Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 10, 2021, 05:31:30 AM
I am just laughing at all the people who got their pitchforks out for Ford killing off their sedans

Ford officially called this the replacement for the Focus. Brilliant!

Ford giveth and Ford taketh away.
They also gave us this abomination as a replacement for the Fiesta. Can't say which is worse though. It also starts at $20k, so RIP.

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 10, 2021, 03:53:05 PM
Ford giveth and Ford taketh away.
They also gave us this abomination as a replacement for the Fiesta. Can't say which is worse though. It also starts at $20k, so RIP.

I don't understand out the Maverick has a lower starting price than the EcoShit.  Or why the base EcoShit costs more than the Fiesta did.  I had an EcoShit as a rental a couple of years ago and it felt like something made for a 3rd world developing nation.  It should start at less than the Fiesta did, not more.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

My dad just drove up to Munich for a doctor's appointment. I will drive him to and later pick him up from the clinic with his B-Class.

My dad makes it a point to drive as frugal as possible with the B-Class which means on the Autobahn no faster than 120 km/h (75 mph). At any rate, he did turn off Start-Stop to keep the A/C running (its 40 degrees C here today) and drove up to Munich in Eco Mode.

The fuel economy you ask? An incredible 4.7 L / 100 km (50 mpg) and the range of the 44 Liter fuel tank was listed 740 km (463 miles) (if I were to continue to drive at 50 km in the city...). Those are impressively figures considering the A/C power was high and the stop-and-go city traffic he needs to go through to reach my place.

I enjoy driving his B200. It's pleasing and comfortable if somewhat dull and emotionless on the other hand. But I totally get why these cars are popular with senior citizens.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

50mpg in a non diesel, non hybrid is damn impressive. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on June 17, 2021, 08:30:26 PM

His best fuel economy achievement was 3.5 L / 100 km (67 mpg) when he drove down from Munich to Mühldorf. 35 km of Autobahn (at 120 km/h) and 40+ km of state roads. He even sent me a photo of the fuel economy. Must have been a very good day in terms of traffic lights, traffic, weather etc.

I've noticed that with my car it will need a liter of gasoline more when I leave the city to head towards the Autobahn - just by the nature of Munich traffic and the ridiculous constant red light setup.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Submariner on June 17, 2021, 08:30:26 PM

At first I assumed it was using the larger imperial gallons instead of US gallons, but it looks like it is indeed 50 MPG in US gallons.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

The Hoonitruck is for sale. Only $1.1 million. Someone here needs to cash out their 401k and buy it!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a36719816/ken-block-hoonitruck-for-sale/

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 18, 2021, 09:09:22 AM
The Hoonitruck is for sale. Only $1.1 million. Someone here needs to cash out their 401k and buy it!

r0tor!

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 18, 2021, 09:09:22 AM
The Hoonitruck :heated: is for sale. Only $1.1 million. Someone here needs to cash out their 401k and buy it!

The only one around here who could afford it is dazzle.  I'd love to see him behind the wheel.  I'd even volunteer to sit in the passenger seat.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

LOLS

Odyssey went to dealer to unclog the sunroof tubes. Carfax shows accident (big limb fell with previous owner, hood/windshield and fender all were repaired). almost 90k miles, 2012. 

Dealer left tag with phone# that they want to buy the car- for "$5875 to $7875".   KBB says $10-13k.
Will

cawimmer430

PART II

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXF5VJUr8U

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

r0tor

Mazda made a hydrogen powered RX8 about 15 years ago
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Just learned today that the Honda City came standard with a foldable little moped in the trunk called the Motocompo. It had 50cc and 2.5-horsepower. This is frigging cool! Every car should have this (with a small internal combustion engine, not an electric motor!!!). Screw bicycles!  :praise:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Motocompo

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 20, 2021, 11:56:45 AM
Two good videos:

https://youtu.be/2dgzKW8EKMc

https://youtu.be/l6ECwRnJ0Sg

And then he ruins your day and any prospective future for hydrogen usage in combustion engines for good. Depressing.  I want my internal combustion engine!!! :cry:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IPR50-soNA

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Little beauty...2022 Ferrari 296 GTB: New Looks and 818 HP of Twin-Turbo Hybrid V-6 Power

After years of rumors and speculation, Ferrari has finally unveiled the V-6-powered replacement to its mid-engine F8 Tributo supercar. Dubbed the 296 GTB, the car uses an all-new 120-degree twin-turbo V-6 paired with hybrid assistance, making a total of 818 horsepower and 545 lb-ft of torque. There's also a totally new design scheme and an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission sending power to the rear wheels. This is the future of Ferrari.

CaminoRacer

The greenhouse is very Ford GT.

FoMoJo

Not sure why they bothered sticking an electric motor in it.  654 from the I/C turbo should be plenty.  Adding an electric motor just adds weight and complexity.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 24, 2021, 01:47:41 PM
Not sure why they bothered sticking an electric motor in it.  654 from the I/C turbo should be plenty.  Adding an electric motor just adds weight and complexity.

The electric motor can compensate for turbo lag, smoothing power delivery.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 24, 2021, 03:22:52 PM
The electric motor can compensate for turbo lag, smoothing power delivery.
Certainly and boost during acceleration, as in an F1 car, but I doubt these are track cars.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 24, 2021, 04:09:09 PM
Certainly and boost during acceleration, as in an F1 car, but I doubt these are track cars.

It would actually pay even more dividends on the street.  Big boost generally comes with significant lag, particularly at partial throttle as one would drive a car on the street.  Basically squeeze the throttle, count a beat or two, then get thrown into the back of the seat.  The instant torque from the electric motor would smooth out the acceleration, boosting torque while the turbos are trying to spool up, making it feel a bit more like NA (instant thrust).
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

120 deg V6 is interesting but I'm surprised there really is a market for such a budget Ferrari.

But that much boost from a 3.0L would be an absolute bore to drive. The 2nd gen NSX pulled off the mixing of hybrid tech as a result to great effect (but of course nobody bought it).

GoCougs

But did somebody say V6?

GMC built ginormous V6s (5.0L - 8.0L) in the '60s and into the '70s for their heavier duty retail and commercial trucks/chassis. WAY ahead of their time - 60 degree banks and split pin crank. Apparently quite smooth.

Here's a sweet 1968 GMC with the 478 cubic inch V6 and M/T. Sweet rig. Even has the factory tach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKIlN9Z9Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvFks-6qrk

shp4man

Quote from: GoCougs on June 24, 2021, 04:33:24 PM
But did somebody say V6?

GMC built ginormous V6s (5.0L - 8.0L) in the '60s and into the '70s for their heavier duty retail and commercial trucks/chassis. WAY ahead of their time - 60 degree banks and split pin crank. Apparently quite smooth.
Here's a sweet 1968 GMC with the 478 cubic inch V6 and M/T. Sweet rig. Even has the factory tach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKIlN9Z9Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvFks-6qrk

Super high torque motor. They even built a double V6 for heavy truck applications.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on June 24, 2021, 04:59:04 PM
Super high torque motor. They even built a double V6 for heavy truck applications.

It's sure no Ferrari :lol:.

SJ_GTI

It's a beautiful car, especially in the grey/yellow color scheme.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 24, 2021, 01:47:41 PM
What they should have ditched was the turbochargers. At best use hybrid power to drive a supercharger, but leave the exhaust uncorrupted.

I think I said it here or on TCL. But turbo Ferraris sound like turbo 4 bangers. And the added power over a 458 Italia isn't even necessary.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 24, 2021, 06:40:19 PM
What they should have ditched was the turbochargers. At best use hybrid power to drive a supercharger, but leave the exhaust uncorrupted.

I think I said it here or on TCL. But turbo Ferraris sound like turbo 4 bangers. And the added power over a 458 Italia isn't even necessary.

To be fair, regular V8 Ferraris sound kind of like 4-bangers.  That's the FPC for you.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 24, 2021, 06:40:19 PM

Another article...Everything You Need to Know About Ferrari's Wild 120-Degree Twin-Turbo V-6

The simple exhaust piping is one of the reasons why Ferrari promises the engine will still create a satisfying sound. Here's how the company explains the noise:

Even to those outside the car, the shrill sound of the engine is instantly recognisable. The first in the F163 engine family, this V-6 earned itself the nickname "piccolo V-12" (little V-12) during the development phase. The 120-degree V architecture guarantees a symmetrical firing order while the equal-length, tuned exhaust manifolds combined with the single exhaust line outside the hot-V amplify the pressure waves. These characteristics are what lend such purity to the orders of harmonics, which are further helped by a limiter that hits an impressive 8500 rpm. The patented "hot tube" has been completely redesigned for the 296 GTB and is positioned prior to the exhaust gas treatment systems so that it channels the pure sound into the cabin, further enhancing driver involvement and excitement.

I'm not a fan of turbo noises, they were the single most disappointing F1 era, ugly sounds with flames shooting out of them.  When used, they the exhaust should be muffled completely, as they are on most cars, other than boy racer types.

Seems like Ferrari managed to make the noise, at least, acceptable.  Might want to check out a youtube when available.