Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Morris Minor

"Simplify, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights; subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" - Colin Chapman.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Pure EVs have rendered performance hybrids painfully obsolete at this point. $150k for what? A limp compromise.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: JWC on June 02, 2021, 12:24:21 PM
I would think items like door panels, well anything "plastic", would be made easier to recycle or made from biodegradable materials. There is a hemp based plastic that only last six months in the right environmental conditions. I know Saab used hemp-based plastics for their door panels, but they still felt as if they were strong.

Automakers are definitely taking the whole "sustainability" route and using materials that are in essence non-strategic and reusable and eco-friendly.

If I remember correctly Audi is refusing to offer leather on the new e-Tron GT and gives you some kind of.... vegan cloth whatever thingy. Which is cool. I am not a fan of leather anyway and would prefer cloth to it any day of the week.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

afty

I think Tesla started this trend by marketing their vinyl as "vegan leather." I think it's silly, but whatever.

Laconian

I thought the Germans have called it leatherette for decades...?

CaminoRacer

Polyurethane (PU) faux leather is 100% better than classic vinyl seats (PVC)

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on June 02, 2021, 08:55:33 PM
I think Tesla started this trend by marketing their vinyl as "vegan leather." I think it's silly, but whatever.

Between leather and fake leather, I'll take the synthetic stuff. ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

This Dutch guy on Youtube has a great car history channel. And his videos are in perfect English. Here's episode 1.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwCMUnkrno

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on June 02, 2021, 05:15:20 PM
Pure EVs have rendered performance hybrids painfully obsolete at this point. $150k for what? A limp compromise.
A lot of EV proponents feel the same way about any hybrid... lugging heavy generator sets around.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MrH

It's funny.  Nice polyurethane is definitely less sustainable than real leather.  Leather is largely a by-product of the meat industry.  Polyurethane is largely derived from petroleum I'm pretty sure.  I'd like to see a full life cycle analysis of the two, but yeah, "vegan" leather is funny.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on June 04, 2021, 06:48:39 AM
It's funny.  Nice polyurethane is definitely less sustainable than real leather.  Leather is largely a by-product of the meat industry.  Polyurethane is largely derived from petroleum I'm pretty sure.  I'd like to see a full life cycle analysis of the two, but yeah, "vegan" leather is funny.

I've never thought the notion of not eating animals was particularly moral anyway. I can understand the objections to factory farming (environmental issues + it can be particularly cruel to the animals) but a farm raised cow/chicken certainly live a better and less stressful like than your typical antelope in africa or deer in the north america. And its not like they would exist without human breeding them for food...at best there would be far fewer of them living in the wild, but really the ones that survived and bred successfully in the wild wouldn't resemble farm raises animals much anyway.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 04, 2021, 06:48:39 AM

The leather tanning business isn't great for the environment either, so it would be interesting to see an analysis.

Mushroom "leather" is probably the best environmentally.

Laconian

AFAIK mushroom leather doesn't last very long. Great for fashionable clothing; cars, not so much.

JWC

Naugahyde comes from a wild animal----the nauga.

(Old seventies joke).

Laconian

Quote from: JWC on June 04, 2021, 12:27:42 PM
Naugahyde comes from a wild animal----the nauga.

(Old seventies joke).

I'm pretty sure that joke was in Leisure Suit Larry 1 :lol:

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on June 04, 2021, 12:35:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that joke was in Leisure Suit Larry 1 :lol:

I first heard it when I worked at Scherba's in Millbrae Ca.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 04, 2021, 09:12:46 AM
The leather tanning business isn't great for the environment either, so it would be interesting to see an analysis.

Mushroom "leather" is probably the best environmentally.

Depends on the tanning process.  Chrome tanning, which is what they use for cars, yeah, it's pretty bad.  Vegetable tanning is better environmentally, but it's usually more expensive and not as durable.  After seeing both processes in person, polyurethane processing definitely looked dirtier, if that means anything :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

A high quality durable cloth is the best option. Especially if you can make it stain-proof.

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 04, 2021, 01:33:42 PM
A high quality durable cloth is the best option. Especially if you can make it stain-proof.
And UV resistant...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

My preference is mohair.  The feel is exquisite, like tiny soft bristles and no goats are killed in the process.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

I agree - the Accord had the best seats of any vehicle I've owned. Very short cloth (plus well bolstered and fitting). It was a rare model - base LX V6, and pretty sure its seats were specific only to that model. Anyway, leather cleans up better, esp. with kids, dogs or those with so-so personal hygiene, but I'd choose cloth every time over leather if possible, all else the same (which is never the case).

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

OMG.  :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P5WTj3E4K0

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 07, 2021, 02:38:53 AM
OMG.  :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P5WTj3E4K0
Bills videos are hilarious!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 08, 2021, 08:29:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JeH1qnb-bQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW9n234a1M8

I was just talking out loud about this as I was reading and wife said "LET'S GET IT"

-4000lbs towing
-hybrid 40mpg
-$20k

Unfortunately those don't all go together in one truck....
Will

12,000 RPM

I am just laughing at all the people who got their pitchforks out for Ford killing off their sedans

Ford officially called this the replacement for the Focus. Brilliant!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on June 08, 2021, 09:04:50 PM
Bills videos are hilarious!

I could listen to this guy for hours. He makes car reviews fun!

www.wimmerfotografie.de