FBC's 1999 Mazda Miata 10AE

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, June 22, 2015, 12:04:33 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on June 22, 2015, 09:12:17 PM
You're what... not even $15,000 into this? Why do people buy new cars again???

Fantastic. You have inspired me sir.

Probably not even 13k, these really are the best bang for the buck, imo. Hell even picking up a clean na and doing some light suspension mods and bolting a turbo kit on it should be doable for under 10k.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Laconian on June 22, 2015, 10:35:43 PM
What's the S/C good for?

I think they used to advertise them as 200hp. So about a 50hp (30 percent) increase. Doesn't sound like much but it's a huge difference over stock when you are behind the wheel. Sadly you can't get much more power out of them. There might be a flyin miata turbo kit in this cars future.

AutobahnSHO

gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so jealous, take some curves for me
Will

MexicoCityM3

That is incredible bang for the buck, really. Too bad these Miatas are not available here (only the NC is).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 23, 2015, 11:17:37 AM
That is incredible bang for the buck, really. Too bad these Miatas are not available here (only the NC is).

Never knew that you guys didn't get the miata's down there.

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 23, 2015, 11:53:00 AM
Never knew that you guys didn't get the miata's down there.

Can't tow a lawn mower
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 68_427 on June 23, 2015, 11:57:13 AM
Can't tow a lawn mower

Doesn't meet the required minimum passenger limit of 7 people.

68_427

Front tow points too weak to attach mule to.
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Are you anywhere near COTA? Join us for our track day in that Miata in a month.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 23, 2015, 12:04:03 PM

I don't know where COTA is, but I doubt I'm anywhere near it. I'm up in Minnesota, so everything in pretty far from me.

Besides, I'm sure you wouldn't want me there. My jokes are worse and more frequent in real life than they are on the internet.

68_427

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 23, 2015, 12:04:03 PM

He's at least 1.5X farther away than you are.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 23, 2015, 12:23:05 PM
I don't know where COTA is, but I doubt I'm anywhere near it. I'm up in Minnesota, so everything in pretty far from me.

Besides, I'm sure you wouldn't want me there. My jokes are worse and more frequent in real life than they are on the internet.

Just outside Austin, TX
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FlatBlackCaddy

Just got my new gopro mount today, picked up a rollbar clamp mount for the miata. Also dug out my gtech pro rr, i might try to get some 0-60 and some 0-60 (or 80) -0 just for shits and giggles.

Payman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 24, 2015, 08:44:35 PM
Just got my new gopro mount today, picked up a rollbar clamp mount for the miata. Also dug out my gtech pro rr, i might try to get some 0-60 and some 0-60 (or 80) -0 just for shits and giggles.

Post a short vid. I really want to hear this car.

FlatBlackCaddy

That was the plan, I'll have something by the weekend to post.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 24, 2015, 08:55:22 PM
That was the plan, I'll have something by the weekend to post.

:rockon:    thanks for supporting my vicarious Miata lifestyle   :lol:
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Here's a short video, it's not much. You can hear the supercharger a bit, but the wind noise drowns it out. It is much louder in person.

https://youtu.be/GAaFrDoFBIo

SVT_Power

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 30, 2015, 11:23:57 AM
Here's a short video, it's not much. You can hear the supercharger a bit, but the wind noise drowns it out. It is much louder in person.

More hand brake and drift0 required.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy

So at this point I'm pretty much set on converting over to a fmII turbo kit this winter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 30, 2015, 11:23:57 AM

:rockon:

FlatBlackCaddy

I figured you would pick apart my pictures in the op, considering the quick detail job i did.

;)

FlatBlackCaddy

Would have uploaded the other 15 minutes of that video, but it's just a bunch of the same old thing. It's a great road, worth the drive over to Wisconsin.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 30, 2015, 08:38:46 PM
I figured you would pick apart my pictures in the op, considering the quick detail job i did.

;)

Nah, man, it looks great in the pictures!  I applaud you for Doing It Yourself.  :rockon:

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 30, 2015, 08:44:14 PM
Would have uploaded the other 15 minutes of that video, but it's just a bunch of the same old thing. It's a great road, worth the drive over to Wisconsin.

That does look like a nice road.  I was down in Wisconsin for a bachelor party a few weeks ago and a few of the roads I took to get to the spot were pretty sweet and similar to that.  Nice long (fast) turns, good corner visibility, lots of slight elevation changes, etc.  But, I was in Truck.  :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2015, 08:57:57 PM
That does look like a nice road.  I was down in Wisconsin for a bachelor party a few weeks ago and a few of the roads I took to get to the spot were pretty sweet and similar to that.  Nice long (fast) turns, good corner visibility, lots of slight elevation changes, etc.  But, I was in Truck.  :lol:

Ive run the old f150 down some of my signature back roads. The results were, hilarious, to say the least.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2015, 08:55:45 PM
Nah, man, it looks great in the pictures!  I applaud you for Doing It Yourself.  :rockon:

If you were closer I'd rather pay a pro, but i can muddle my way through it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 30, 2015, 09:07:21 PM
If you were closer I'd rather pay a pro, but i can muddle my way through it.

You appear to have done a fine job.  Interior looks great, too.  What products/processes did you use on the paint?

FlatBlackCaddy

I just used a menzerna polish i had laying around with a ccs soft polish pad. Then 2 coats of collinite concours wax.

giant_mtb

Nice.  Never used a Menzerna.  Seems like quality stuff, though.