The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

Payman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 28, 2021, 09:59:37 AM
Is that price a typo? That's a killer deal

Definitely too good to be true. It's a dealership and they want you to call, but if they are using bait & switch tactics, they could find themselves in trouble.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2021, 01:12:54 AM
Trying to get this old timer to play ball (he responds to emails, but won't answer a few basic questions (engine size, etc.)):  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/graham-1978-rs-camaro-lt-price-reduced/7323658893.html

This is actually a fairly rare model. There were hundreds of thousands of LT Camaros made, but this is the RS LT. Thing is "RS" usually included decals which are not present on the car. Even so "RS" doesn't mean much - some small interior upgrades, like seats and the like.

Would have to be the 350 for me to bite, but most of the non Z/28 second-gen Camaros were 305. My first car was a '79, and I literally had nightmares of it being saddled with the 305 (bore is so small it requires its own zero-performance heads - 350 heads will NOT work).

Would prefer a 4 sp. but very rare in non-Z/28 cars. The most I'd do is (roller) cam, heads mods (2.02/1.60 valves, deck it a bit to get CR up, etc.), 3.42:1 gears and limited slip, and call it a day. '78 is my second favorite year of the 2nd gen Camaro as it's the only year with the wrap-around dash and bumper covers.

Roller cam conversion is too much work if the engine didn't come with one already, IMO.

I'd just swap in a Blueprint 383 and call it a day.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 28, 2021, 10:27:34 AM
Roller cam conversion is too much work if the engine didn't come with one already, IMO.

I'd just swap in a Blueprint 383 and call it a day.

Roller conversion kits are readily available - either way won't be too much work for me in the least. On a low(er) performance application such as this the benefit is quite small for sure, so I could see myself changing my mind when it comes to paying 4-5x the cost. That standby small block Chevy "RV" cam is as cheap as dirt and even more plentiful, and they work extremely well for something like this.

On a car this nice and original I would keep it all numbers matching. The stock rating was 185 hp, and the prescribed mods should get it to 250-275 hp net. With the stock performance gears (3.42:1 for auto cars) this would net a ~15.0 sec 1/4 mile car. Any quicker than that on the street for me starts to become sketch without modern performance/safety tech. Plus, you're probably into a looser converter and then it never ends (BTDT, and the utility is low/zero for me - I'd just buy a new Camaro or maybe a restomod at that point).

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2021, 01:38:54 PM
Roller conversion kits are readily available - either way won't be too much work for me in the least. On a low(er) performance application such as this the benefit is quite small for sure, so I could see myself changing my mind when it comes to paying 4-5x the cost. That standby small block Chevy "RV" cam is as cheap as dirt and even more plentiful, and they work extremely well for something like this.

On a car this nice and original I would keep it all numbers matching. The stock rating was 185 hp, and the prescribed mods should get it to 250-275 hp net. With the stock performance gears (3.42:1 for auto cars) this would net a ~15.0 sec 1/4 mile car. Any quicker than that on the street for me starts to become sketch without modern performance/safety tech. Plus, you're probably into a looser converter and then it never ends (BTDT, and the utility is low/zero for me - I'd just buy a new Camaro or maybe a restomod at that point).

Yeah, this Camaro is a cruiser and should be kept stock. Trying to turn it into something to compete with today's performance is an exercise in endless expense that ruins the point of getting this car in the first place.

GoCougs

I'd start first with the 3.42 gears and limited slip (the non-Z/28s were fitted with 2.41 gears!) which is worth more in performance than a cam and heads. That may well be enough.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2021, 01:12:54 AM
Trying to get this old timer to play ball (he responds to emails, but won't answer a few basic questions (engine size, etc.)):  https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/graham-1978-rs-camaro-lt-price-reduced/7323658893.html

This is actually a fairly rare model. There were hundreds of thousands of LT Camaros made, but this is the RS LT. Thing is "RS" usually included decals which are not present on the car. Even so "RS" doesn't mean much - some small interior upgrades, like seats and the like.

Would have to be the 350 for me to bite, but most of the non Z/28 second-gen Camaros were 305. My first car was a '79, and I literally had nightmares of it being saddled with the 305 (bore is so small it requires its own zero-performance heads - 350 heads will NOT work).

Would prefer a 4 sp. but very rare in non-Z/28 cars. The most I'd do is (roller) cam, heads mods (2.02/1.60 valves, deck it a bit to get CR up, etc.), 3.42:1 gears and limited slip, and call it a day. '78 is my second favorite year of the 2nd gen Camaro as it's the only year with the wrap-around dash and bumper covers.

For a person with a special attachment to a vehicle of this nature, I would say "go for it."  At this stage, it's more about show that go.  A nice set of pipes is all that's really needed.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on May 28, 2021, 02:17:44 PM
(the non-Z/28s were fitted with 2.41 gears!) 

I assume that's with a ~2.52 first gear ratio still? Yikes.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 28, 2021, 02:54:17 PM
For a person with a special attachment to a vehicle of this nature, I would say "go for it."  At this stage, it's more about show that go.  A nice set of pipes is all that's really needed.

The only major styling issue IMO with second-gen Camaros is indeed exhaust. Between the quarter panel deign and gas tank placement it's hard to make it look good. This '78 he added chrome tips but it just doesn't look right from the side with that quarter panel design.

Oh, and yes indeed! (This was a '79):

CaminoRacer

My dad's '71 exhaust is hidden. Comes out behind the rear wheel, tucked up behind the quarter panel. That's the way to go IMO

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 30, 2021, 10:50:08 AM
My dad's '71 exhaust is hidden. Comes out behind the rear wheel, tucked up behind the quarter panel. That's the way to go IMO

Duals. Vertical, through the hood. Toilet lids
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: GoCougs on May 30, 2021, 01:24:30 AM
The only major styling issue IMO with second-gen Camaros is indeed exhaust. Between the quarter panel deign and gas tank placement it's hard to make it look good. This '78 he added chrome tips but it just doesn't look right from the side with that quarter panel design.

Oh, and yes indeed! (This was a '79):

Nice color. Where's the "T" top?  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Saw two (70s?) Camaros right behind each other at a stoplight yesterday in Columbia SC. They had different headlights, one had round with chrome around them. Other may have been square?..
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on May 30, 2021, 04:01:58 PM
Nice color. Where's the "T" top?  :lol:

T-tops (and Z/28s) were for the rich kids! $3/hr bagging groceries didn't pay for that, as much as I tried.

It actually looked quite good but it twas the perfect car for a 16 year old - paint peeled easily, could barely do 90 mph (turns out bad cam), unit-body was bent from a previous wreck, AC didn't work, and sin of sins, couldn't do a burnout!!!

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on May 30, 2021, 09:25:27 PM
T-tops (and Z/28s) were for the rich kids! $3/hr bagging groceries didn't pay for that, as much as I tried.

It actually looked quite good but it twas the perfect car for a 16 year old - paint peeled easily, could barely do 90 mph (turns out bad cam), unit-body was bent from a previous wreck, AC didn't work, and sin of sins, couldn't do a burnout!!!

But your buddy got it airborne! 😀
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Speed_Racer

Ok the classic car market is getting a little ridiculous. '88 MR2 Supercharged sells for $51k USD  :hammerhead:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-toyota-mr2-supercharged-31/

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

It was a '74 Benz for $3000. Either a scam or it sold right away.

GoCougs

Looking for a car, maybe a project, depending. More drawn to the quirky and unsung as it seems more interesting. Thing is parts can be hard/impossible to come by, and why the staples (Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, and typical muscle cars (GTO, Road Runner, Chevelle, 442, Charger, etc.)) are so popular:

Love love Buicks  - 430 V8 and 360 hp - really looking for such a car but with buckets and center console (rare):

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/puyallup-1969-buick-riviera/7339729734.html

This is nice - if this had the 428 it would be a contender:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/seattle-1966-ford-ltd-56k-miles-rare/7334220679.html

This has been for sale on CL for like ~2 years, at the same price. The first gen Dharger interiors, especially that contiguous F/R center console - is mega (and NOT carried forward into the 2nd gen, which though is the best car ever made, was down market). Manual brakes though:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/d/bremerton-1966-dodge-hemi-charger/7333657328.html

And older Riviera - drum brakes though, and only the 401 single 4bbl V8 - also not a fan of the drop job but overall it's nice - that interior is something:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/d/bellevue-1965-buick-riviera-coupe/7330245356.html

Dat GMC V6 - probably too much work plus some hillbilly bed on it:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/everett-1963-thrifty-scotsman-gmc/7330376527.html

shp4man

Quote from: GoCougs on June 27, 2021, 12:23:47 AM
Looking for a car, maybe a project, depending. More drawn to the quirky and unsung as it seems more interesting. Thing is parts can be hard/impossible to come by, and why the staples (Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, and typical muscle cars (GTO, Road Runner, Chevelle, 442, Charger, etc.)) are so popular:

Love love Buicks  - 430 V8 and 360 hp - really looking for such a car but with buckets and center console (rare):

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/puyallup-1969-buick-riviera/7339729734.html

This is nice - if this had the 428 it would be a contender:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/seattle-1966-ford-ltd-56k-miles-rare/7334220679.html

This has been for sale on CL for like ~2 years, at the same price. The first gen Dharger interiors, especially that contiguous F/R center console - is mega (and NOT carried forward into the 2nd gen, which though is the best car ever made, was down market). Manual brakes though:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/d/bremerton-1966-dodge-hemi-charger/7333657328.html

And older Riviera - drum brakes though, and only the 401 single 4bbl V8 - also not a fan of the drop job but overall it's nice - that interior is something:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/d/bellevue-1965-buick-riviera-coupe/7330245356.html

Dat GMC V6 - probably too much work plus some hillbilly bed on it:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/d/everett-1963-thrifty-scotsman-gmc/7330376527.html

I like the Ford.  :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on June 27, 2021, 10:15:24 AM
I like the Ford.  :ohyeah:
Yes, the 390 FE was a real workhorse of an engine.  Perfect for a Saturday night cruiser.

My choice for a perfect cruiser would be either a '63-'64 Galaxie 500 convertible (red) or a '63 Pontiac Parisienne convertible (white with pale blue interior).  I'd settle for a Bonneville as well.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

That LTD is sweet. Price is probably too high though. My hunch is it'd need the 427/428 and/or red or black paint to get $24k.

The '60s 2 door personal/"luxury" coupes/2-door sedans (LTD/Galaxy, Buick Riviera, Olds Toronado, Chevy Impala, maybe a few others) are the shiznits these days for me. One could get the muscle car power but you got better styling and luxo/comfort touches.

JWC

Rat rods....get with man

At least you can find them. The only thing listed here was a 1964, flatbed 1/2 for 18K.  Obviously not original.

CaminoRacer

Maybe I should offload my El Camino now, might be my only chance to breakeven :lol:

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 01, 2021, 09:56:33 PM
Maybe I should offload my El Camino now, might be my only chance to breakeven :lol:

I hear ya.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 02, 2021, 07:02:27 PM
Jesus Christ, wouldja look at that:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-ford-bronco-19/

$260k spent on it (besides purchase price), doubt they'll get all that back...!
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 02, 2021, 07:23:54 PM
$260k spent on it (besides purchase price), doubt they'll get all that back...!

Look at the bids...