Its the FUTURE, and cars are over

Started by Soup DeVille, February 21, 2019, 12:51:25 PM

Soup DeVille

And you run a museum. In the transportation wing you have room for one vehicle to represent the entire automotive era.

What do you look for?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Damn, that's a tough one. I'll go with the first car that came to mind, an
original condition 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air two door hardtop.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

If I'm setting up this museum in the US, how can it be anything but the Model T?  In Europe, I'd guess something like the VW Bug or a Citroen something or another, I can't recall what their first mass produced model was called. 

To represent the whole earth though?  Probably a Toyota pickup truck with a million miles  :lol:

BimmerM3

I need more context. What replaced cars in our hypothetical future? What is the overall theme of my museum?

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 21, 2019, 01:37:27 PM
I need more context. What replaced cars in our hypothetical future? What is the overall theme of my museum?

Well, let's just say "things got better.". Its up to you whether you want to look romantically back at the past or tell of the ecological horrors of a foolish time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 21, 2019, 02:34:25 PM
Excellent!

Reminds me of the Voyager episode where Tom is tinkering with a 1st gen Camaro. Coolness transcends time.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

The '59 Cadillac. The forever pinnacle of automotive styling. Perfect for a museum.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Damn good thread idea

Choice is obvious though

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

12,000 RPM

I can't think of a more representative vehicle. Its form factor is almost completely driven by practicality; it's popular; the engine exemplifies the challenges set forth by regulatory and market constraints. And in many ways it's the culmination of all the steps of evolution cars have made over their existence.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

Probably.a MkI Golf or a 1990s Corolla

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

Payman

I like Nick's '59 Caddy idea. Peak car.

2o6

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on February 22, 2019, 04:00:13 PM
Nope, this.

One car to show people 500 years from now to represent our cool and amazing car culture, and you want a fucking Taurus to be that car?

shp4man

Ya, he's gotta be kidding.......right?  :confused:

Soup DeVille

Well, that's the heart of the question.

Do you want to show what the typical car was? Do you want to show a particularly important or memorable car? Or do you want to try to capture the reason why people wanted cars in the first place?

veeman

F150 represents Murrica car culture best.  Best selling nameplate year after year for decades and most sold nameplate.  Rural and urban, rich and poor, work machine and vanity transportation, naturally aspirated gas vs turbo gas vs turbo diesel, it is everything and anything.  And then came the electrics, forced public transportation, and libtards in no particular order and hence this museum.

NomisR

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on February 22, 2019, 05:50:38 PM
F150 represents Murrica car culture best.  Best selling nameplate year after year for decades and most sold nameplate.  Rural and urban, rich and poor, work machine and vanity transportation, naturally aspirated gas vs turbo gas vs turbo diesel, it is everything and anything.  And then came the electrics, forced public transportation, and libtards in no particular order and hence this museum.

A lifted brodozer pickup truck is perfect. Future generations will know how wasteful and insecure we were circa 2019.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

It's got to be something from the late 1950s or very early 1960s, before government regulation (safety, emissions etc.) got rolling. That was the era when people started to get wealthy enough to afford the freedom offered by personal transportation and eschew public transportation, which languished. Governments were building highway networks at a high rate and roads were not yet choked.

I'd pick something quite ordinary & mainstream, something that Joe Lunchbucket could afford. A Plymouth Somethingorother, Ford Cortina etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤