Ford Focus Sedan + Ford F250 Super Duty =

Started by cawimmer430, January 08, 2021, 03:45:46 AM

cawimmer430

Tropical Cabines' Ford F250 Super Duty Sedan Is The Brazilian Equivalent Of The Aznom Palladium

Along with the recent SUV and crossover craze have come many crossover-coupes from the likes of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and many others. And while their styling may be divisive, they all pale in comparison to this Ford F-250 Super Duty-based sedan.

Produced by a company called Tropical Cabines, these conversions were unique to Brazil. The truck-to-sedan conversion, called the the Tropiclassic, was launched in 2001 and the one pictured is a 2007 model. The process of making these Tropiclassics was pretty straightforward.

Tropical Cabines would remove the bed of the truck, leaving just a chassis cab, then refit them with pre-made in-house body designs. The front ends were usually custom, but the rears were always sourced from existing sedans. Interiors were upfitted to be a little more modern, but still looked very stock.

Interestingly enough, they seem to have nailed the proportions of the "car". Upon first glance, without a frame of reference to judge its size, the rear actually looks quite similar to a 1st-gen Ford Focus sedan from which it sources its trunk and taillights. In addition, the whole concept of the Tropiclassic seems very similar to the unusual Aznom Palladium, despite predating it by 19 years.

It should also be noted that these trucks' quirks weren't just skin-deep, either. As reported by The Drive, In Brazil, the first-generation Super Duty had two diesel engine choices: a 3.9L Cummins B-series 4-cylinder, or a domestically-produced 4.2L inline-six from MWM, a Brazilian division of Navistar. And while they're not of Tropical Cabines' doing, those atypical engines were never offered in the United States.

The conversion treatment was also not exclusive to Ford F-Series models. Old brochure photos and advertisements show that Tropical Cabines also built some based off of Chevrolets, and even some Dodge models. However, building these vehicles to order must not have been enough for Tropical Cabines to stay afloat, as by 2015 it had allegedly pared back Tropiclassic options to a single model.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/tropical-cabines-ford-f250-super-duty-sedan-is-the-brazilian-equivalent-of-the-aznom-palladium/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

I find this weirdly appealing.  Especially with the manual transmission. 

Payman

Just needs a convertible version and it would be perfect.

cawimmer430

Wouldn't a 3.9-l 4-cylinder engine be incredibly rough in terms of refinement? I am under the impression that the more displacement per cylinder the more the NVH qualities suffer. Is this true?

I remember that in Europe we got the Mitsubishi Palermo 3.2DI-D 4-Cylinder Diesel and that engine was rough as hell. Also the Porsche 968 with its 3.0 4-cylinder engine didn't have the best NVH.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Nice. I want a B series Cummins in somethin
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 08, 2021, 07:51:27 AM
Wouldn't a 3.9-l 4-cylinder engine be incredibly rough in terms of refinement? I am under the impression that the more displacement per cylinder the more the NVH qualities suffer. Is this true?

I remember that in Europe we got the Mitsubishi Palermo 3.2DI-D 4-Cylinder Diesel and that engine was rough as hell. Also the Porsche 968 with its 3.0 4-cylinder engine didn't have the best NVH.

Yep, but all you need is a 602# flywheel, seven balance shafts, and some active hydraulic motor mounts.

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2021, 07:52:41 AM
Nice. I want a B series Cummins in somethin

Oh man this would be awesome for rollin coal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on January 08, 2021, 07:56:24 AM
Oh man this would be awesome for rollin coal.

You could put a 15" diameter exhaust stack up through the rear, squat the rear end, and put LED light bars all over it. HECC YA.

Payman

Such luxury! You can almost not see the Sawzall marks from the NAV installation. And that steering wheel! I bet that takes a full half-bottle of gangta-gloss Armorall to spiffy up! Why is this in Jalopies and not Luxury Talk?