3

Yeah my old Accord sat fairly low too (even before I lowered it), which I liked a lot. But it was a pretty long car for it's time.

BimmerM3

Damn, now I'm getting nostalgic for my old Accord.

2o6

I like new cars. I think a lot of online hyperbole about literally anything car related is super fucking overblown.

I mean, the internet went from praising the FRS to calling it a POS in a span of like six months

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 15, 2018, 10:36:11 PM
I like new cars. I think a lot of online hyperbole about literally anything car related is super fucking overblown.

I mean, the internet went from praising the FRS to calling it a POS in a span of like six months

Oh, it totally is. That's why it's so amusing.

cawimmer430

Looks pretty sharp for a Toyota, which often tend to be on the bland side.

A wagon version would be really edgy.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie