The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

giant_mtb

To people that aren't fully educated on vehicles as we are...does putting something like an Escalade on its own as its own "brand" really make a difference?  I mean...do most people understand that an Escalade is a Tahoe?  Splitting everything into its own "brand" doesn't make a lick of difference.  An Escalade is an Escalade, whether it has the word "Cadillac" in front of it or not...it's still built by GM in the same factory.

12,000 RPM

The success of the Mercedes CLA shows the power of branding. Today, "Escalade" means more than "Cadillac", which warrants leveraging IMO.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Well, I suppose people are easily duped by branding.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 15, 2018, 10:41:42 AM
The success of the Mercedes CLA shows the power of branding. Today, "Escalade" means more than "Cadillac", which warrants leveraging IMO.

Has that ever worked?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

I bet there's more people that know what an Escalade is than people who know it's a Cadillac.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

So, how are we looking at this...

a) $150,000 (assumption) for a Chevy??? Nobody's going to buy this!

b) This is basically a more reliable, better built, and more fuel efficient Huracan, at half the cost!

12,000 RPM

$150K would be insane. I could see these starting in the 5 figure range, killing off the C7 Z06 and taking over that space in the Corvette lineup.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 16, 2018, 06:31:58 AM
$150K would be insane. I could see these starting in the 5 figure range, killing off the C7 Z06 and taking over that space in the Corvette lineup.

Why?

The Ford GT is $400k and the ZR-1 is faster than it on some tracks. I would expect this mid engine one will be even faster, so why would it be cheaper?

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 16, 2018, 11:12:18 AM
Why?

The Ford GT is $400k and the ZR-1 is faster than it on some tracks. I would expect this mid engine one will be even faster, so why would it be cheaper?

The current Ford GT is a ripoff. With a V6 of all things. The prior '04-'06 had the right price at ~$150,000. I'm with the new ME 'Vette up to this price point, maybe a little more. If it's priced at 488 and Huracan levels, the business model falls apart.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on August 16, 2018, 11:18:27 AM
The current Ford GT is a ripoff. With a V6 of all things. The prior '04-'06 had the right price at ~$150,000. I'm with the new ME 'Vette up to this price point, maybe a little more. If it's priced at 488 and Huracan levels, the business model falls apart.

My last sentence probably wasn't clear - I meant why would the ME be cheaper than the ZR-1. Definitely shouldn't be $400k like the Ford GT unless it has major performance and limited numbers.

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 16, 2018, 11:35:03 AM
My last sentence probably wasn't clear - I meant why would the ME be cheaper than the ZR-1. Definitely shouldn't be $400k like the Ford GT unless it has major performance and limited numbers.

Ah... gotcha.

CaminoRacer

I think starting at $140k and going up to $170k is likely.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 16, 2018, 11:12:18 AM
Why?

As far as speed goes they're saying the base engine will be a 600HP V8.... a hair less than the Z06 so that seems fair

There are a few problems with the $150K base price outside of that.... for starters it's a 200% increase. I don't think any car has successfully done that in one generation, even something this iconic

Secondly the $150K sports car space is fucking stacked.... GT-R NISMO, AMG GT, 911 GTS/GT3/Turbo, V8 Vantage, etc... most of which will be about as capable while having way more pedigree. This is not a rational space, plus most people can't drive so the added performance is just for dick waving anyway. Now in the $100K space there's a huge opportunity... all you can get there are base 911s and 718s with painted center consoles. But the whole "cheap supercar killer" thing has been done so many times I think GM needs a new angle for this. ZR1 is faster than a lot of more expensive and higher pedigreed cars. Does anyone really care? We know the formula, that problem has been solved.

Payman

200% increase over what??? This is the first mid-engine American made supercar besides the current Ford GT since the GT of '04-'06, which also started at $150,000 (more like $175k today). This isn't a tarted up current Corvette. It's an all new exotic using 'Vette mechanicals and branding. In any case, $150k is a guess. It might be $120,000, and it might be Ford GT money.

Xer0

I read the base engine will be the Vette's current 6.2L.  At the top end this thing will probably be expensive with the new TT V8, all the active aero they just patented, trick shocks, carbon ceramic brakes, torque vectoring, and whatever GM packages in.  But base probably won't be too bad, imo, I'm guessing around 100K, probably less.  I don't think GM is stupid to price this thing at more than a 911 to start.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on August 17, 2018, 08:47:47 AM
200% increase over what??? This is the first mid-engine American made supercar besides the current Ford GT since the GT of '04-'06, which also started at $150,000 (more like $175k today). This isn't a tarted up current Corvette. It's an all new exotic using 'Vette mechanicals and branding. In any case, $150k is a guess. It might be $120,000, and it might be Ford GT money.
It's replacing the Stingray isn't it? And it will be called the Corvette, correct? Yes I know this is going to be all new and mid-engined yadda yadda. But at the end of the day it's still called a Corvette, for better or worse.

This may be an instance in which the Cadillac brand could be put to good use. I think a $150K+ Cadillac will be more palatable than a $150K+ Chevrolet (that isn't a Silverado)

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 17, 2018, 11:15:13 AM
It's replacing the Stingray isn't it? And it will be called the Corvette, correct? Yes I know this is going to be all new and mid-engined yadda yadda. But at the end of the day it's still called a Corvette, for better or worse.

This may be an instance in which the Cadillac brand could be put to good use. I think a $150K+ Cadillac will be more palatable than a $150K+ Chevrolet (that isn't a Silverado)

What??? No! Who said it's replacing the Stingray, or any of the other 'Vette models? Did you gloss over the entire thread without reading anything?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 17, 2018, 11:15:13 AM

They already tried putting Cadillac on a Corvette.  Barely cracked 15k sales.

I don't really understand your obsession with the brand name.  "If it costs $XX, it should be a Cadillac!"  That's silly, man.

Laconian

Cadillac has zero brand equity among the demographic that can drop $150k+ on a car.

Chevrolet might be a mass market brand, but Corvettes do have a long and celebrated history that will appeal to rich enthusiasts. But Cadillac? Not classy enough for the snobs, and no H&H for the cognoscenti.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Cadillac still hasn't proven it can be a 6-figure car. Corvette has by routinely beating them.

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on August 17, 2018, 11:43:00 AM
Cadillac has zero brand equity among the demographic that can drop $150k+ on a car.

Chevrolet might be a mass market brand, but Corvettes do have a long and celebrated history that will appeal to rich enthusiasts. But Cadillac? Not classy enough for the snobs, and no H&H for the cognoscenti.

You run out of Italian-Americans at that price level, and there's only so many rappers around.  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on August 17, 2018, 11:20:32 AM
What??? No! Who said it's replacing the Stingray, or any of the other 'Vette models? Did you gloss over the entire thread without reading anything?

The most we got in this thread is that they might keep building the C7 for a few years, and that you "hope" they do.

Being that this is the C8, and previous Corvette chassis' replaced each other, why is it so insane to you to think the C8 will be the C7's replacement? If they were going to be built alongside each other it seems rational that they'd move to a different chassis code (i.e. CM1).

CaminoRacer

Do we even know it's a "C8"? It's just what everyone's calling it AFAIK

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on August 17, 2018, 11:20:32 AM
I'm pretty sure it's replacing the C7. GM says the current model will built along side the C8 for 2-3 years but after that the front engine Vette goes away for good. With the Camaro being so close in performance to the C7 I think GM is gonna let it handle "Front Engined Duties". As far as price I'm willing to bet the C8 starts in the 90-100K range.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 17, 2018, 12:48:52 PM
Do we even know it's a "C8"? It's just what everyone's calling it AFAIK

That's fair, I thought of that as I posted that.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

If they want to charge $150k for this thing, I think they would be better calling this a Zora rather than a Corvette... Would be easier to sell starting with a blank slate
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on August 17, 2018, 05:03:12 PM
If they want to charge $150k for this thing, I think they would be better calling this a Zora rather than a Corvette... Would be easier to sell starting with a blank slate

How? No one knows what a Zora is. Corvette has lots of H&H

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 17, 2018, 05:59:17 PM
How? No one knows what a Zora is. Corvette has lots of H&H

Corvette has the history and heritage of being a budget performance car... Not what you want to go after the $150k price range
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed