FBC's 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR NISMO

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, August 10, 2015, 12:01:22 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Well finally got some semi decent pictures of the car and figured it's time to start a thread. I cleaned it up the best I could given the fact that I was just dieing to get this thing on the street. It still needs some work, and could use a wetsand and buff instead of the quick one pass I did. Spent more time on the interior than anything.

I'll cover more details in the next post, but for now enjoy the pictures.

:lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

A few pictures from the day it was dropped off. It was pretty dirty from transit, but I didn't get a look at just how bad until later that evening. I was more concerned with the fact that it ran like shit when I moved it up the street and into the garage. I didn't really realize it at the time, but that evening when I got home and drove it up town to get gas it was obviously misfiring and running on 5 cyclinders.

Ordered some plugs for it and misc filters. Got lucky on the misfire issues as it turned out to be something extremely simple.

While changing the plugs I noticed a broken ground on the ignition harness. No ground and I would imagine very poor spark. Fixed the ground and slapped the new plugs in. Runs much better now and so I pretty much just did some fluid and filters. I hosed it off with some dawn to get it ready for polishing as well as did a light once over on the engine bay.

Time to move her inside and get on with the cleaning of the interior and exterior.

FlatBlackCaddy

I started with the interior, since it was pretty filthy and I knew I would spend a lot of time in there. There was a lot of junk installed in there(electronics) that I needed to dewire. I have to do this with just about everything I get, for some reason. Poorly installed security systems seem to be all the rage, often times they are nothing but problematic..at best. There was also some other random stuff in there(some toll pass system of some sort).

I kind of figured it would be a breeze, but what a mess.

This is actually AFTER I removed the bulk of the wiring, still needed some housekeeping for sure.

The pullout.

The car did not have a radio, but if I had to guess I'd say there was one in there at one point.

I wasn't even going to try to salvage the wiring for the radio. Figured I'd just pull the mess and start over.

Ended up pretty deep into this dewiring. The worst I've ever been in.

Plus side is that while I was in there I cleaned up the IP, I like a nice clean/clear panel.

Before

After

After about 2 days of this I finally had it pretty well cleaned up and got my wiring added in. Big difference and my wiring was obviously done with a bit more care than whoever the hell was in there.

After that I pretty much took all the seats out and shampooed the carpet and seats as well as repaired a few spots on the seats. I also modified the brackets to be a little more US friendly(increased travel on drivers seat and lowered passenger seat).

FlatBlackCaddy

The interior was a real treat, I'll just leave it at that. Cleaned pretty much every surface ATLEAST 3 times, some still need to be recleaned. The windows were just nasty.

The upholstery cleaned up nicely, it just took a lot of elbow grease. I think it's at a nice usable point right now but can certainly use a more thorough and detailed touch.

At this point I was just excited to get everything back together and get some seat time. All I had to do was install a few things and give it a once over(tire pressure, torque lugs, etc).

A nice surprise was my first official MOD that showed up on friday afternoon just before the big weekend.

Little did I know that I wasn't JUST buying a strut bar, but I was thrusting myself into a new way of life, a new way of looking at the world and essentially a new plane of existence.

:winkguy:

This pretty much brings us up to this past weekend, I took the car on a nice 3 hour drive on saturday to get some pictures(weather didn't help too much but I made it work). I spent most of the ride playing with the boost controller setting up a low and high program.

The car rides nice(had to dial the shocks back a bit) and is pretty comfortable. Base(stock) boost is pretty bleh, but the low setting feels good and the high setting(set at about 18psi) feels shocking compared to the base level.

At this point I'm just going to continue to pick my way through it with regard to maintenance and service items. I had a few things I would have liked to address but decided to push them off to a later date so I could get this thing on the road.

Long term I'm sure I'll pick up a standalone, some injectors and take advantage of some of the mods that are on it. My buddy keeps laughing at me when I tell him that my goal is a 600HP street tuned R32. It's not the goal he laughs at, but the fact that I keep referring to it as a "mild" tuned R32. It's all relative I guess.  :lol:

Really though that is the point at which some major things would have to be addressed. Being a Nismo model, the car uses steel turbine turbos vs the stock GTR's ceramic. I've read that the stock turbo's are good for 550-600hp. I think the only thing keeping me from the mid 500's is a good ECU, larger injectors and the air metering device. Though if I swith to a MAP system that should eliminate that obstacle.

The winters are long here, so hopefully I can make some good ground on this, and the other projects in the coming months.

Payman

Love the R32. Best looking of all the Skylines IMHO. She cleaned up real good.  :ohyeah:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on August 10, 2015, 12:23:29 PM
Love the R32. Best looking of all the Skylines IMHO. She cleaned up real good.  :ohyeah:

I think so too, though the 34's are pretty cool. But it's hard not to admire the lines of this thing.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

Soup DeVille

When I grow up, I wanna be just like you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

Muchas felicidades.

That's an extremely cool car. No room for slow jokes this time.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

That's awesome.

If you don't mind, how much did it run you?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 10, 2015, 06:42:28 PM
That's awesome.

If you don't mind, how much did it run you?

Im in it for pretty much what I got when I sold my evo8. These are priced all over the place, but if you are shopping used 8,9s then these are a nice option to be different. I was looking at evos again, and figured what the hell.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

This is big

Bigger than Char's car

Mine even.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2015, 08:01:35 PM
This is big

Bigger than Char's car

Mine even.

:huh:

It isn't much bigger than the 300z, I think it's technically a mid size.

Laconian

I hear Gran Turismo 1 menu music when I see your car. Looks awesome.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FlatBlackCaddy

I should make a jpop playlist to blast while I'm cruising through town.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 10, 2015, 08:56:43 PM
:huh:

It isn't much bigger than the 300z, I think it's technically a mid size.

No, big as in monumental. There is one in my neighborhood, they are just about the perfect size.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Fuck you fbc. I fucking love that car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 14, 2015, 05:48:02 AM
Fuck you fbc. I fucking love that car.

It's possible to get one for the price of a new Axnt.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on August 14, 2015, 06:30:46 AM
It's possible to get one for the price of a new Axnt.

Axnt has 1,0000,0000 mile warranty and gets 30 mpg.  :cry:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

Well I replaced the steering rack bushings and the steering shaft bushings. Trying to get to the bottom.of some drive ability issues.

Still no luck, i think the tires are playing a pretty big role, but I'm going to keep updating suspension items that are wear related. Also probably going to use the.spl hicas elimator bars i have for my z on the gtr. Ill order another pair in the future for the z.

FlatBlackCaddy

Got a care package from Japan.

The car already has all the sensors installed. So just need to plug in the defi link controller and mount up the gauges.

Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and boost. All in metric, No big deal though. They found my first choice of red gauges, so thats cool.

CaminoRacer

Whoa. How did I miss this.

I'm jealous.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FlatBlackCaddy

The best place to hide something on politics-spin is to put it in one of the automotive forums....:lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

Also, you only come to the garage to talk about your mullet mobile. Other people have cars too you know.... :nono:

:rastaman:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 05, 2015, 09:29:39 PM
Also, you only come to the garage to talk about your mullet mobile. Other people have cars too you know.... :nono:

:rastaman:

And you bought it during my absence.

Maybe I should leave again so someone will buy another kickass car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV