Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

AutobahnSHO

Will

shp4man

So I noticed the brake pedal on Ol' Blue getting close to the floor. Damn, just an adjustment? Leak somewhere? Crawled around under the truck, no leaks. Checked the master cylinder. Yep, not the 56 year old brake lines, but the 2 year old Chinese made master cylinder. Of course. should have checked that first.  :facepalm: Also been playing around with carb jets and tuning. Got the old six running pretty well.  :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

Do you have speed bleeders? I had one on my motorcycle, need to get some for the El Camino
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Gorgeous truck!
Will

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 23, 2021, 06:51:10 PM
Do you have speed bleeders? I had one on my motorcycle, need to get some for the El Camino

I just do gravity bleeds at home. Slow, but time isn't a big issue. At work? Yes.

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 23, 2021, 07:23:32 PM
Gorgeous truck!

Thanks. Wish I could give you a ride in it.  :ohyeah:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on May 23, 2021, 09:07:53 PM
Thanks. Wish I could give you a ride in it.  :ohyeah:

Some day!!!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

cawimmer430

Gimme the Malaise Era any day over the soulless EV future.  :praise:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMh5rTe-KY
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Was involved in a shoot over the last two days with an advertising agency and BMW. We shot the new iX. This is such a disturbing-looking vehicle, inside and out. Here's a behind the scenes. The drone is not mine.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

It looks about 200x better than the m3/m4 monstrosity
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Is it an SUVish type thing?

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 01, 2021, 02:10:44 PM

Tall body, normal ride height.  Seems like cars are regressing to the body styles of the pre-WW2 era.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Wagon reinvented

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 01, 2021, 02:10:44 PM

Yes. And it feels and looks really cheap inside. I get that they're playing the whole sustainability thing, but the plastics felt flimsy and cheap. Doors were incredibly light. The whole thing just felt cheap.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2021, 02:22:55 PM
Tall body, normal ride height.  Seems like cars are regressing to the body styles of the pre-WW2 era.
:ohyeah:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

JWC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 01, 2021, 07:20:18 PM
Yes. And it feels and looks really cheap inside. I get that they're playing the whole sustainability thing, but the plastics felt flimsy and cheap. Doors were incredibly light. The whole thing just felt cheap.

Headline:

BMW finally learns planned obsolescence.

MX793

Quote from: JWC on June 02, 2021, 05:55:36 AM
Headline:

BMW finally learns planned obsolescence.

It's funny how people associate a lack of weight or heft with cheapness.  I remember reading that at one point, Cadillac used to load their frames with lead weights because customers perceived a heavier car as being more luxurious.  Of course, that was at a time when the only way to make something lighter was to use less/thinner material, which meant less money to make and less robust construction.  They didn't have the advanced materials we have today, ranging from more advanced metallurgy to composites.  It often costs more money to make something light, because the expectation is that the reduction in weight not come at the expense of robustness.  But most of us still have this notion that "light is cheap".  Except cyclists.  When a cyclist picks up a featherweight CF frame or wheels, they recognize that such low weight is indicative of high end, expensive materials.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2021, 06:28:11 AM
It's funny how people associate a lack of weight or heft with cheapness.  I remember reading that at one point, Cadillac used to load their frames with lead weights because customers perceived a heavier car as being more luxurious.  Of course, that was at a time when the only way to make something lighter was to use less/thinner material, which meant less money to make and less robust construction.  They didn't have the advanced materials we have today, ranging from more advanced metallurgy to composites.  It often costs more money to make something light, because the expectation is that the reduction in weight not come at the expense of robustness.  But most of us still have this notion that "light is cheap".  Except cyclists.  When a cyclist picks up a featherweight CF frame or wheels, they recognize that such low weight is indicative of high end, expensive materials.

Weights in doors are still a thing; and there was a 10 pound weight on the bottom of the passenger side frame rail of the Land Cruiser. Nobody really seems to know what it was for.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

I always have perceived my Infiniti QX56 (the big ass Infiniti) as having skimped on the robustness of the doors compared with like size competitors because they are so light.  There's no satisfying "thunk" when you close them. 

CaminoRacer

ND Miata doors are surprisingly heavy, given the weight of the rest of the car. I think it's due to safety requirements. And the door skin is steel instead of aluminum or plastic like most of the other body panels. (I appreciate that, since it allows me to use my SCCA number magnets on the door)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2021, 06:28:11 AM
It's funny how people associate a lack of weight or heft with cheapness.

It's definitely a psychological aspect.

I get that light doors and an overall lighter cars helps reduce weight and thus energy consumption and probably plays a role in sustainability. The cheaper plastics and seat materials are definitely part of the sustainability aspect. I get that.

Still - it feels and looks cheap compared to what we're used to with most conventional luxury cars.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Found this great German channel on Youtube with some awesome short history videos on specific cars. Obviously it's in Kraut but hey, just activate the subtitle feature on Youtube.

NSU Ro-80. Still amazing to this day. Imagine how back in the day NSU really believed that the Wankel engine was the future and would replace piston-engined motors...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkPWUFuD3s

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 02, 2021, 11:24:39 AM
It's definitely a psychological aspect.

I get that light doors and an overall lighter cars helps reduce weight and thus energy consumption and probably plays a role in sustainability. The cheaper plastics and seat materials are definitely part of the sustainability aspect. I get that.

Still - it feels and looks cheap compared to what we're used to with most conventional luxury cars.

Lighter materials aren't necessarily cheaper materials.
Needs more Jiggawatts

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2021, 11:44:52 AM
Lighter materials aren't necessarily cheaper materials.

For sure, but when you get up close with the BMW iX next time, just touch the interior plastics. They feel awful. Really cheap.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

JWC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 02, 2021, 12:06:29 PM
For sure, but when you get up close with the BMW iX next time, just touch the interior plastics. They feel awful. Really cheap.

I would think items like door panels, well anything "plastic", would be made easier to recycle or made from biodegradable materials. There is a hemp based plastic that only last six months in the right environmental conditions. I know Saab used hemp-based plastics for their door panels, but they still felt as if they were strong.