What should I get as a commuter car

Started by NomisR, June 02, 2018, 05:18:58 AM

NomisR

I've been driving around in an X3 for the past week and I missed having a regular ICE engine.  I want to trade in my Volt for a new car.  Another reason is my HOV sticker is going to expire at the end of the year, but I also want something more fun to drive.  Here's a few cars I'm considering

1. Chevy Bolt - This is a fun car, more so than the Volt because it's quicker, smaller.  It'll make my commute even cheaper because I don't even need to charge at home anymore, the charging at work would be enough to last for my commutes.  And getting this car would get me a carpool sticker that would last till 2022

2. BMW 330e - This seems like a good go between of an ICE car and an electric, I get some benefit from charging, quick acceleration and good handling, but no HOV sticker and new model coming out

3.  Alfa Romeo Giulia - I'm leaning towards this one because I just like it.  Decent mileage, good handling, quick.. fun to drive... downside.. probably reliability...

I might end up leasing simply because with electric, they seem to be upgrading with newer improved tech every other year, and with the Giulia, I don't know if it would last past the lease period.. plus I can write it off on taxes.. 

Any other possible options or opinions on these cars?

Lebowski

How much time approx does the HOV sticker save each weekday?  Depending on your commute that could make the Bolt pretty attractive, and it would be my first choice out of the electrics anyway I think.

If you go with a combustion engine, that's easy - CRV.

Payman

Depends on what's most important to you I guess. From the choices it looks like you don't have that nailed down. If it's electric, then yeah Bolt all the way. As for the Alfa, I love them too but if I'm looking at the V6 model, I'd also look at the Stinger GT. From reviews it seems pretty close to the Alfa, looks great, and you can probably get the top model for similar price as the bottom Alfa. Plus, you can probably get full free service for the lease term from Kia, and it might prove more reliable. Looks very Italian in red, IMHO.

NomisR

With HOV, I would probably save up to 1 hour every day depending on the traffic, a lot of the times, less because of hyper-miling assholes in Prius or Leafs holding up traffic... especially Prius drivers.

Originally, I was considering the Bolt as a replacement, but the more I heard the exhaust more, the more I'm thinking, fuck sensibility.  My wife seems to like the Giulia too so that's a plus.  If I get that, I would probably go with the Ti Sport model with the I4 + LSD, not the V6 since that doesn't seem like a great commuter car. 

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Out of the BMW range I'd try if possible to stretch to the 530e. It is a much more refined car than the 3.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

NomisR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 02, 2018, 07:17:03 AM
Out of the BMW range I'd try if possible to stretch to the 530e. It is a much more refined car than the 3.

Good one, this one would have the HOV sticker option too.  It's a little bit bigger than what I would like though.  I would have to clean up the garage a bit for it to fit. 

MexicoCityM3

One of my partners has one. Not sporty but an excellent commuter. Very refined and super smooth and comfortable.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on June 02, 2018, 06:29:27 AM

With HOV, I would probably save up to 1 hour every day depending on the traffic, a lot of the times, less because of hyper-miling assholes in Prius or Leafs holding up traffic... especially Prius drivers.

Originally, I was considering the Bolt as a replacement, but the more I heard the exhaust more, the more I'm thinking, fuck sensibility.  My wife seems to like the Giulia too so that's a plus.  If I get that, I would probably go with the Ti Sport model with the I4 + LSD, not the V6 since that doesn't seem like a great commuter car. 

An extra hour a day (or even "up to" an hour/day) is damn near priceless IMO.  Bolt no question.

Raza

An extra hour is a lot to give up. But then again, driving a boring car sucks. I say MX-5.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

K-series swapped Insight. End of conundrum.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Just for commuting, or does it need to serve as a family car as well?  Fiat Spider would be nice.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: Lebowski on June 02, 2018, 07:53:41 AM

An extra hour a day (or even "up to" an hour/day) is damn near priceless IMO.  Bolt no question.

:hesaid:  Honestly I'm not sure why you would even consider a car that you can't use in the carpool or whatever they call it lanes. 

Every day you're going to be sitting in traffic in your sexy Giulia watching a Bolt zip by you and you're gonna be saying to yourself, #$@&%*!

Sometimes, you just gotta let gubt win.  It's not worth it.

Payman

Hold up. Save an hour each day? How long is your commute???  :confused:

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on June 02, 2018, 11:26:11 AM

Ha... welcome to Kalifornia traffic.  :lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: veeman on June 02, 2018, 11:22:31 AM

:hesaid:  Honestly I'm not sure why you would even consider a car that you can't use in the carpool or whatever they call it lanes. 

Every day you're going to be sitting in traffic in your sexy Giulia watching a Bolt zip by you and you're gonna be saying to yourself, #$@&%*!

But the POS Giula is "more fun"!

Really?  More fun than what you'd be doing with that hour of found time?  People saying that must not be even trying.

2o6

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: Rockraven on June 02, 2018, 11:26:11 AM

32 miles each way, so I'm saving about 30 mins each way.    Although the savings may be reduced because a portion of the commute is on a toll road which saves majority of the time and LA county is looking to not have HOV cars allowed for free.  So I may end up saving a max of 20 mins if that happens.

CaminoRacer

Lol I ended up on one of those stupid to roads and forgot to pay online. We'll see what they send my parents in the mail (license plate is their KY address)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on June 02, 2018, 01:04:00 PM
Don't you have a fucking ELISE?

Not with me most of the time since I only have a 2 car garage.. and no time to drive it

NomisR

The more I look at the pricing, with the discounts that's being offered on the Giula Quadrifoglio, I'm kinda leaning towards that..

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on June 02, 2018, 11:22:31 AM

No, boring car is death! All sacrifices to drive internet approved cars are worth it!!!

There are a lot of choices that will keep the HOV sticker. Q50 hybrid has the old VQ + 7 speed for example. Tons of new hybrids for sale that are decent to drive.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

NomisR

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 03, 2018, 05:36:54 AM
No, boring car is death! All sacrifices to drive internet approved cars are worth it!!!

There are a lot of choices that will keep the HOV sticker. Q50 hybrid has the old VQ + 7 speed for example. Tons of new hybrids for sale that are decent to drive.

Q50 hybrid doesn't qualify for the HOV in CA.  Even the CT6 Plug in which is similar to the Volt doesn't qualify due to emissions.  The list of cars that would qualify isn't really that big..

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

mzziaz

If you go the Bolt route, make sure you try out the seats properly. They are not for everyone (rather shitty).
That being said, my wife enjoys it. it is zippy and effortless driving. The interior is nowhere near a Giulia, though.
Cuore Sportivo

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on June 02, 2018, 09:45:54 PM

Not with me most of the time since I only have a 2 car garage.. and no time to drive it

"No time" to enjoy your existing fun car and you are even entertaining voluntarily surrendering up to an hour of free time a day?  For a POS Giulia?  Insanity!

And if you're not using the Elise, sell it too.

veeman

It seems like California is yearly changing their requirements for what is allowed in the carpool lane.  If you don't go fully electric, but still want to use the lane, I'd lease so you're not stuck with a hybrid type car whose value has plummeted.

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on June 03, 2018, 10:22:46 AM
It seems like California is yearly changing their requirements for what is allowed in the carpool lane.  If you don't go fully electric, but still want to use the lane, I'd lease so you're not stuck with a hybrid type car whose value has plummeted.

IIRC once you get a sticker, you keep it. Friend's '08 Civic Hybrid got a sticker, still good today.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

30 mins is a fuckton of time.

I'd get the bolt. Not to mention, doesn't the Bolt have all sorts of incentives?