2020 BMW 7-series

Started by Payman, January 17, 2019, 08:07:30 AM

Payman

Payman

I half expect to see Creepy Karpis peering out from behind that prison cell grille.  :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

It's the new BMW 750LL Laramie Longhorn.

12,000 RPM

Who is in charge here. I want to speak to the manager on duty
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOW81UETK-k

The interior dash is 2:20 in the video.  Dash lit up at night is 4:10 in the video.

Not bad.  Exterior looks pretty good including big ass grille.  Large ICE sedans are a dying segment in the U.S. being killed by large SUVs and the Model S and this BMW should compete well with S class Merc for the scraps left over. 

Galaxy

Quote from: Rockraven on January 17, 2019, 08:09:33 AM
prison cell grille.  :mask:

That is actually a good description for this monstrosity.

There was a time when a 7 Series was classy, now it looks like it belongs in a rap video. 

veeman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqamiOVdh0Y

7 series have always been rap/hip hop cars but like the Escalade, can feel equally at home at a country club.

giant_mtb

Besides the gigantic grille, I think it's a great looking car.  Very imposing and stately, as the big Bimmers always have been.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on January 17, 2019, 09:19:16 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uOW81UETK-k

The interior dash is 2:20 in the video.  Dash lit up at night is 4:10 in the video.

Not bad.  Exterior looks pretty good including big ass grille.  Large ICE sedans are a dying segment in the U.S. being killed by large SUVs and the Model S and this BMW should compete well with S class Merc for the scraps left over.
No, it's bad. Bad compared to its competitors, and downright apostasy in the context of what the 7 series used to be.

You can't look at this and tell me this new monstrosity is beautiful.

Even the reviled E65 is gorgeous by comparison

MCM doesn't post anymore because even he knows BMW's design trajectory is indefensible

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 17, 2019, 11:41:45 AM
Besides the gigantic grille, I think it's a great looking car.  Very imposing and stately, as the big Bimmers always have been.

+1 but the grill kills it for me from a style perspective.

Galaxy

Quote from: veeman on January 17, 2019, 11:19:48 AM

7 series have always been rap/hip hop cars but like the Escalade, can feel equally at home at a country club.

Not in stock form.

These giant radiator grills are basically on the same level as fake exhaust pipes.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 17, 2019, 11:59:21 AM
No, it's bad. Bad compared to its competitors, and downright apostasy in the context of what the 7 series used to be.

You can't look at this and tell me this new monstrosity is beautiful.

Even the reviled E65 is gorgeous by comparison

MCM doesn't post anymore because even he knows BMW's design trajectory is indefensible

MCM?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

veeman

Galaxy

I have complained quite often here about the Audi grills becoming caricatures as well.

BimmerM3

I dunno why, but the Audi grills don't bother me as much. Maybe I'm just used to them by now.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Huge grilles seem to be in currently.  However, as loud as the BMW grille is, it's pales to the cow-catcher grilles presently used by Lexus.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 17, 2019, 01:26:49 PM
I dunno why, but the Audi grills don't bother me as much. Maybe I'm just used to them by now.

Same.  I may be biased 'cause I had one and have always loved the looks of Audis.  Plus, it seems like BMW took a giant leap in grille size, so it's a bit offputting.  Whereas Audi's grilles have slowly progressed in size.

I mean, going from this:

to this:

just seems really extreme. :wtf:

cawimmer430

Aside from the comically large kidney grilles, it's still a nice-looking car inside and out.

But man, what were they thinking when they decided to bless/curse this car with such a humongous kidney grille!? It looks so out of place.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

IMO the comically large badges/grilles on luxury cars we're seeing these days are like flames to nouveau riche moths.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Looks like they tried to mesh the grille from a Rools with the twin kidneys of a BMW.  Blech.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

I think it looks better than the bland pre-facelift one. As the flagship sedan it can use a little bling.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Saw the new 7er at BMW Welt. Ok, the kidney grilles are massive, BUT in person they don't come across as offensive or distracting as they may do in the press photos.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Nice looking car.  The grille looks okay on it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 01, 2019, 04:56:48 PM
Nice looking car.  The grille looks okay on it.

I thought it would look awful, but in person they do blend in rather well. It's a nice car, but I am scared away by the massive size of this thing. It's bad enough that parking spaces here are so small you something can't even park properly with a modern compact!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 01, 2019, 05:00:11 PM
I thought it would look awful, but in person they do blend in rather well. It's a nice car, but I am scared away by the massive size of this thing. It's bad enough that parking spaces here are so small you something can't even park properly with a modern compact!
I guess it depends on the angle and the lighting.