***My New Car! It's FINALLY here!***

Started by cawimmer430, November 27, 2018, 09:56:28 AM

Galaxy

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on November 27, 2018, 09:10:33 PM
That's just a keychain, bruh...

Okay, well he said "fob AND key" so I thought the silly metal tube thing had some purpose. Soory dude.

MexicoCityM3

Muchas felicidades Wimmer.

Casi tan bueno como un BMW. :evildude:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Congrats!!! Looks really good, particularly the interior. This bodes really well for the A-Class we are getting... current CLA is a total joke

I like the stance too, man I'd be bummed I couldn't lower this car. Is it on a sport suspension? It sits very low. Looks great
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2018, 01:22:24 PM
Congrats!!! Looks really good, particularly the interior. This bodes really well for the A-Class we are getting... current CLA is a total joke

I like the stance too, man I'd be bummed I couldn't lower this car. Is it on a sport suspension? It sits very low. Looks great

You could put coilovers on it and lift it two inches. Then I could cut the springs and lower it back down.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 28, 2018, 01:24:59 PM
You could put coilovers on it and lift it two inches.

The next GLA should be just around the corner.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on November 27, 2018, 04:37:22 PM
NICE!!!! :dance:

Quote from: r0tor on November 27, 2018, 07:40:25 PM
Congrats

Quote from: 93JC on November 27, 2018, 09:11:02 PM
Congrats Wimmer, I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

Quote from: Galaxy on November 28, 2018, 12:14:09 AM
Congrats on the new A Class.  :cheers:

Thank you all!  :cheers:

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 27, 2018, 08:18:11 PM
I understand how the fob itself works (I assume it's like any other proximity-key push button starter), but what's the metal stick for...?

I would guess it's to add some weight to the somewhat light key, so you can feel it in your pocket. I'm going to remove it because it keeps getting entangled with my apartment keys.  :tounge:

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 28, 2018, 12:02:22 PM
Muchas felicidades Wimmer.

Casi tan bueno como un BMW. :evildude:

Muchas Gracias, Senor BMW Fanboy!  :evildude:  :thumbsup:

I do miss the BMW, but this new car is a reminder of what direction the industry is going with technology, features etc. And boy, this turbo engine is a gem!  :cheers:

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2018, 01:22:24 PM

Thanks!  :cheers:

Yep, the AMG Line is lowered by 2 centimeters. The addition of the sportier body kit also makes it look lower than it is. What also helps are the huge 19" AMG wheels. The standard AMG wheels are 18", and I personally think they're a tad small. This design works best with 19"+ wheels.  :cheers:

So, got my Rial M10 winter wheels and tires fitted today. Then it was off to the TÜV to get the wheels inspected, tested and.... PASSED. I can now legally have fun in the winter with the Rial M10 wheels. They're 19" and AMG-lookalikes. The biggest difference? A single 18" AMG 5-Spoke wheel costs 850,- Euros. I got these four 19" Rial M10s for less than 600,- Euros.  :ohyeah:

Getting the summer wheels off and the winter wheels on...

At the TÜV where the Rial M10 wheels are getting inspected and tested. Took about 15 minutes and bam, street legal, baby.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

That looks incredible. Great choice with the color and wheels.

Is the steering wheel as complicated as it looks?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

10 Minute Quick Interior/Exterior Walk-Around Video. :cheers:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuC59HUvuuw

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 28, 2018, 01:49:33 PM
That looks incredible. Great choice with the color and wheels.

Is the steering wheel as complicated as it looks?

It was sheer luck that I got those wheels. Originally I was going for the standard 18" 5-Spoke AMG wheels. But a few days before placing the order I saw an AMG Line A-Class stealthily sneaking through traffic with the 19" AMG wheels which I now have and I instantly fell in love. I had to have them. If it weren't for that encounter I would never have known about them since at the time I was considering the car they weren't on the MB website for the A-Class.

The steering wheel is actually quite simple. It looks difficult, but it's not really. Most of the controls are self explanatory. The left side BACK-BLACK BOX-HOME buttons control the tachometer in front of you. On the right side, the BACK-BLACK BOX-HOME control the functions on the main screen. Alternatively you can use the screen via touch or some features via voice control (MBUX) or use the "mouse pad" in the center console.

The new cruise control system takes some getting use to. You have to set the speed you want to cruise at (SET + / SET -) and then push up the tachometer button to its right. On the left side you can reset or cancel cruise (or simply hit the brake pedal). Takes awhile to get used to, but I drove 220 km today and quickly got the hang of it. The two sides of the steering wheel are also subtly light at night (but my snapshot is way overexposed).

Driver's view...

This is the AMG steering wheel, and it feels so good in your hands. I'm about to write up a short review from all the driving I did today - with some new pics. Stay tuned and do check out the video above, I explain vaguely the steering wheel functions!  :cheers:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

I really dig those Rial wheels. Looks great!  :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

Quick Driving Update!

Today I got my winter wheels and tires fitted, and my drive took almost an hour. I had the car up to 180 km/h on the Autobahn. The engine is a gem in combination with the 7-DCT. They work so well together. The motor is very eager and powerful. At 180 km/h the car is very stable and the steering feedback tightens at higher speed (in the city it's rather light) - you can feel it becoming tighter the faster you go. I'm really enjoying the effortless power.

My winter tires are good for 240 km/h, but I'll go there once the engine, transmission etc. are properly broken in. I drove fast today, but didn't do any kickdowns. Enjoyable car to drive on a lengthy cruise. Average fuel consumption was between 7.7 and 8.2 L / 100 km (about 30.5/28.7 mpg) which involved a mix of city, Autobahn, country roads and again [destination] city driving. Not bad, especially since I am still getting to know the car.

Played around with the suspension settings (ECO, Comfort, Sport and Standard), mainly Sport and Comfort. In Sport mode the transmission is noticeably more aggressive, the steering is tighter and the engine sounds more aggressive (so that's where the sport engine note was hiding!). In comfort the steering is lighter (but tightens as you drive faster) and the transmission shifts a little "lazier". So far in both modes I didn't detect any real difference in regards to suspension feel. I don't like ECO mode...  :tounge:

Ok, first some shots with the winter wheels and tires. 19" Rial M10s, very close to the original AMG-style wheels (but so much cheaper!!!).

Later at night I managed a great light-painted shot of the interior, but I have yet to edit the shots, so these will have to do. Close-up of the AMG seats; great side and back support, super comfortable and great materials. Not a fan of leather but you can only get these seats in either [full] leather or with MB-Tex with Micro Fibre insets (cloth) which Mercedes calls Dinamica. Mine are the latter: MB-Tex with Dinamica. They feel nice. Oh, and I skimped on the electrically adjustable seats - mine are basic and manually adjusted. Much quicker (and free).  :ohyeah:

Here's something I didn't specify, but I am glad it's part of the extended MBUX system. This is the new AUGMENTED REALITY feature which activates when you use the navigation system. You see a live view of the road ahead with blue arrow insets which show you where exactly to turn or which road you need to take. It's quite handy, and a neat feature.

Hey there, old Mercedes A-Class AMG Line and Lamborghini Urus!  :tounge:

Overall, a productive day. The car is so much fun to drive. You do not notice it's FWD at all (A250 has an LSD), copes nicely with corners, no torque steer when you aggressively throttle it. Feels great. Now back to studying the instruction manual!  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 28, 2018, 02:19:59 PM
I really dig those Rial wheels. Looks great!  :ohyeah:

This time I wanted to make sure that my car has nice summer and winter wheels. ;)

By the way, another fun feature. Spin the car around (also slight up and down views) and different system menus will pop up. Boy, I need time to study all of this!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OduF3_m5pr8

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Still taking it easy, but reached 200 km/h today. This was just leisurely acceleration, no kickdown. The car was very stable at that speed, and inspired me to go faster.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUF6DMpmLso

www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

Lol, the gearing on my car is oh so very high by comparison. You're turning about 3100 rpm at 200 km/h; at 3100 rpm in top gear my car is only going about 130. :cry:

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on November 29, 2018, 12:19:00 PM
Lol, the gearing on my car is oh so very high by comparison. You're turning about 3100 rpm at 200 km/h; at 3100 rpm in top gear my car is only going about 130. :cry:

There's definitely room for more speed.  :tounge:

Some light painted photos from last night. These are all I could manage before my light stick ran out of juice (had not charged it since the late summer), so the exterior shot is not properly light on the hood and roof and side mirror area.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

What is your car and what transmission?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Those digital gauges are really well done.  Cheap digital gauges are soooooo bad, but the good ones are quite good.

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 29, 2018, 12:43:55 PM
What is your car and what transmission?

2010 Mazda 3 Sport GS; 2.5 L I4, 5-speed automatic. 4th and 5th are overdrive gears, but the axle ratio is close to 4:1. At 80 km/h in 5th the engine is turning ~1900 rpm, and this is the sweet spot for fuel efficiency. At 100 km/h it's about 2100 rpm. At 120 km/h it's about 2700 rpm. The fastest I've had the car up to is 160ish, and it was >3500 rpm.

BimmerM3

The S2000 is at 4k RPM at 75 mph (~120 kmh). :mask:

And that's in 6th gear. :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on November 29, 2018, 02:07:38 PM
2010 Mazda 3 Sport GS; 2.5 L I4, 5-speed automatic. 4th and 5th are overdrive gears, but the axle ratio is close to 4:1. At 80 km/h in 5th the engine is turning ~1900 rpm, and this is the sweet spot for fuel efficiency. At 100 km/h it's about 2100 rpm. At 120 km/h it's about 2700 rpm. The fastest I've had the car up to is 160ish, and it was >3500 rpm.

My Discovery Sport is a 2.0 L twin spool turbo (EcoBoost) with a ZF-9.  It was a revelation to me as to how responsive it was as well as being, potentially, so economical.  My typical hwy speed is about 110 kph and, if I recall correctly, at about 2100 rpm.  The fastest I usually go is about 130 kph and it seems to me the rpm is still well below 2500 rpm.  What was really surprising to me is on a normal hwy trip, often I get around 6 litres per 100 k. 

I'm a real fan now of small displacement twin spool turbos with lots of gears.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2018, 01:56:40 PM
Those digital gauges are really well done.  Cheap digital gauges are soooooo bad, but the good ones are quite good.

My favorite are Modern Classic and Sport. Not a fan of Understated. In the video I posted you can see how after the needle there are these lines which appear and then fade away - neat touch. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

UPDATE!

Just finished setting up my profile on the Mercedes Me website, which will further enhance the car and MBUX experience. This will all take effect later today when I drive the car out of the garage, the update should take effect after 20-30 minutes.

I also just downloaded the Mercedes Me app for my Android phone. Features such as locking/unlocking my car via my phone will be available. There is currently no information on my profile because I need to drive the car out of the garage, but it's midnight here and I am tired. Will do it later today.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

I forgot to mention that one of the features I ticked for my personal MBUX system is Car-To-X-Communication:ohyeah:

Description in the link below.

Link: https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mercedes-benz/innovation/car-to-x-communication/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

That's impressive...Expressed in simple terms, Car-to-X communication is the "radio-based exchange of information between vehicles, as well as between vehicles and traffic infrastructure," declares Dr. Christian Weiss, responsible for Car-to-X communication at Mercedes-Benz Development. "This has the advantage that we are also able to obtain information from points far outside the driver's field of vision, which is not the case with conventional sensors." This information provides the basis for a number of new assistance functions which complement the existing systems. "Car-to-X communication helps us let the driver know of hazardous situations early on

Presumably, it only talks to other MBs.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 29, 2018, 04:23:15 PM
That's impressive...Expressed in simple terms, Car-to-X communication is the "radio-based exchange of information between vehicles, as well as between vehicles and traffic infrastructure," declares Dr. Christian Weiss, responsible for Car-to-X communication at Mercedes-Benz Development. "This has the advantage that we are also able to obtain information from points far outside the driver's field of vision, which is not the case with conventional sensors." This information provides the basis for a number of new assistance functions which complement the existing systems. "Car-to-X communication helps us let the driver know of hazardous situations early on

Presumably, it only talks to other MBs.

Indeed. It's mind-blowing what they can do today.

And yes, this only works with other MBs right now, but I assume the industry will adopt a trend where all cars will "talk" to each other. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 29, 2018, 04:24:43 PM
Indeed. It's mind-blowing what they can do today.

And yes, this only works with other MBs right now, but I assume the industry will adopt a trend where all cars will "talk" to each other. ;)
Mandatory for driverless cars, I would think.

MrH

This is like more advanced Waze.  But until you get the entire industry on a standard, Waze will be better and faster.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I personally don't want my car having any network ability... Without some kind of well established/tested standard existing, who knows what security holes exist.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed