2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Named MotorTrend’s Car Of The Year

Started by cawimmer430, November 21, 2020, 10:50:09 AM

cawimmer430

That was unexpected. :confused:

2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Named MotorTrend's Car Of The Year

The 2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class has been named Car of the Year by MotorTrend.

This year, the publication gathered together 18 different vehicles and 30 variants, including the likes of the Audi S4, BMW 4-Series, Cadillac CT4, Chrysler Pacifica, Genesis G80, Genesis G90, Kia K5, and the Polestar 2, among others. Six finalists were then chosen; the BMW 8-Series Gran Coupe, Hyundai Sonata, Mercedes-Benz CLA, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Nissan Sentra, and the Porsche Taycan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgmefHYvoIQ

In determining its Car of the Year, MotorTrend has six key criteria for each car that it tests. These include Advancement in Design, Engineering Excellence, Efficiency, Safety, Value, and Performance of Intended Function. MotorTrend tested the new E-Class in a handful of guises during its 10-day testing programme, including the E 350, E 450, Convertible, Coupe, and the all-conquering E 63 S Wagon. It walked away the winner.

Interestingly, the 2021 E-Class isn't an all-new car, as many of the other vehicles in the Car of the Year test were. Instead, the 2021 model is a facelift of the W213 generation E-Class that has been in production since earlier 2016. While it may only be a facelift, Mercedes has made significant improvements to the car.

"They could have slapped on some new body panels, updated the engines, and called it a day," MotorTrend's Jonny Lieberman said of the 2021 model. "But the engineers went the extra mile. They pulled the all-nighter. Put in the hard work. The result? Car of the Year."

The MotorTrend team added that the 2021 E-Class is made all the more impressive by the fact that each and every variant and body style excels in all conditions. For example, the pre-facelift E-Class Convertible had terrible cowl shake, according to Lieberman, but the 2021 model "feels like an E-Class: solid, refined, luxurious, better than the competition."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/2021-mercedes-benz-e-class-named-motortrends-car-of-the-year/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

Haven't sat in an E class or A6 with a base 4 cylinder turbo engine.  It seems to me that at that price point it really wouldn't be worth it but I don't know.  Underpowered and not as smooth or quiet or probably reliable as the 6 but maybe they're fine. 

The difference in quality between this version of the Nissan Sentra and the last model is huge.  Looks like Nissan isn't in the death spiral like Infiniti is currently in. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on November 24, 2020, 07:53:33 AM
Haven't sat in an E class or A6 with a base 4 cylinder turbo engine.  It seems to me that at that price point it really wouldn't be worth it but I don't know.  Underpowered and not as smooth or quiet or probably reliable as the 6 but maybe they're fine. 

The only experience I have with the current E-Class is getting a ride in a Diesel taxi (4-cylinder) and an Uber-taxi (gasoline, most likely a 4-cylinder). In both cases the engine was hardly audible and didn't sound 4-cylinder ist at all. And the Uber taxi was definitely not a model sold in the US.

I can however state the the 4-cylinders found in my A250 and in my dad's A200 are AMAZINGLY SMOOTH and have excellent NVH characteristics. My A250 motor does not sound like a 4-cylinder at all, even under hard acceleration. The 1.33-l turbo 4 in my dad's B200 is very refined and smooth and also quiet. The only time it will sound like a 4-cylinder is under hard acceleration. This is the only time where it sounds like an "old school" 4-cylinder, and I must admit that this sound is a bit unpleasant given the excellent NVH characteristics of the motor.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie