FBC's 1999 Mazda Miata 10AE

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, June 22, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Well, finally got around to getting some pictures after I cleaned the car up and finished the suspension/wheels install. Not overly pleased with the results(the pictures). I grabbed the wrong lens for the camera and didn't have the benefit of image stabilization, and the lighting wasn't the best. So now that I got the excuses out of the way here are some pictures. Followed by a few posts about the suspension, sway bar, wheels/tires and the setup. I'm going to drive this for a while and enjoy it before I do much else with it. Looking to maybe grab a 4 wheel big brake kit, finish up some gauge installs and that would probably be all for this year. Took some pictures with top up and then top down, sorry no hardtop pictures. So, enjoy the pictures.

FlatBlackCaddy

This was a happy day, when I got all the stuff dropped off from Flyin Miata.

Fairly light for a 15x9

And what I started with. I'm NOT a fan of chrome wheels and these are some doozies. The finish, coupled with their narrow and sunk in nature just made the car look horrible. The ground effects just exaggerated the issue. Other than the day I drove the car home, it was straight to the garage she went and off to the internet to spend some money.

Adjustable V-Maxx's

The contents of FM's suspension kit. Coilovers, wrenches, Sway bars and bushings. Easy to unpack, slightly more work to put in.

Getting started

The fronts aren't too bad, you have to remove the upper a-arm(or atleast I found it easier that way) and pull it out with the shock.

Here she is after the coilovers are in and after a preliminary ride height setting. Already looking better.

Though the wheel gap has made a visual improvement, width still is a major issue. With the stock wheels I can see the desire to pull off the rocker extensions.

Horrible

Ughh

Ride height, car still has it's hard candy shell(hardtop).

FlatBlackCaddy

With the ride height set, and everything checked over and torqued down it was time for some fun.

Set up on pads with the scales, ready to go.

Checked the weight out prior to adding driver ballast. Hardtop was removed at this point.

2394 isn't too bad, considering the roughly 30-40 lbs that supercharger kit probably adds, roll bar must be another 15-30. Car had about 51% cross weight, so surely adding the drivers weight would require some adjustment. On my last miata I did not do any adjusting beyond ride height(I didn't have scales at the time) and it still handled very well. I'm hoping that even adressing this will be somewhat beneficial.

I added ballast, and was able to dial the cross weight back down to around %51(actually slight below at 50.8). I was very pleased with this.

So with the car set up and the perches tightened down I rechecked all my torques on the suspension components. Everything was good. Time to put on the new shoes.

Slight difference from stock.

Much better looking.

Filling out those fenders, this was the best change over stock, IMO.

Rear

And lastly it was onto setting the Front and Rear Camber and Toe. Got it back up on my pads and threw my home made slip plates(greasebags) under the tires.

Set up the strings and proceeded to take my measurements and make my adjustments.

After checking everything, rechecking, checking again, getting a drink of water and then triple checking all my measurements(got to love OCD) I was ready to go.

:lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

God damn photobucket resized them.

Speed_Racer

That looks like a riot to drive!

giant_mtb

Cookie Monster

Nice!

Was it corner balanced? It looks like the left is higher than the right side, so I figured it was to balance out your (fat?) ass. :devil: :lol:

Car looks good not slammed. I need to unslam mine.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rich

Jesus that's the best looking NB I've ever seen
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: thecarnut on June 22, 2015, 12:16:16 PM
Nice!

Was it corner balanced? It looks like the left is higher than the right side, so I figured it was to balance out your (fat?) ass. :devil: :lol:

Car looks good not slammed. I need to unslam mine.

Yes, it was balanced. I'm surprised you can see the difference. The ride height measurements barely vary by much more than a 1/16 of an inch.

As for the ride height, I kind of thought of lowering it a bit more(specifically in the rear). It's set just a bit under FM's suggestions. My last one was lower, and it would rub driving on and off the lift. This car doesn't rub, and after a blast down some of the really rougher roads around here it had not issues as far as bottoming out. Something that my last miata(lower) would do on occasion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 22, 2015, 12:19:36 PM
Jesus that's the best looking NB I've ever seen

I feel the same way, once I got those rims on and the ride height set I couldn't stop looking at it.

I'm very lucky, I would have never gotten this car if the dealer didn't turn down my offer for that 01 Green NB that I was dead set on buying. In the end I wouldn't budge(neither would they), and this is the end result.

My how the stars just align sometimes.

FlatBlackCaddy

I really love this color, I'm a blue pearl fan and this is a very nice color. Looks great on the NB body IMO.

FlatBlackCaddy

I dug my gopro out the other night and charged it up, I'll try to get some video this week/weekend and put it up. Really love the whine this thing makes.

68_427

I'd lower it.  :lol:

But it looks fucking good dude. 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on June 22, 2015, 12:31:04 PM
I'd lower it.  :lol:

But it looks fucking good dude. 

Since I already did all the weight setup and then wanted to lower it more I just decided to leave it(for now). That's too much work to redo the day after you finished it. I will probably readjust and fine tune ride height at a later date when I have some more time on my hands(winter).

68_427

True.  I only adjusted damping since my coilover install.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

That is a FANTASTIC looking Miata. Muchas congratulaciones. Should be a blast to drive, even as slow as it is.  :evildude:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 22, 2015, 04:58:37 PM
That is a FANTASTIC looking Miata. Muchas congratulaciones. Should be a blast to drive, even as slow as it is.  :evildude:

You can't even make the slow joke, though, because SC. :wub:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: thecarnut on June 22, 2015, 05:55:14 PM
You can't even make the slow joke, though, because SC. :wub:
It has to be making a whooping 195HP...........  :stirspot:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on June 22, 2015, 07:17:22 PM
It has to be making a whooping 195HP...........  :stirspot:

Obviously you would prefer it to have twice as much horsepower.

And twice as much weight.

And be half as good looking.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 22, 2015, 07:51:58 PM
Obviously you would prefer it to have twice as much horsepower.

And twice as much weight.

And be half as good looking.
The G8 is a looker....... Kinda like Brad Pitt or Denzel Washington! The Miata is cute. Kinda Like a Kitten Meme........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

What kind of bike is that in the background?

Car looks good, BTW.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Raza

That looks awesome.  Makes me fall in love with the NB all over again. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

You're what... not even $15,000 into this? Why do people buy new cars again???

Fantastic. You have inspired me sir.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

Rich

Can I just rig a bunch of these to the engine of my Miata?

:lol:

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo