Off-road Patriot is Surprisingly Capable: Trail Rated Model Rugged, Affordable

Started by Atomic, March 26, 2007, 04:09:21 PM

Atomic

Off-road Patriot is Surprisingly Capable: Trail Rated Model Rugged, Affordable

i needed to check the all new jeep patriot out for myself. i must admit, i came away very impressed. automotive news sings it's praises, too!

By: Rick Kranz 

For: Automotive News, March 26, 2007

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- While the 2007 Jeep Patriot shares a platform with the somewhat mainstream front-drive Dodge Caliber, the Trail Rated Patriot model is engineered as a surprisingly capable off-road vehicle.

With the optional off-road package, the all-wheel-drive Patriot can cross a 19-inch-deep stream, ascend or descend moderately steep grades and climb over some good-sized rocks and logs.

Although it is not intended for rescue missions on the rugged Rubicon Trail, "the Patriot is somewhat of a spiritual successor to the old Cherokee," says John Sgalia, director of Jeep Patriot design.

The basics: The 2007 Patriot is the seventh addition to Jeep's lineup, completing an expansion started in 2005. And it is Jeep's lowest-priced model -- $14,985, including shipping.

The Patriot also shares a platform with the Jeep Compass. Mitsubishi Motors started development of the vehicle platform. Chrysler joined as a co-developer, adapting the platform to a range of vehicles that ended up being marketed under the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brands. Right-hand-drive models also were created.

Three four-cylinder engines are offered, co-engineered by Hyundai Motor Co., Mitsubishi and DaimlerChrysler. A continuously variable transmission is optional.

Standard Patriot safety features include side curtain airbags, stability control, antilock brakes and electronic roll mitigation. Crank-style roll-up windows and nonpower door locks are standard; air conditioning is optional.

Notable features: The Patriot is available in three drive configurations: fwd, full-time awd and awd Trail Rated.

It is the third option package, which Jeep calls Freedom Drive II, that turns the Patriot from a shopping mall cruiser into a respectable, low-priced off-roader.

The base Patriot, called Sport, can be had with that package for $19,175, including shipping.

The Freedom Drive II package includes a CVT with a 19:1 low ratio, developed for crawling over obstacles. A brake traction control system maintains forward mobility on surfaces when one wheel loses traction.

"As a wheel comes up off the ground, it transfers torque to the other (axle) to keep you going down the trail," Matt Liddane, chief engineer of the Patriot, said during an interview at a Patriot event here.

A hill-descent feature modulates brake pressure without input from the driver, providing downhill assistance at a controlled speed.

Models with Freedom Drive II have 9 inches of ground clearance, up 1 inch from other Patriot models. A 3.5-millimeter-thick skid plate is in front, at the lowest portion of the vehicle, and in the rear, to protect the fuel tank.

What Jeep says: "The Patriot is aimed at buyers who were never able to afford a Jeep," said Mark Heber, senior brand manager, Jeep marketing.

Compromises and shortcomings: The CVT is annoying. During passing situations, the transmission seems to be continuously searching for the right gear ratio.

Nuts and bolts: While the Patriot and Compass are the same size, the Patriot has boxy styling that is aimed at male buyers.

The Patriot is about $1,000 less than a Compass because it has less standard equipment. The Trail Rated package is not offered on the Compass.

The skinny: The Patriot's good looks, capable off-road performance and attractive price are a winning combination.

Patriot vs. Tucson: How Jeep Patriot compares with rival Hyundai Tucson

Jeep Patriot Hyundai Tucson

Wheelbase 103.7 in. 103.5 in.

Length 173.6 in. 170.3 in.

Width 69.1 in. 70.7 in.

Height 65.7 in. 68.1 in.

Curb weight 3,108 lbs. 3,240 lbs.

Base engine 2.4-liter 4-cylinder 2.0-liter 4-cylinder

Horsepower 172 @ 6,000 rpm 140 @ 6,000 rpm

Torque 165 lbs.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm 136 lbs.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm

Base price $14,985* $17,595*

*Includes shipping

have any of you driven one yet? not bad for a nearly $15,000 vehicle, eh?!

Eye of the Tiger

I don't find it suprising at all. It's cheap and capable, much like the old Cherokee was. People just dog it because of it's car-like chassis. So maybe it's not exactly a rock crawler, but it has a good AWD/CVT setup and enough ground clearance for anything most people would throw at it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

chevyguy06

I don't really think that the Off-road ability matters. How many of the people that buy them are actually going to take them off road? They're pretty nice for the price, if I was looking at a new cute-ute I'd check it out.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

goldenlover1101

Quote from: chevyguy06 on March 26, 2007, 05:05:57 PM
I don't really think that the Off-road ability matters. How many of the people that buy them are actually going to take them off road? They're pretty nice for the price, if I was looking at a new cute-ute I'd check it out.
Not many, except the occasional jaunt to a camp site or beach run. Most people will never push these to the limits, much less a "Trail-Rated" Jeep. This is a good looking Jeep that would fit my needs perfectly as long as it can tow a trailer and two snowmobiles. It looks really good on the outside, much like the old Cherokee, and the interior looks durable if not nice. The Patriot is horrible though, even if they are the same vehicle underneath.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

S204STi

I was reading about this in MT, and I was thinking just how slick the CVT would be with AWD.  They give it an extra low ratio, to allow better climbing ability, etc.  Plus it gets hill-decent control.  Not bad for a $15,000 car.

Raza

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on March 26, 2007, 05:52:02 PM
Not many, except the occasional jaunt to a camp site or beach run. Most people will never push these to the limits, much less a "Trail-Rated" Jeep. This is a good looking Jeep that would fit my needs perfectly as long as it can tow a trailer and two snowmobiles. It looks really good on the outside, much like the old Cherokee, and the interior looks durable if not nice. The Patriot is horrible though, even if they are the same vehicle underneath.

You mean Compass, right?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Eye of the Tiger

Jeeps suck anyway. I've always felt that Suzuki Samurais are the perfect off-road vehicles (maybe that's why I've owned 2 of 'em). Just throw on some good tires and stick a couple of locking diffs in there, and you're set.

Here are just 10 of the reasons why Sammies are better than any Jeep made in the last 30 years:

-Sammies are narrower, enough to fit down trails that some Jeeps can't

-Sammies can drive in between the ruts made by Jeeps

-Sammies have 4 seats, but they're so light it only takes 2 people to get them unstuck, Jeeps have 4 seats, but are so heavy they need 4 people and a winch

-Sammies are simple and reliable as hell, Jeeps suck

-Sammies are cheap, so you don't mind beating them up; Jeeps are hella expensive, $30k for a friggin Wrangler!?

-Sammies made by Suzuki, the same company that makes the Esteem, which has been said to be the best car in the world. Jeeps are made by Daimler-Chysler, makers of the Dodge Aries, a real piece of shit car

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

My dad used to rent Samurai.? He loves them good. [Edit: He loves them good?  Was I drunk when I wrote that?]

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on March 26, 2007, 06:16:24 PM
Jeeps suck anyway. I've always felt that Suzuki Samurais are the perfect off-road vehicles (maybe that's why I've owned 2 of 'em). Just throw on some good tires and stick a couple of locking diffs in there, and you're set.

Here are just 10 of the reasons why Sammies are better than any Jeep made in the last 30 years:

-Sammies have 4 seats, but they're so light it only takes 2 people to get them unstuck, Jeeps have 4 seats, but are so heavy they need 4 people and a winch

-Sammies are cheap, so you don't mind beating them up; Jeeps are hella expensive, $30k for a friggin Wrangler!?

-Sammies made by Suzuki, the same company that makes the Esteem, which has been said to be the best car in the world. Jeeps are made by Daimler-Chysler, makers of the Dodge Aries, a real piece of shit car

Other than the gutless engine, I might have to agree with you.  Need I remind anyone of the horrors of getting a Grand Cherokee out of the mud last May?  I have plenty of pictures of that 4 a.m. act of stupidity.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8314.msg398448#msg398448 date=1174953560
You mean Compass, right?
Yes, a moent of weakness, unforgiveable among all mankind. I must go weep in a corner now. Yes, the Compass is fugly.

TheIntrepid

I cannot wait till 93JC reads this. :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on March 26, 2007, 07:15:23 PM
Yes, a moent of weakness, unforgiveable among all mankind. I must go weep in a corner now. Yes, the Compass is fugly.

Yeah.  Don't be too hard on yourself.

I do kind of like the Patriot.  I like the Liberty better, on looks alone, though.  I know it's a lot more expensive.

Can you get a Trailrated Patriot with a stickshift?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8314.msg399026#msg399026 date=1174975073
Yeah.? Don't be too hard on yourself.

I do kind of like the Patriot.? I like the Liberty better, on looks alone, though.? I know it's a lot more expensive.

Can you get a Trailrated Patriot with a stickshift?

I don't think you get a "trail rating" with the stick. The package with the raised suspension includes the CVT with the low crawl ratio.

But for < $17k, you can get an AWD 2.4L with a stickshift.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on March 27, 2007, 12:07:02 AM
I don't think you get a "trail rating" with the stick. The package with the raised suspension includes the CVT with the low crawl ratio.

But for < $17k, you can get an AWD 2.4L with a stickshift.

At that point, I'd probably go for the Suzuki SX4, should I need the tall wagon type.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Having done a lot of offroading in my day, I can tell you that I have seen way more rolled Samurais then all others combined.  I had a friend who rolled one going around a corner on a paved road because he was going too fast.  Taller tires and a small lift turns those things into a death trap.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 26, 2007, 06:49:19 PM
Other than the gutless engine, I might have to agree with you.? Need I remind anyone of the horrors of getting a Grand Cherokee out of the mud last May?? I have plenty of pictures of that 4 a.m. act of stupidity.
You have to admit that the mud hole that GC was stuck in, would have trapped pretty much anything without 44s and a 12" lift.

Catman

I can't argue with the Patriot when you look at the price.  However, the Compass is an absolute abortion. :confused:

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on March 27, 2007, 07:30:31 AM
I can't argue with the Patriot when you look at the price.? However, the Compass is an absolute abortion. :confused:
Do you mean abomination?  Or do you really mean abortion?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 07:28:41 AM
Having done a lot of offroading in my day, I can tell you that I have seen way more rolled Samurais then all others combined. I had a friend who rolled one going around a corner on a paved road because he was going too fast. Taller tires and a small lift turns those things into a death trap.

In stock form, they are harder to roll than you think (off road anyway). If you have worn out shocks and disconnected sway bars, they do become quite tipsy on the road. And once you put a lift on it, well, then they act like any other vehicle that gets raised above it's original height. Combine that with someone who thinks they can drive it like a normal car, and you definately have a problem on your hands.

I think Consumer Reports already spread enough of that propaganda back in the 80's, so I don't need to hear any more of it.

Anywayt, the great thing about Sammies is, because they're so light, it only takes a few people to help roll them back on their feet!

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8314.msg399033#msg399033 date=1174979877
At that point, I'd probably go for the Suzuki SX4, should I need the tall wagon type.

Suzuki FTW!!!

Eye of the Tiger

I can't argue with the Patriot when you look at the price.? However, the Compass is an absolute abortion. :confused:

Yes, it is too bad Jeep isn't pro-choice, or the Compass surely wouldn't be here right now.  :P

Tave

Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 05:54:53 PM
I was reading about this in MT, and I was thinking just how slick the CVT would be with AWD.? They give it an extra low ratio, to allow better climbing ability, etc.? Plus it gets hill-decent control.? Not bad for a $15,000 car.

It's 19 grand with all that crap, and you can get a base Wrangler for that price.

I'm picturing their testing for this car in my mind:

Right now I see scientists crowding round the side of a huge tank of water with a ruler, making sure their "stream" is exactly 19" deep.

I hadn't seen a Patriot 'till yesterday. I'm sure it does allright but I could break it within 30 min. on the mountain. I wouldn't even have to leave a main trail.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on March 27, 2007, 07:46:23 AM
In stock form, they are harder to roll than you think (off road anyway). If you have worn out shocks and disconnected sway bars, they do become quite tipsy on the road. And once you put a lift on it, well, then they act like any other vehicle that gets raised above it's original height. Combine that with someone who thinks they can drive it like a normal car, and you definately have a problem on your hands.
Ummm, not realy.  Samurai's rool over a helluva lot easier then any other truck that is lifted.  Like I said, I've seen more rolled over Sammies while offroading then all other vehicles combined.

QuoteAnywayt, the great thing about Sammies is, because they're so light, it only takes a few people to help roll them back on their feet!
True enough. :ohyeah:

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 07:29:45 AM
You have to admit that the mud hole that GC was stuck in, would have trapped pretty much anything without 44s and a 12" lift.

You're probably right, but I just wanted an excuse to post more pics.  Here's one from the Jeep owner's album as it was getting pulled out:

All of those clumps of mud rolled out of the wheel wells, I think.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

I can't argue with the Patriot when you look at the price.  However, the Compass is an absolute abortion. :confused:

On top of that, the Compass serves no purpose.  All it does is saturate the market.  They have the Patriot, which comes in many flavors, trailrated and not, and they have the Dodge Nitro for the normal people.  There's the Caliber for people that don't want an SUV.  And then the Compass comes along and says "If you want a Caliber and/or a Nitro, buy a Compass!"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

goldenlover1101

For some reason i didn't think you could get a TrailRated Patriot because even if awd they can't tackle the rubicon. I guess I'm wrong and if so a trail rated jeep for 15-20 grand is awesome. one thing i don't get, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep put awesome innovations in the interior like chilled glove box, heated cup holder, ipod holder, yet they put crappy plastics and poor ergonomics in these interiors which totally ruins it. The Sebring is a perfect example.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 27, 2007, 07:28:41 AM
Having done a lot of offroading in my day, I can tell you that I have seen way more rolled Samurais then all others combined.  I had a friend who rolled one going around a corner on a paved road because he was going too fast.  Taller tires and a small lift turns those things into a death trap.

You're just buying into Consumer Reports propaganda.

Eye of the Tiger

93JC