No Garage

Started by Eye of the Tiger, December 07, 2018, 11:51:28 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Might want to lower the GMC for towing dooties. It's got the 1" blocks on the back right nao, but maybe it will level out with the trailer on it. Dunno.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

I like how you color matched the wheels to the door.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 11, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
I like how you color matched the wheels to the door.

I tried my level best to pick the matching shade of red from memory, and from the selection of two shades of red Rustoleum that were on the shelf.

Eye of the Tiger

I have too much schit to do, and no garage to do it in. Once again, it rained right as I was about to do more GMC work. Then it got dark. Fuck everything.

Eye of the Tiger

I have a better idea for the TV cable. I'll split a length of fuel line to stop the cable from fully reteacting. Fuel line is more adjustable and reversible.

Eye of the Tiger

M35A2 can only tow 10,000# highway?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 12, 2019, 10:56:49 AM
M35A2 can only tow 10,000# highway?

Nope, they have two ratings: one for cross country, one for highway. The 2 1/2 tons payload and 5 ton towing are the cross country ratings.

But they're slow. I mean like 55 mph tops slow. The A2 is the most popular with the prepper crowd because of the multifuel engine, but the A3, which are all retro-fit rebuilds gives you a modern diesel engine that can be reliably tuned to 300 HP, and goes to a single-tire setup in the rear.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2019, 11:07:18 AM
Nope, they have two ratings: one for cross country, one for highway. The 2 1/2 tons payload and 5 ton towing are the cross country ratings.

But they're slow. I mean like 55 mph tops slow. The A2 is the most popular with the prepper crowd because of the multifuel engine, but the A3, which are all retro-fit rebuilds gives you a modern diesel engine that can be reliably tuned to 300 HP, and goes to a single-tire setup in the rear.

But A2 is cheap, and can A3 have the 5 speed +hi/lo?

Soup DeVille

No. Hi/lo transfer case, yes, but they're all autos, and most people disconnect the CTIS because it leaks. Parts are a little harder to get too.

I mean, an A2 with the "C" turbo hercules engine isn't a bad way to go either, but you're gonna be sloooow.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2019, 11:34:50 AM
No. Hi/lo transfer case, yes, but they're all autos, and most people disconnect the CTIS because it leaks. Parts are a little harder to get too.

I mean, an A2 with the "C" turbo hercules engine isn't a bad way to go either, but you're gonna be sloooow.

GMC is sloww and gets 13 MPG highway. I mean, I've pegged the 85 MPH speedometer, but I should never do that.
M35A2 topping out at 55 seems like no big deal. Cruise at 50 towing an RV trailer, whatever. I would need to sound insulate the interior.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't really consider towing a high speed activity, unlike some people. Not saying I didn't hit 90 in an 18 wheeler before, but that was downhill with a malfunctioning engine brake.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 12, 2019, 11:42:20 AM
I don't really consider towing a high speed activity, unlike some people. Not saying I didn't hit 90 in an 18 wheeler before, but that was downhill with a malfunctioning engine brake.

It sounds like the M35A2 gets about 10mpg which is as good as my Suburban. Maybe I should get one. The kids probably won't like the amenities in the back. :frown:

CaminoRacer

I'd do a 572 big block swap
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Several people have done Cummins 4 and 6BT swaps with them; in high output form and some turbo work, they're good for 7-800 HP, but that's brodozer coal rolling trim. More reasonably they can do a reliable and smoke free 350.

Eye of the Tiger

I'd keep the original drivetrain. Too much horsepower would rearrange all of the junk in my camper. 50 MPH is a fine, economical cruising speed.

Eye of the Tiger

I dropped Dakota's front bumper today. I should get another bumper at the jurkyard in the morning before work. Then Dakota will just need timing chain and muffler. Then I can throw Ranger back together and sell it. Then I can turn GMC into a tow rig.

shp4man

Sell Dakota, Ranger and GMC. Buy decent older F250. DD the Fiesta. Done!  :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2019, 09:07:35 PM
Sell Dakota, Ranger and GMC. Buy decent older F250. DD the Fiesta. Done!  :praise:

What? No. GMC is tow truck for now. Dakota is cheap daily. Ranger is old junk. Fiesta is just a car payment that can go away.
Maybe upgrade GMC after getting RV trailer and finding out how horrible it is to tow.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2019, 09:07:35 PM

Okay, let's theoreticalize this.
Dakota: $2300
Ranger: $1500
GMC: $1900
F250 budget = $5700

Screw the F250, that's deuce money.

shp4man

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2019, 10:11:57 PM
Comes with service bed!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/ctd/d/lakeside-1995-ford-f250-utility-truck/6834607534.html

:lol:

There is no point in upgrading unless I go for a giant diesel engine, manual transmission, and extended cab.

Eye of the Tiger

I put a new timing set on Dakota today using just time that was waiting for parts to work on other cars. It is pretty easy and roomy to work on.
g Remove belt, remove water pump pulley, remove crank pulley, remove timing cover, line everything up, remove timing set, and installation is the reverse of removal.
One major engine noise eliminated!

Eye of the Tiger

I got a real muffler. Just a run of the mill, piece of crap, no performance, quiet one, but 2.5" diameter instead of 2.25". $21 from Amazon warehouse with "damaged packaging".
I can save the Spintech for another car, for later. They are so heavy gauge that they practically last forever. Spintech on GMC was previously on Accent. Lul.

Eye of the Tiger

Plan #C:
mmk bare with me...

Sell GMC and Dakota. Collect about $4000.
Trade Fiesta in for a 2011 F250 with the 6.2 Boss V8 and 6 speed TorqueMagic transmission. Finance about 8-10 grand.
Keep Ranger and be a Ford guy.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2019, 09:10:25 AM
Plan #C:
mmk bare with me...

Sell GMC and Dakota. Collect about $4000.
Trade Fiesta in for a 2011 F250 with the 6.2 Boss V8 and 6 speed TorqueMagic transmission. Finance about 8-10 grand.
Keep Ranger and be a Ford guy.
Win win :ohyeah:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 26, 2019, 09:25:57 AM
Win win :ohyeah:.

But I actually really like how the Dakota drives. Rack n pinion steering, quiet interior, smooth ride, AC, 20-22 MPG balls to the wall.
Ranger is bouncy, loud, even slower, no AC, no radio.

Plan #5, same as  above, except sell Ranger/keep Dakota.

Eye of the Tiger

Plan #C wins, I think.

Submariner

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2019, 01:07:50 PM
Plan #C wins, I think.

That certainly solves your towing problems.

How is the reliability on the 6.2?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2019, 01:07:50 PM
Plan #C wins, I think.
You might be able to tow your house to LAND then.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on March 26, 2019, 03:46:33 PM
That certainly solves your towing problems.

How is the reliability on the 6.2?

I haven't worked on the 6.2. I have to assume that it is improved over the 5.4 and V10.